Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Newark Neighborhoods  (Read 29192 times)

thewanderer01

• View Profile
    • Email
Newark Neighborhoods
« on: April 04, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
I'm planning on attending Rutgers - Newark in the fall, but I'm from Seattle. Does anyone have any advice about what neighborhoods are either a) close to campus, or b) a nicer part of Newark? I went out to Hoboken and Jersey City with my fiance while we were in town, but I was also interested in looking for something in Newark itself. Looking on craigslist I see places like North Newark, Forest Hill, but I have no idea how close they are to campus and what the neighborhoods are like. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Rutgers - Newark Class of 2010

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Newark Neighborhoods
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 12:49:51 PM »
I go to Seton Hall Law in Newark... and to be honest, you really dont want to live in Newark. Almost all the students here live in Hoboken or the surrounding area... not Newark. The people who do live in newark live in the very tiny part of Newark that is nice, the Downtown Arts District... theres a building called the "1180 Building" that is very nice, secure, and in a nice part of downtown Newark near penn station and ferry street. The rent is close to 2,000 a month however...

if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask...
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

Ali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 07:51:58 PM »
Deciding between Rutgers and Seton Hall.

Sounds like Hoboken is a better choice to live in. How expensive is it? I would share in a 2 or 3 bedroom place--to cut costs.
How did you find your place?

Also, Jersey City was suggested by a NYC friend. Do you have any thoughts on it?

I know law students are pressed for time, but would appreciate any responses and details.

Thanks

wein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 01:39:08 PM »
There are neighborhoods in JC that are great, but there are also neighborhoods that should be avoided.

There are several towns west of Newark that have decent rents, and are still close enough to NYC to be worth living in.

I live in Maplewood and will be attending Rutgers at night. I currently work downtown Manhattan (and still be while in school...) and I live in a great town, and it's about 10 miles from Rutgers campus, which equates to about a 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic.

pistolpete23

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 05:45:26 PM »

newark's a quaint little city. nice neighborhoods and friendly, down-to-earth folks.

you'll think you died and went to heaven.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
If you want to cut costs in Hoboken you're going to have to cram yourself into a 2 bedroom apartment with 6 or more people.  Just kidding.  Sort of.  I live in Hoboken now in what is generally considered to be a reasonably priced 2 bedroom apartment.  My half of the rent is $1150, not including my $200/month parking space.  And by the way, I live like a 20 minute walk from the PATH.  Even though I'm not graduating this year, I'm leaving Hoboken because its just too damn expensive.  I run out of money every single semester.  But it can be fun.

dukedogalley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 10:49:42 AM »
There are neighborhoods in JC that are great, but there are also neighborhoods that should be avoided.

There are several towns west of Newark that have decent rents, and are still close enough to NYC to be worth living in.

I live in Maplewood and will be attending Rutgers at night. I currently work downtown Manhattan (and still be while in school...) and I live in a great town, and it's about 10 miles from Rutgers campus, which equates to about a 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic.

I will be attending Seton Hall this fall (I would post on their specific board but there hasn't been much action lately) and I am looking for a place to live.  Right now I am in Manhattan, but I def can't afford living hewre w/o my job (which I will be quitting to attend school).  I am looking to get a 1BR plus office or 2BR for about 1400 in a town west or south of Newark...is this possible?  Also, how is the drive in and out of Newark...is the traffic terrible do you recommend public transportation?

shiksa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 01:37:24 AM »
I go to Rutgers-Newark.  If you want to live in Newark (which I did 1L year), check out Society Hill.  The condos/townhouses (not sure exactly what to call them!) are pretty reasonably priced.  I shared w/ 4 others and paid about $700/month.  It's also close enough to school to walk, security drives around 24 hrs a day and each townhouse has designated parking spots.  I've also heard good things about the Ironbound district -- its a vibrant, multi-culture neighborhood (there's large Latino/Portuguese population...)  A lot of Rutgers Law students don't live in Newark...but this is in large part due to the fact that a lot of students commute from their hometowns in NJ.  Also, (for you Rutgers bound folks...)the Rutgers dorms might seem tempting b/c they're close to the law school, but everyone I know who has lived or currently lives there hates everything about it (other than the fact that its close.)

Hoboken is a popular place to live for Rutgers Law students, but it's wicked expensive.  JC is a bit more reasonably priced, but like the other poster said, there are places to avoid.   I live in Montclair, and I love it.  I pay about the same as I did in Newark, but there is more of a community -- lots of shops/restaurants etc. The only real negative aspect is the traffic.  It's a 10 min drive with no traffic, but if I leave 5 mins late, it could take me an hour to get to school.  Also, parking at Rutgers is horrendous.  The parking decks are always filled up by the undergrads by 10AM and looking for on-street parking is an exercise in futility.  If you do live in Hoboken or JC, public transportation is fantastic (the PATH).  Actually, public transportation is pretty extensive for most of the surrounding areas. 

And finally, although I am obviously biased, if you're trying to decide btwn Rutgers and Seton Hall, keep in mind there is a huge difference in tuition.  This is especially important if you 1) are not independently wealthy and plan on taking out loans and 2) if you want to practice any type of law other than at a law firm where you will make huge amts of cash and will be able to make substantial loan payments.  ;)

Good luck!

Evolve

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ekleveland@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kapuda
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 02:11:03 PM »
I would also recommend JC or Hoboken. Both a short PATH ride into Newark and then you can take the light rail from Penn Station straight onto Rutgers campus. I usually recommend JC because it's a bit shorter commute and it's a little less pricey than Hoboken so you can get more for your dollar there. Don't get me wrong though Hoboken is at large a nicer city to live in, but as long as you get into one of the nicer areas in JC (waterfront/Hamilton Park/Downtown) and stay area from the rattier places (Journal Square/Lafayette/etc.) then it'll be just as nice and as safe.

I wouldn't generally recommend living in Newark either. There are a few places. The Ironbound has some decent places and there are some town houses close to campus (Society Hill and such) that are nice enough. But you'll still be in Newark and if you're a person, like me, who likes to run around at nights then you'd better live in one of the few decent areas. Since you aren't too familiar with the city I would further stress that you not try and move to a place in Newark. You'll quickly get a feel for the place (where you can/should go, at what times, etc) and once you have that down you'll be fine. However, it does take some time to get a feel for it and so you may want to take that into consideration.

Now, I don't know you situation (married, kids, girlfriend, single), but if you can swing it then the newer campus apartments are pretty nice. University Square is a condo style unit where law students live with 2 other law students and each have their own huge bedroom while they share a kitchen and bath. Just built so its all new and nice. Also they are building actual college apartments that should be doen by this fall. These are for students only but outside of that they are apartments without silly college style RAs and such (as I understand it). They are both good options if living in Newark is a priority for you. Nonetheless, I still have to say JC or Hoboken. The money you'll spend for the campus apartments is at least equal to what you could spend splitting an apartment with 1 or 2 other people and living in a place that's nicer, safer, and just generally more livable. Of course, if you don't know any one and it's just you then campus might be the way to go.

Last, someone mentioned Montclaire. There are a few townships like Montclaire that are really affordable, decent places to live. However, the commute is not quite as convenient as the PATH line from JC/Hoboken and your access to NYC is significantly more complicated. Most everyone I know that lived there either moved out or wants to. It does work well for some people, especially more settled people who aren't making the trips into the city a lot or don't plan on hanging out with fellow law students outside of school as much. In general, most students live in JC/Hoboken so that's usually where they congregate after grabbing a beer at the local tavern.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 04:08:10 PM »
I second Montclair.  Or, Glenridge or Bloomfield.  If you're used to Manhattan now, then I really think you'd like Montclair. They call it the "Upper West Side" of NJ. Lots of great dining, theater, etc.

You could get a huge 2br there for $1400 that includes dishwasher, laundry, reserved parking, etc.  Look in The Montclairion, which is literally across from the train station and thus you can get to Newark-Broad St in 10 minutes and then you can take the light rail or walk to Seton Hall. (Or, alternatively, a train to Secaucus and then to Newark Penn. Or, a bus directly to Newark from MOntclair.)  My partner commuted for 2 years from Montclair to Rutgers and it was fine! We paid $1400 for a 2br/2bath with the works. (1Br's are about $1085).

Check out baristanet.com for a little insight on Montclair and neighboring towns. Clifton, Nutley, Verona, Glen Ridge would all also be good picks.

We're in Lyndhurst right now in some new apartments that just popped up. It takes me about 15 minutes to get to Rutgers and only 20 mins into the city via bus.

You're not going to find anything in Hoboken that's in your budget, unless it's in the crappier parts. And, parking in Hoboken is horrendous. Downtown Jersey City is also really nice (Hamilton Park, etc) but it's also getting pricy. We paid $1600 for a 1BR and couldn't find anything decent for less. You can live in the Heights, but if you're going to live there you might as well just live in Newark! It's comparable in look/feel.