School Specific Boards > Rutgers - Newark

Newark Neighborhoods

(1/3) > >>

thewanderer01:
I'm planning on attending Rutgers - Newark in the fall, but I'm from Seattle. Does anyone have any advice about what neighborhoods are either a) close to campus, or b) a nicer part of Newark? I went out to Hoboken and Jersey City with my fiance while we were in town, but I was also interested in looking for something in Newark itself. Looking on craigslist I see places like North Newark, Forest Hill, but I have no idea how close they are to campus and what the neighborhoods are like. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

gordonma:
I go to Seton Hall Law in Newark... and to be honest, you really dont want to live in Newark. Almost all the students here live in Hoboken or the surrounding area... not Newark. The people who do live in newark live in the very tiny part of Newark that is nice, the Downtown Arts District... theres a building called the "1180 Building" that is very nice, secure, and in a nice part of downtown Newark near penn station and ferry street. The rent is close to 2,000 a month however...

if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask...

Ali:
Deciding between Rutgers and Seton Hall.

Sounds like Hoboken is a better choice to live in. How expensive is it? I would share in a 2 or 3 bedroom place--to cut costs.
How did you find your place?

Also, Jersey City was suggested by a NYC friend. Do you have any thoughts on it?

I know law students are pressed for time, but would appreciate any responses and details.

Thanks

wein:
There are neighborhoods in JC that are great, but there are also neighborhoods that should be avoided.

There are several towns west of Newark that have decent rents, and are still close enough to NYC to be worth living in.

I live in Maplewood and will be attending Rutgers at night. I currently work downtown Manhattan (and still be while in school...) and I live in a great town, and it's about 10 miles from Rutgers campus, which equates to about a 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic.

pistolpete23:

newark's a quaint little city. nice neighborhoods and friendly, down-to-earth folks.

you'll think you died and went to heaven.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version