Law School Discussion

Anyone do law preview?

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: Anyone do law preview?
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 04:52:56 PM »
yeah, the thing is that I have a friend going to the same school as me who's smarter than I am who has done more prep than I have. it keeps me up at night. I really need psychiatric help . . . I don't disagree with you about what "the reasonable person" would do in my situation . . .I'm just not that person.

One point here.  You need to get over this, "but he's done more work than me!!" thing.  In law school, there are ALWAYS people who will have done more work, read ahead, read 20 supplements, spent more time on their memo/brief, revised their outline 20x more than you, etc.  If that's how you gauge your worth in law school, you're going to a) have a mental break down, b) suffer serious health issues from lack of sleep, and c) be horribly disappointed when all of your hours of work don't result in better grades.  There is a point where enough is enough.  I know this from my own experience as well as from the experiences of many of my classmates.

I really think if you're doing all of what you're saying you're doing, you're already getting an overview of what you'll be studying during 1L.  You're familiar with supplements.  Your learning potential study techniques.  That is the sum total of what Law Preview will do for you.  In fact, you've probably gone far beyond what law preview will give you, at least according to my understanding of what these courses teach.

I'd save your money, and try to relax a bit before school starts.  Law school is a marathon, not a sprint, but adding 50 extra miles on top of the 26 that everyone else is already running will just exhaust you and burn you out.

Chibundu

• PrimeTime!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bunz
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 06:56:46 PM »
Good thread! I am also interested in Law Preview. I plan to take on a totally different approach to Law School than I did for UG and I just, like a lot of other people, would like to be as prepared as possible for when I enter school to allow and put me in the best position to succeed.

Yes no one can go to class for me or do the reading for me or even the put in the extra long hours, but I liked the analogy that one used regarding baseball. Myself a past athlete see it that way as well. If I have the talent to be successful in Law School. I just need to work out a little bit and get myself ready for big time college football.

With all that being said, I still am not sure if I will take the prep week. It is a lot of money and I am still unsure, but I do need superb grades to enable me to transfer. Advice to an aspiring 0L?

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 07:18:18 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of the advice so far.  I knew there would be a lot of disagreement between those who have taken the prep week and those who haven't.  I am very interested in hearing what everyone thinks on this subject who has taken the prep week. I have read PLS II and most of law school confidential and considering Law Preview.  I have a full ride and don't mind spending an extra 1,000-2,000 if it will ensure that I keep my scholarship.  I appreciate all your comments.

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 10:04:58 PM »
First off- congrats to OL for looking hard into this- you are on your way getting off on the right foot in law school.  I would next like to say that books like Law School Confidential definately help and are probably give you similar (nearly as complete) of advise as you are going to recieve in Law Preview (I attended law preview last year).  However there are a couple perks to law preview you cant get out of the books... First off, as I have mentioned earlier, Law Preview keeps  up with you via email with calendars and various reminders during the year.  It is also a good way to meet people from you future school and possibly get some inside information about teachers etc...  Again there is nothing that Law Preview gives you that you could not get elsewhere but it is a very helpful course and I suggest taking it if your financial situation allows for it.  Good Luck to all

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 07:06:50 AM »
yeah, the thing is that I have a friend going to the same school as me who's smarter than I am who has done more prep than I have. it keeps me up at night. I really need psychiatric help . . . I don't disagree with you about what "the reasonable person" would do in my situation . . .I'm just not that person.

One point here.  You need to get over this, "but he's done more work than me!!" thing.  In law school, there are ALWAYS people who will have done more work, read ahead, read 20 supplements, spent more time on their memo/brief, revised their outline 20x more than you, etc.  If that's how you gauge your worth in law school, you're going to a) have a mental break down, b) suffer serious health issues from lack of sleep, and c) be horribly disappointed when all of your hours of work don't result in better grades.  There is a point where enough is enough.  I know this from my own experience as well as from the experiences of many of my classmates.

I really think if you're doing all of what you're saying you're doing, you're already getting an overview of what you'll be studying during 1L.  You're familiar with supplements.  Your learning potential study techniques.  That is the sum total of what Law Preview will do for you.  In fact, you've probably gone far beyond what law preview will give you, at least according to my understanding of what these courses teach.

I'd save your money, and try to relax a bit before school starts.  Law school is a marathon, not a sprint, but adding 50 extra miles on top of the 26 that everyone else is already running will just exhaust you and burn you out.

I'm sure you're right. I'm looking into the refund. The thing about the friend is that we've been competitive for some time. however, your point still stands. . . for my own health, and in order to complete law school, I had better simma down with the guaging my work effort off of everyone elses. Thanks

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 08:14:31 AM »
You could also spend $4.00 + media mail shipping for "Law School Confidential" and get both an overview of 1L courses, the 1L job search, and different opinions from both the author and students on study techniques that worked well.

If you're really feeling ambitious, you can go to the library or a book store, see if they have the Examples and Explanations series for 1L courses (Contracts, Civil Procedure, Torts, Constitutional Law, Property, Criminal Law), and sit down with them.  Read through the table of contents, maybe skim a few chapters here and there, and get a feel for the subjects and some of the terminology.  That costs you nothing.

Your money is better saved, since law school is expensive enough as it is without companies trying to take advantage of panicked students.

And for the record, NONE of the students I know who did well at my school took a Law Preview course (doesn't mean there aren't any - I don't know for sure everyone who is in the top of my class, but those I do know, didn't take one - neither did I, for that matter).

Any advantage you might get is very short-lived, as the learning curve is steep.  Is $1000 worth it for a 3 or so week advantage?  (and that's assuming it will take your classmates 3 weeks to get their own overview by reading through their syllabus, flipping through the table of contents of the casebook, and looking at supplements).

I don't think that people about to make a 100K+ dollar investment ought to flinch at one thousand dollars if it can be of help to them.

What people at the top of your class do is irrelevant. Perhaps if you had taken the course (or anyone else in your class) you'd be ahead of all of those lazy unprepared people (I exaggerate to make a point). The point is that without knowing every person in your class and whether they took the course or not, it's impossible to answer the OP's question about the effectiveness of the course. Also, your class is just one of many . . . not representative.

The E & E idea is a great alternative. I'm reading them right now. They are pretty detailed, and I don't get a lot of what I'm reading cuz I'm going too fast, but still . . . if you're super ambitious (or anxious) this may be your ticket. I just think it's funny that people who obviously took preparation seriously their whole life, suddenly think it is irrational when approaching the most important part of establishing their career.

I may be wrong or naive, but I think it is unrealistic to go through law school wanting to do well and not compare yourself to your friend and everyone else for that matter.  I could absolutely see not comparing yourself if there was no curve, but the fact of the matter is that there is a curve and if you want to do well then you need to rise above others.  I don't mean to say that you should think about it non-stop, but I also think that comparing ourselves to others is natural.  This rings even more true in an ultra competetive environment where it will impact your career, salary, location, and quite possibly your amount of debt.

Ronald Hyatt

• Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 09:11:14 AM »
yes, but the thing is that everyone learns differently and there is a point of diminishing returns. so you need to figure out what works for you and do that. you will drive yourself crazy going around just doing stuff because everyone else does it. trust me, that's how i ended up on the law review. ;P

nbf

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 10:34:57 AM »
As to your argument that since you were smart enough to get in, you don't need to prepare, I would respond that because intelligence is innate, your argument could be pushed to birth . . . a little baby with the potential to do well in law school need not prepare . . . need not learn english, go to elementary school, etc  . ..  just plop them down at harvard and let their natural abilities take over. That's absurd!

Nice strawman

Further, even if you're right, your argument holds true for EVERYONE who got into school X, but law school students are ranked and competitive with one another. Thus, just being good enough to get in and pass is not nearly sufficient for success.

Another strawman

Hough I don't currently attend law school,

Thats pretty obvious

there are many books out right now that contend that the latter is right and your position about law schools assuming we know nothing and leading us down a prim rose path to legal knowledge in a supporting and encouraging way is not.

Wow, another strawman.  Since you're a 0L, I don't think you're in a position to be lecturing any student on this board about lawschool.  You'd be a lot better served by closing your mouth, opening your ears, and maybe learning something from people who actually know what they're talking about.

leostrauss

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 10:47:49 AM »
I didn't do law preview, didn't read a single preparing for law school book, didn't buy any Nutshells, etc. and I still did great my first semester. I don't buy into the scare tactics that these companies use to squeeze more money out of freaked out law students. Your school assumes you did nothing and they start from that point. You got into law school, so presumably you are smart enough to figure things out without shelling out lots of money. One nice thing that our school did though was a pre-orientation over a weekend where they had other students come in and teach us how to brief a case, what to expect in class, etc. That was free though, and it was nice to meet some other students that way. But even people who did not attend did just fine.

This is for nbf not lawmama:

See bolded - how is my argument strawman??? The bolded - though not precisely written - implies that because a person got into law school, they are smart enough to succeed (i'm reading "figure things out") there.

The problem is that everyone in law school is equal in this regard - they are all smart enough to get in . . . and yet law school success necessarily depends on doing BETTER THAN some number of these people. Thus, just getting in does not reflect the capacity or preparation necessary to succeed.

I guess you're reading "figure it out" to mean something else. I have trouble thinking of anything relevant it could mean. Who cares if you "figure it out" and are in the bottom quarter of your class?

Also, I'll lecture whomever I feel like. I'm in law school . . . I'm smart enough to do so. Thanks.

Also also, if you look at my convo with Jacy85, I admitted he/she was right, listened to the argument, and have amended my plans as a result. Jacy85 made ARGUMENTS . . . something you haven't done. Thus, I will take his/her advice and simply ignore you  . . . you condescending twit. Thanks.

leostrauss

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 10:54:33 AM »
As to your argument that since you were smart enough to get in, you don't need to prepare, I would respond that because intelligence is innate, your argument could be pushed to birth . . . a little baby with the potential to do well in law school need not prepare . . . need not learn english, go to elementary school, etc  . ..  just plop them down at harvard and let their natural abilities take over. That's absurd!

Nice strawman

Further, even if you're right, your argument holds true for EVERYONE who got into school X, but law school students are ranked and competitive with one another. Thus, just being good enough to get in and pass is not nearly sufficient for success.

Another strawman

Hough I don't currently attend law school,

Thats pretty obvious

there are many books out right now that contend that the latter is right and your position about law schools assuming we know nothing and leading us down a prim rose path to legal knowledge in a supporting and encouraging way is not.

Wow, another strawman.  Since you're a 0L, I don't think you're in a position to be lecturing any student on this board about lawschool.  You'd be a lot better served by closing your mouth, opening your ears, and maybe learning something from people who actually know what they're talking about.

It's impossible for a human to "open" his ears.

When typing on the computer, I don't open my mouth (except to yawn when you type stupid stuff). Thus, there's no reason to close my mouth.

Maybe you thought we were talking . . . or maybe you actually talk as you type to help you get your words out over the comp.