Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When are Thank You notes crass or inappropriate?  (Read 685 times)

AtlantaSteve

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SPerkinsManheim
    • View Profile
    • LSN
When are Thank You notes crass or inappropriate?
« on: March 29, 2007, 04:29:45 PM »
I'm a 1L and have started attending some of the various spring time seminars at the school, where local attorneys come in to speak and offer career advice, etc. I am wondering if it would be crass to send "Thank You notes" to the attorneys after their seminar. I don't mean slipping my resume in the envelope or hinting that I want a job or anything like that... just showing appreciation for their time, and making a decent impression to help start some kind of reputation in the local legal community.

My gut feel is that a simple email would be the appropriate medium for this sort of thing, but most attorneys do not make email addresses publicly available. All I usually have to work with are postal addresses for their physical offices. Are "old-school" paper thank you notes a little too "weird" for situations where you've only met for a moment or two after a seminar?

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: When are Thank You notes crass or inappropriate?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 07:12:22 PM »
definitely not "crass" but may be overly-sycophantic. 

Seriously, I think it would be fine, perhaps even helpful for networking to send a short (1-2 sentence) thank you note via mail or email.

Bob D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 10:46:44 PM »
I think that a thank you note is appropriate only when someone has done you a personal favor.

If you had been the one who arranged for the attorney to speak to the group, then you should send a thank you note.

But if all you did is show up to this event where you were one of many students in attendance, then a thank you note is not appropriate.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 09:34:29 AM »
Just remember, if it's somebody you really do want to pursue for a job eventually or want to stay in contact with, make sure the note is handwritten and personalized.

Also, don't include naked pictures of yourself. Attorneys frown upon it. I had to learn the hard way.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 10:25:24 AM »
if there was an attorney who really had a career you thought was great, I'd send a thank you note or email, thank them for their time, tell them how much you enjoyed their lecture, and then ask if he or she would be available to get coffee or something.  By asking for an "informational" interview, you have some other purpose than just saying thank you, it may turn into an opportunity to get some academic and career advice.

Contacts like these may also turn into great job opps.  They may keep you in mind and pass your name on if they hear anything, or you may be able to call them up and let them know you're looking for a position, and ask for any advice on where to apply, etc. 

AtlantaSteve

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 02:00:20 PM »
After sleeping on it, I decided to limit formal handwritten notes to those attorneys with whom I've had some one-on-one contact (i.e. hanging around after the event for awhile to chat and answer questions individually).  It might be a bit overzealous to send paper cards to someone if you're not absolutely certain they remember will remember you.  For speakers with whom I've only had cursory introductions, I'll stick to 2-3 sentence thank you emails when their email address is available.  I appreciate the feedback earlier!

Silvermtn

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - silvermountain74
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 02:21:14 PM »
I'm a 1L and have started attending some of the various spring time seminars at the school, where local attorneys come in to speak and offer career advice, etc. I am wondering if it would be crass to send "Thank You notes" to the attorneys after their seminar. I don't mean slipping my resume in the envelope or hinting that I want a job or anything like that... just showing appreciation for their time, and making a decent impression to help start some kind of reputation in the local legal community.

My gut feel is that a simple email would be the appropriate medium for this sort of thing, but most attorneys do not make email addresses publicly available. All I usually have to work with are postal addresses for their physical offices. Are "old-school" paper thank you notes a little too "weird" for situations where you've only met for a moment or two after a seminar?
You should stalk them.  Follow them around town, show up at their house.  They like that.

AtlantaSteve

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 03:18:08 PM »
You should stalk them.  Follow them around town, show up at their house.  They like that.

Are you sure?  That wasn't very effective when I was single...