Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Study Abroad  (Read 1395 times)

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
Study Abroad
« on: April 04, 2007, 02:09:39 PM »
I just got accepted to go abroad for fall semester of next year. Problem is, I'm now a 1L so that would be right during OCI. I'm in the middle of the class, so I'm thinking maybe OCI wouldn't be that beneficial anyways? I really want to go but am worried I wont' get a summer job! Thoughts? Thanks!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Study Abroad
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:46:35 PM »
You still should submit applications for OCI.  You never know how things go, or what kind of connections may get you an interview.

I personally think it was foolish to apply for a study abroad program first semester of 2L.  For most law students, that semester is the busiest in law school.  Even if you don't ultimately land a job during OCI, the job search runs all through 2L - you start in the fall and keep looking until you find something.  Also, are you not planning on doing any journal or moot court activities?

If I were going to try to go abroad during school, I would do one of 2 things.  I would either split my 1L summer, half abroad and half doing something legal in the states, or I would push going abroad off until first semester 3L.

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 06:55:20 PM »
Thanks for your input. I actually applied for spring and didn't get it, they just randomly offered me fall. I'm just worried I may not get it next time around, when more people in my class might apply. It occurred to me that I may be able to use video conferencing though, if employers will let me do that.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 07:46:45 AM »
Many smaller employers don't have access to video conferencing, and I would wager that NONE of the large employers who do OCI will even consider it since they already have 1000s of qualified candidates to choose from across the country who are willing to be there in person for an interview and call back.

YOu may also want to check with your office of career services to see if anyone else has done this.  Also, if they're offering you a position randomly in the fall, it seems like fall may not be as "in demand" as spring.  You grades will hopefully go up over the next year, making you a better candidate.  I don't think I'd worry about not getting another spot.

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 08:09:47 AM »
I know that a few students at my school have done it, so it's definitely not out of the question. When do you have to leave to be over there? If it's a little later than normal, you may be able to interview before school starts.

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 12:33:27 PM »
I think they start classes September 4th so I'd leave late August? Yeah  I was thinking about starting early... is there some rule against that? (Like how we couldn't apply first year until December 1st?)I was talking to a smaller firm this year that wanted to hire me but didn't know about the money issue in time and said they'd like to have me next year. I could do that but it's a small firm. I know I can find something with a small firm, but I'm worried that doing that second year would preclude me from permanent (post-graduate) employment with a medium or large firm.

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 02:43:03 PM »
You can start applying August 1, from what I understand. Lots of schools have OCI start in August so firms will be interviewing before you leave. I think it's key to apply as early as you can.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 09:23:14 PM »
You need to check with your office of career services.  OCI programs are run by them, and the application dates and process are set by them.  In fact, they're the ones that can advise you on what to do, when employers you're interested in are possibly hiring, and when may be a better time to go abroad.

You can probably send your resume to firms earlier than your OCI, but if they interview at your school, you're most likely to get a response saying "thanks for your interest, drop your resume with us for OCI and we'll talk with you then."

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 10:10:53 AM »
Thanks for your input guys! I've decided to go. (partially b/c once I told my family I got accepted they insisted! "personal growth" or something lol.) I will just try to start my job search early and see what happens. Thanks again =)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 12:08:40 PM »
Seems to me like your undergrad years were a better time for "personal growth"...