Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 2007  (Read 52352 times)

Harry Potter

• View Profile
Re: USD 2007
« Reply #250 on: July 03, 2007, 12:09:14 PM »
Does anyone know what computers are compatible with the USD exam software and the Bar exam software?  Thanks.

Law9486

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2007, 01:33:16 AM »
Does anyone know what computers are compatible with the USD exam software and the Bar exam software?  Thanks.

I think sno or I answered this early, but here's at go at it again. The only system that USD will fully support is Windows XP on a PC. They have expressed concerns about reliability of both Vista and Windows on Macs - as of last semester, I dont think you could use either. As far as just macs (without Windows), they claim that they are working on it, but right now it is not allowed at all.

They have no released anything (to us at least) about use for next semester. However, I wouldnt expect too much - apparently these have been issues for awhile.

snobord99

« Reply #252 on: July 06, 2007, 03:21:02 AM »

I think sno or I answered this early, but here's at go at it again. The only system that USD will fully support is Windows XP on a PC. They have expressed concerns about reliability of both Vista and Windows on Macs - as of last semester, I dont think you could use either. As far as just macs (without Windows), they claim that they are working on it, but right now it is not allowed at all.

They have no released anything (to us at least) about use for next semester. However, I wouldnt expect too much - apparently these have been issues for awhile.

i actually heard (recently, like, within the last 2 weeks) that some people were able to use their vista last semester...but the safe bet is still xp on a pc...

yanksfan324

« Reply #253 on: July 08, 2007, 11:52:49 PM »
The latest on using Vista for exams, as of April:

http://www.sandiego.edu/usdlaw/sturesources/exams/laptop/index.php

ExamSoft
April 12, 2007 - A Message From The Dean's Office Regarding Windows Vista

It has come to our attention that ExamSoft has approved the use of SofTest on the Windows Vista operating system. Despite this announcement, we do not recommend that law students install SofTest on Vista with the expectation that they will be able to use it with ExamSoft for spring exams. Since Vista is such a major change to previous Windows versions, anyone who attempts to use Vista with ExamSoft may encounter severe problems with speed and reliability.  These problems could have a serious impact on your ability to take exams.   Although we do not recommend the use of Vista with ExamSoft, we will support such use in certain instances.  If you have any questions about this, please contact the Records Office.

SofTest, a product of ExamSoft Worldwide, Inc., provides students the ability to take an examination on a personal computer by locking down all other Windows applications, thereby reducing the risk of violations of the student honor code. SofTest serves as a simplified word processor similar to Microsoft Word or Corel WordPerfect for essay responses, including cut, copy and paste features, font size and style adjustment, as well as the ability to undo up to 50 previous actions per essay question window. ExamSoft has FlexSiteT, which allows students to download from the Internet (by the appropriate deadlines) an electronic bluebook for each exam and to upload their exam answers to the Internet from the exam room. All of the USD classrooms have wireless connections to the Internet.

I'm going to give a call today to see what the deal is before shelling out money for a new computer I can't even use for exams.

Law9486

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 09, 2007, 12:15:51 AM »
So, this is kindof random, but if anyone did decide to take the summer class at Cal Western, I have my outlines if you want them. I did a lot of work for that class and they were pretty good. It totally defeats the purpose of the class, but since its graded for CW students, I thought I would throw it out there.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #255 on: July 09, 2007, 12:54:51 PM »
So, this is kindof random, but if anyone did decide to take the summer class at Cal Western, I have my outlines if you want them. I did a lot of work for that class and they were pretty good. It totally defeats the purpose of the class, but since its graded for CW students, I thought I would throw it out there.

I wouldn't mind them at all.
I'd like them as reference after I do my own outlining to see if there are any themes or details that I missed out on. 

yanksfan324

« Reply #256 on: July 09, 2007, 07:16:51 PM »
USD told me Vista is fine.

SocalCash

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: July 12, 2007, 02:16:44 AM »
95% sure Im going to USD this fall.  Cant wait.

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 12, 2007, 04:14:58 AM »
95% sure Im going to USD this fall.  Cant wait.

Hope to see you there!  :)
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

missmy2

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 15, 2007, 12:58:56 AM »
Wow, I haven't been here on a while and there are so many post to catch up on!  Ugh, so this thing for some reason will not let me log on to my original user name (missmy) so I created a clone.

Anyhow, I'm sure this topic has been covered a billion times over, but UGH  >:( how sucky is housing in SD?  I think I went down 3 weekends in a row for entire days before I found a fellow 1L roommate and a suitable, somewhat affordable apartment in Mission Valley.  We're currently locking it down.

I just wanted to say goodluck to anyone still looking, hope your experience didn't suck as much as mine!  I suggest you start the search now, even if you aren't 100% sure about attending.

... Moving August 10th, so if anyone wants to hang out before orientation, I think my roommate and I are up for it.