Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2010  (Read 33085 times)

CCH

• View Profile
Re: Class of 2010
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2007, 11:13:14 AM »
Kilroy, I have a question for you...

I'm trying to budget and plan for the semester, and I know I will need to update my professional wardrobe for when the time comes to interview for summer jobs. I've also heard there are some networking functions and what-not. Will I need a nice suit for anything during the first semester, or can I wait till December to do some shopping?

I was wondering about this too....

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2007, 12:46:14 PM »

I'm trying to budget and plan for the semester, and I know I will need to update my professional wardrobe for when the time comes to interview for summer jobs. I've also heard there are some networking functions and what-not. Will I need a nice suit for anything during the first semester, or can I wait till December to do some shopping?

To my knowledge and what I remember of my first semester, I did not need a suit for any law school function, network function or employment purpose.  The career services office will not even allow you access to the OCI system, and strongly discourage you from working or looking for jobs.  As a matter of fact, you will not be able to even talk to Career Services until November.  So I would say you do not need one.  Now, you may be involved in other things where you need a suit.  I had one nice suit that I brought with me for first semester.  It sat in a closet all semester.  I updated over winter break.  You should just be focusing on first semester classes, and not anything else.  If you have a suit (even if it is not nice), I would bring it just in case.  But I can almost guarantee you it will sit in your closet until January interviews start.

CCH

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2007, 04:39:43 PM »

To my knowledge and what I remember of my first semester, I did not need a suit for any law school function, network function or employment purpose.  The career services office will not even allow you access to the OCI system, and strongly discourage you from working or looking for jobs.  As a matter of fact, you will not be able to even talk to Career Services until November.  So I would say you do not need one.  Now, you may be involved in other things where you need a suit.  I had one nice suit that I brought with me for first semester.  It sat in a closet all semester.  I updated over winter break.  You should just be focusing on first semester classes, and not anything else.  If you have a suit (even if it is not nice), I would bring it just in case.  But I can almost guarantee you it will sit in your closet until January interviews start.

So do students start sending out resumes in December for summer internships/jobs?

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2007, 04:44:09 PM »
Pretty much.  Some people will start preparing their resume in November (most wait until after exams), and have it ready before the holidays to send out in mass over break and in January.  OCI stuff for 1Ls will start up in January and run until March.  But if you do not get a job through on-campus or resume collect, do not be disheartened.  Many students I know didn't have a summer job until April, and many more went into May.  Personally, I didn't have a summer job until April.

But, I forgot that the semester ends later this coming fall due to the elimination of fall break for a week at Thanksgiving.  So, I am not sure how that may affect the whole 1L process.  I am assuming not much.

CCH

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2007, 05:01:05 PM »
Pretty much.  Some people will start preparing their resume in November (most wait until after exams), and have it ready before the holidays to send out in mass over break and in January.  OCI stuff for 1Ls will start up in January and run until March.  But if you do not get a job through on-campus or resume collect, do not be disheartened.  Many students I know didn't have a summer job until April, and many more went into May.  Personally, I didn't have a summer job until April.

But, I forgot that the semester ends later this coming fall due to the elimination of fall break for a week at Thanksgiving.  So, I am not sure how that may affect the whole 1L process.  I am assuming not much.

Great thanks.

dbmuell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2007, 10:19:27 AM »
Did anyone else find the email from financial aid just a tad bit insulting to their adult sensibilities? 

Don't get me wrong.  I do find such sage advice as "Using the library instead of bookstores and movie rental stores and brown-bagging your lunch are a couple of simple ways to keep your expenses low" incredibly compelling. I think, however, that anyone capable of completing an undergraduate degree, then completing the process of applying and getting accepted to law school will be able to solve such complex financial conundrums without the emails from mommy reminding them to save money.  I fully expect further emails along the line with tips such as "studying hard and attending class are sure ways to improve your grade point average," and "leaving a little early in the morning is a fun and easy way to make sure that you are on time for class."  Perhaps we could hire a medical consultant to write to us that "eating right and getting more sleep are a few simple cures for law school exhaustion."  How could we possible navigate the maze of 1L without such sound little notes from the pen of experience?

Okay, rant over.  I feel better now.

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2007, 10:21:38 AM »
Did anyone else find the email from financial aid just a tad bit insulting to their adult sensibilities? 

Don't get me wrong.  I do find such sage advice as "Using the library instead of bookstores and movie rental stores and brown-bagging your lunch are a couple of simple ways to keep your expenses low" incredibly compelling. I think, however, that anyone capable of completing an undergraduate degree, then completing the process of applying and getting accepted to law school will be able to solve such complex financial conundrums without the emails from mommy reminding them to save money.  I fully expect further emails along the line with tips such as "studying hard and attending class are sure ways to improve your grade point average," and "leaving a little early in the morning is a fun and easy way to make sure that you are on time for class."  Perhaps we could hire a medical consultant to write to us that "eating right and getting more sleep are a few simple cures for law school exhaustion."  How could we possible navigate the maze of 1L without such sound little notes from the pen of experience?

I hear ya  :) I'm sure they send e-mails like that because a large number of students are right out of college and have never had to take any responsibility for themselves. Sad, but probably true.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2007, 11:04:11 AM »

You will never get emails telling your to arrive to class ontime, only the financial aid department feels the need to treat you like a child -- and career services will too, but that is necessary.

And while I agree that this particular email seemed condescending, you will find very shortly that law school, like every other level of education, has its share of idiots. (You will discover that there are students in law school that have no idea how a bill becomes law, trust me.  Or, have no basic idea of the federal judiciary, things I thought every law student should know before they arrived)  But having said that, many students are fresh from undergraduate who have never lived outside mommy and daddy's protection.  I was shocked recently by a fellow 3L asking me how much he/she should borrow for living expenses because he/she never had to pay them before now.  Considering the sizable amount of money it costs to go to PSU, you should feel happy that financial aid attempts to in every way help you figure out how to save money. 

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2007, 10:05:52 AM »

You will never get emails telling your to arrive to class ontime, only the financial aid department feels the need to treat you like a child -- and career services will too, but that is necessary.

And while I agree that this particular email seemed condescending, you will find very shortly that law school, like every other level of education, has its share of idiots. (You will discover that there are students in law school that have no idea how a bill becomes law, trust me.  Or, have no basic idea of the federal judiciary, things I thought every law student should know before they arrived)  But having said that, many students are fresh from undergraduate who have never lived outside mommy and daddy's protection.  I was shocked recently by a fellow 3L asking me how much he/she should borrow for living expenses because he/she never had to pay them before now.  Considering the sizable amount of money it costs to go to PSU, you should feel happy that financial aid attempts to in every way help you figure out how to save money. 
We have a federal Judiciary ??? . I thought everything over the State Supreme Court was Mob rule!  :o

I'm glad they sent that info.  I already developed a budget, but It reminded me to go back and redo some of the figures.  I've been on a spending spree this last week.  My auto insurance has dropped, and my rental payment is exactly at my budgeted high limit.  I took my pooch to the vet and he needed an extra vaccination I didn't budget for but I was prepared with a buffer and extra savings during my spending spree (and donations from the fam and friends).  I haven't even started on my  books, and school supplies.  I still need a bed, and the are a dozen little things I need.  I have to have this all hashed out, and determine my fixed costs before I order my cable and internet.
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2007, 12:36:42 PM »
Just got an e-mail from my mentor...  And so it begins.
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.