Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying to the FBI  (Read 3798 times)

BTMead

• View Profile
    • Email
Applying to the FBI
« on: April 02, 2007, 03:56:30 PM »
I am considering applying to the FBI for a special agent position, but am unsure how this will affect my ability to practice law in the future.  I wonder whether spend ing 3-5 years in the FBI as a special agent will hurt or help me if I decide to practice law after those 3-5 years.  Working as a special agent isn't exactly practicing law, but it is a very prestigious position and is law related.  Any thoughts?

pappy13

• View Profile
Re: Applying to the FBI
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 04:48:58 PM »
If you pass the bar before you enter the FBI you should be ok.  Law school tends to teach you skills used for passing the bar, not skills used for actual lawyering.  New attorneys, despite what anyone tells you, generally don't know a thing.  After 3-5 you'll be out of the FBI, allowed to practice law, and armed with some special skills that no one else has.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 07:27:12 PM »
Isn't the FBI more of a career decision, rather than a 3-5 year sort of plan?

Duner

• MSN Messenger - jkorduner@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LSUConnMan
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jkorduner
    • View Profile
    • Duner's LSU Law Blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 05:45:42 PM »
I'd get a legal job first. When they were recruiting I thought they said they won't look at your app until you've passed a bar anyways. The last thing you want is to be unemployed in September...while going through the lengthy application process.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 07:30:01 PM »
Hey dude,
I used to work in the intelligence community. I know the FBI sounds cool and all, but it's a bureacracy at its core.  There's a reason why the GW Law alumnus who helped take down Robert Hannsen quit - most of the time it's unbelievably dull.  And since 9/11, they aren't sure whether they are terrorist fighting organization or a crime-fighting organization.  The turf battles between the different agencies in the terror fight will make you want to shove a fork in your eye.

Not trying to discourage you, but I hope you go into with your eyes open. It's also very hard to get. Lots of former military intel are transitioning to it so they don't have to deploy and yet still do a similar job, and frankly everyone and their mother who watches "24" is applying to the CIA and FBI right now.

agree. i'm leaving the intelligence field after 10 years i did get to do some cool stuff but that's because i had military experience and i knew how to work the system. there is a really big difference between the CIA and FBI. the FBI is a law enforcement organization that is trying to do intel but they're fighting years of tradition so its difficult, but they have improved a lot from just after 9/11. i would suggest CIA but the only jobs worth doing are with NCS... outside of that, it's really not what its cracked up to be and no matter what they tell you. its government work...meaning that if you are innovative, intelligent, think outside of the box, and are a person who likes to get things done, do them right the first time, and move on to the next thing...you will ground to dust by mediocrity and red tape...
...man, you was who you was before you got here