Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 2007  (Read 51934 times)

snobord99

Re: USD 2007
« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2007, 04:34:18 PM »
hahaha...this forum was for you incomings! alright, fine, i'll ask...when's everyone coming?

IONLYKNOWY

« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2007, 06:17:34 PM »
hahaha...this forum was for you incomings! alright, fine, i'll ask...when's everyone coming?

Moving the August 3rd - August 6th. 

For all of the current students.. as far as financial aid goes..

Once they give you your FA budget, then USD has you fill out and mail in two forms telling them which lender that you are using for your Stafford and GRADPLUS loans.

After you fill these two forms out and mail them to USD, do you still need to apply for the loans?  Or does USD take this form (which includes your SSN) and apply for the loans for you?

snobord99

« Reply #172 on: May 22, 2007, 06:35:27 PM »

Once they give you your FA budget, then USD has you fill out and mail in two forms telling them which lender that you are using for your Stafford and GRADPLUS loans.

After you fill these two forms out and mail them to USD, do you still need to apply for the loans?  Or does USD take this form (which includes your SSN) and apply for the loans for you?

i actually don't remember, so unless someone else has an answer, you'll have to look into it yourself...even if someone knows, you should still check into it yourself...it's not something you want to leave to hearsay on the internet

kaifactor

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 22, 2007, 06:35:40 PM »
I'll be there in mid-July and staying in Pac beach until I can figure out where I am going to live. Hopefully the answer will come in my sleep, as I still can't make up my mind about my living situations.

Those questions were fun. Between baseball, chilling outside and the occasional cocktail, I think it is safe to say that I like this group's style. Btw, did anyone catch that USD's baseball team is kicking ass and taking names right now?

So I got bored at work and thought of some more questions (although you all gotta help me out next time cause I'm running out of ideas)...

7) Undergrad/Major?
8) Thoughts about or before law school?
9) Are you doing one of those law school prep classes? Current students, did you take one or do you have any recs?
10) Planning on practicing local after graduation or going to LA or somewhere else?
11) Most interesting life experience?
12) What you'd do if you weren't going to law school?

And my answers
7) Wabash College. Tiny all-male school in the middle of Indiana, but there's no place I would have rather gone. English and Religion double major.
8) Not sure if I'm just being short-sighted or really have no clue what I am in for, but I'm not really that nervous about school starting and the grind that is sure to follow. More excited about getting to San Diego and settling down a bit, as I've bounced around alot over the past several years. Also, excited about being back on a college campus, having a student schedule and co-ed classes(see above).
9)Probably won't have time. Just asked because I'm curious and I've started to get the stuff in the mail for them.
10) Staying local. Maybe as far north as Carmel Valley, but not near LA. If I leave SD, it won't be until after I've had a few years in practice (although currently don't see any reason to leave).
11) Went to Japan for a year as an exchange student when I was 15-16. Changed my life.
12) Marry rich, retire at 28.

IONLYKNOWY

« Reply #174 on: May 22, 2007, 07:05:31 PM »

i actually don't remember, so unless someone else has an answer, you'll have to look into it yourself...even if someone knows, you should still check into it yourself...it's not something you want to leave to hearsay on the internet

Oh don't worry my intentions with the question that I asked where purly for peace of mind.

I am at work right now and cannot check my email or send email for that matter..

The question was something that I had been meaning to email USD about but had not got around to it.. using the "i'm busy" excuse again..  ;D

7. University of Texas/Electrical Engineering
8. Excited about moving to San Diego, and getting away from the horrible weather here in Texas.
9. No
10. Not really sure at this point, ALOT can change over the next few years.
11. Getting to go on inspections of nuclear power plants when I worked for the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission.  Let me tell you REALLY cool  8)
12. design electronics for military applications.

cjenifer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: May 22, 2007, 08:47:02 PM »
So this is a few weeks late but what the hell :)

1) Hometown?
Visalia, CA (cute little town in the middle of California)

2) What type of law are you thinking about practicing?
I have work experience in Title so I'm actually really looking forward to property... however I just started working as a Paralegal for the Public Defender and I'm really enjoying criminal law... I'll probably change my mind about ten times :)

3) If you weren't/didn't go to USD, where would you go to law school?
San Joaquin College of Law, a local law school so I wouldn't have to move (I really hate moving) I didn't actually apply anywhere else. If I HAVE to move, San Diego is the only place I'd want to go :)

4) Class you are most not looking forward to as a 1L?
Um, all of them? I'm incredibly nervous about the whole Socratic method thing

5) Doing anything cool before school starts?
Absolutely nothing, just working. However, on the weekends I will definitely be enjoying the usual summer activities around here though, such as going camping and day trips fishing in Seqouia National Park, Going tubing down the Kings River, attempting to wakeboard at the lake, Hitting the dunes in Pismo, barbecuing with friends, and of course, Dollar Beer nights at the Oaks' (Single A baseball team) games :)

6) Activity you are most likely to engage in when not studying?
Sleeping! I'm looking forward to Padres and Chargers games, Lahainas, Free musuem Tuesdays at Balboa Park, Farmers Market on Wednesdays in OB, all that good stuff :)

And, in answer to the second set of questions:

7) Undergrad/Major?
San Diego State/Psychology (stop snickering)

8) Thoughts about or before law school?
I had no idea I was going to law school until very recently. I was working in title (see above) got laid off when the market slumped, and got very frustrated trying to find a new job- I have a Paralegal Certificate, but every private practice I applied at in this area was more interested in if I knew how to make coffee than my ability to write motions. (Which is one reason why I am really enjoying my work at the Public Defender because they are so short staffed and a bunch of law clerks just left because the school year ended so I got thrown into doing the work of a law clerk. Like I said, it's amazing experience even if I don't really have a clue what I'm doing half the time ;) )

Anyway, I went to a Law Forum at the local law school in January and decided I might like to go to law school. That is the first time I heard about the LSAT.. so I signed up for the February LSAT and ended up scoring very well.  Which is I why I didn't apply anywhere else because I gave it virtually no thought. USD was a long shot, I wouldn't have even considered moving back down to San Diego except they offered me a lot of money to do it. So that's where I'm at now.

9) Are you doing one of those law school prep classes? Current students, did you take one or do you have any recs?
See above... my prep is real life lol Although I did just order some books such as "Planet Law School" and "Law School Confidential" so that should help soothe some of my nerves/fear of the unknown.

10) Planning on practicing local after graduation or going to LA or somewhere else?
I hope to move back up here and practice, maybe even as a Public Defender: Thankless, yes, but it is so cool helping people who are getting screwed over by overzealous DA's

Hmm.. this gets a bit deep, doesn't it? :)

I'd keep working at my current job.. good county benefits, pay increases every year.. probably buy a house within a couple years.. live a nice life.. be bored to death :)

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2007, 01:44:05 PM »
Hey CJ, I am jealous of your job at the PD, when I initially applied there, they didn't have any openings.  I am also a paralegal, but I am fortunate that I get to draft motions and briefs and settlement agreements for the attorneys I work for.  I'd also like to work at the PD when I get out.  I don't wanna get rich, I just want to help people.  And maybe have a decent pension for retirement.

1) Hometown?
Long Beach, in the house.

2) What type of law are you thinking about practicing?
Family Law, Criminal Law, Domestic Violence

3) If you weren't/didn't go to USD, where would you go to law school?
California Western (took the money and ran)

4) Class you are most not looking forward to as a 1L?
Property

5) Doing anything cool before school starts?
Traveling

6) Activity you are most likely to engage in when not studying?
playing music, getting drinks with friends,  hanging out with my fiance,  goin to seaworld

And, in answer to the second set of questions:

7) Undergrad/Major?
USD, UCSD, UMass Boston.  I get around. 

Cool Thoughts about or before law school?

Much like CJ, I decided to take the LSAT on a whim after completing a paralegal program.  I did the paralegal program at USD, had the highest grades, so some of my profs told me to think about law school.  Took the LSAT, did much better than I thought I would, and fielded offers between USD and Cal Western.  Ultimately, Cal Western committed more resources to me, both financially, and in terms of opportunities for work and study abroad.

9) Are you doing one of those law school prep classes?

Sorta, since I'm actually going to Cal West, the summer enrichment actually counts toward my JD, so that's one less class I have to worry about in 3L and a few more working hours at the end.

Staying in San Diego.  If I had wanted to leave, I woulda gone to USD for the national recognition.  I'm planning on taking an LL.M at USD.  I'll wind up with a USD sheepskin on my wall for less than half the cost.

Being in a band with a small record deal.

I'd probably stay a paralegal.  I enjoy my job a lot.  But I am excited for the prospects of directly representing clients as an attorney.

Chippewa to Terero

« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2007, 05:04:34 PM »
7) Central Michigan Univ.  Pre-med; double major in Neuroscience and Psychology.

;D  I'm very excited for this new chapter.  I've been out of school for a couple years now, and I'm chomping at the bit to get back.  Nothing makes you eager to endure the pain and pressure of law school in order to head down a path that you will enjoy quite like suffering through jobs you hate and/or you realize are meaningless and/or put you into daily contact with morons that you want to strangle and/or sterilize.  Plus, moving to yet another gorgeous area fits in well with the adventerous mood I've had since falling in love with California, and moving out here.

9) I doubt it...I'm getting hives from all these expenses.

10) We'll see where the oppotunities arise, but I don't see myself wanting to leave San Diego.

11) I'm jealous of all the traveling you guys have done!  Outside of school, my life was consumed with sports.  Sooooo, I guess I'd have to say either playing football against Michigan in The Big House in front of 116,000 people (that was about as surreal as it gets) or placing 3rd and 5th in Freestyle and Greco-Roman, respectively, at the national championships.  Someday I'll leave the country, I swear! haha!

12) Probably getting my D.O. stateside, or thieving my M.D. from St. George's in Granada.

cjenifer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: May 23, 2007, 09:15:58 PM »
After reading everyone's responses it seems like we have a really great group of people here (Go USD admissions!) I'm excited to meet so many people from all different walks of life and all over the country!

Chipewa: I actually have a friend that went to CMU. I'm not going to ask "omg do you know alexis?!" because I'm guessing it's a pretty big school (do you?), but yea, she sent me a CMU t-shirt once. :)

I totally understand what you mean about how law school can seem downright refreshing after working a couple of dead end jobs. After having a few years in the "real world" I feel like I'm ready to give 100% where in all the rest of my schooling endeavors I always gave the barest minimum effort required. (My Dad would always lament, "think how well you'd do if you actually TRIED!") Now, I am realizing this is my absolute last chance, so I better rock it :)

Steve: I can't hate ya. It sounds like you have an amazing opportunity at Cal, good for you :) How was the paralegal program at USD? I thought about going there and ended up choosing a community college program (because it was free, and I moved) but I'm certain USD would have prepared me better... How long have you been doing paralegal work? Are you going to continue while you are in school? Maybe we'll run into each other someday doing internships at the SD Public Defender's Office  :)

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: May 23, 2007, 11:18:37 PM »
Hey CJ.  I feel the exact opposite way about the Cal Western admissions as you do about USD admissions, so far all the people from my admit day group decided to go elsewhere!!! Most people I know chose to spend money to go to a higher ranked school than take the free money and run.  I guess they figure they'll more than pay for it with higher paying corporate jobs.  To each their own I suppose.

I loved the USD paralegal program.  It was taught mini-law school style.  Socratic method and all.  Didn't go as in depth  as a law school would, but I got a preview of the 1L curriculum.  It definitely helped me get a job in San Diego and they have frequent job postings which is nice.  The firm that I work at is going to let me be a part time law clerk for as many years as I want, so that's pretty sweet.  Already have my summer gigs lined up and my "work" for clinical classes.  So I definitely can't complain.  When I get my certified law clerk tag, one of the partners has already told me she'll take me to court to do fun court things.  If you've got the paralegal experience and want a law clerk gig, drop me a line, I can definitely get you in for an interview at the firm.