Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2010  (Read 32626 times)

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
Re: Class of 2010
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2007, 09:35:33 AM »
I completed the mentor form - sounds like a good way to meet people. After reading through the IIT info, I'm left with the impression that the Dell Latitude is the only computer on which we can get the PSU discount. Is that how everyone else read it? It sounds like a good deal, but I don't really want a Dell (I wasn't particularly impressed with the Dell laptop I had in undergrad). Anyone have opinions/advice? Is the PSU IT support really that helpful/convenient/worth it?
I already have a laptop anyway.  I'm just gonna compare stats so I know what I'm missing then drive forward.
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

sblount

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2007, 12:06:37 PM »
I already purchased my laptop through lenovo (I wanted the X61s, very small and light, and I wanted to customize it myself).  However, I did go online to the penn state computer store (you can click on the link through that attachment we got), and it seems like we do get a discount through lenovo, apple, and dell, not just dell.  I had 4 roommates undergrad with dell laptops and my best friend had one as well, not one of the laptops made it through all 4 years, one at disks through it's A drive, one had the motherboard explode which caught my friend's bed on fire, etc...  However, UVM did market a pretty low-end laptop to undergrads, I'm sure they are not ALL faulty to that extent.  Anyway, you should go online through the computer store and look at the ones they offer, it does seem like a good deal on the thinkpads if that's the model you would want anyway.  I bought a 3 year 24hour onsite warranty through lenovo with mine, so if I have a problem I just have to provide a workable space and a technician will come to my house and fix my laptop within one business day, hurrah.  It's expensive, but worth it I think.  I also bought 3 years of computrace lojack, so on the off chance my laptop gets stolen, I have a very good chance of getting it back.  Hope this was helpful.  I think I'm still up in the air about the mentor thing, though it does seem like a good way to meet people(or, at least a person with some knowledge about the school).

lizd

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2007, 12:50:06 PM »
I have a Dell laptop now and have had really good luck with it, although I've heard from many people that they haven't been too happy with theirs. I kind of want a new one for school but don't want to spend the $$ when the one I have now is working fine...so I think what I might do is see how mine works out first semester and go from there. I have OneNote (2003 version) and would like to get 2007 but figure I should do that at the same time as a new computer. I think I read someshere about a laptop loan or something but can't remember where I saw it. Did anyone else find the immunization link kind of crazy?? I kept trying to choose "prospective students" from the dropdown box and it went all crazy and never brought up the info. Then I chose "current students" but that just told me what immunizations you can get from PSU services not what is required.

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2007, 01:50:28 PM »
I have a Dell laptop now and have had really good luck with it, although I've heard from many people that they haven't been too happy with theirs. I kind of want a new one for school but don't want to spend the $$ when the one I have now is working fine...so I think what I might do is see how mine works out first semester and go from there. I have OneNote (2003 version) and would like to get 2007 but figure I should do that at the same time as a new computer. I think I read someshere about a laptop loan or something but can't remember where I saw it. Did anyone else find the immunization link kind of crazy?? I kept trying to choose "prospective students" from the dropdown box and it went all crazy and never brought up the info. Then I chose "current students" but that just told me what immunizations you can get from PSU services not what is required.
I had a dell I brought with me on military deployment to Bosnia in 2003.  I put it through hell then I gave it to my brother and it still works great.  That's what he sayes.
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

cherrybanana888

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2007, 03:05:31 PM »
Did anyone else find the immunization link kind of crazy?? I kept trying to choose "prospective students" from the dropdown box and it went all crazy and never brought up the info. Then I chose "current students" but that just told me what immunizations you can get from PSU services not what is required.

I had a hard time finding it too.  :) Then I found this :http://www.sa.psu.edu/uhs/immunization/immunization_requirements.cfm.
These are the requirements.
And once you had all the immunization needed, you should fill out the form online.
The page can be found here: http://www.sa.psu.edu/uhs/immunization/reporting_instructions.cfm
But we may have to wait till the orientation to get our penn state ID and password to log in and fill out the form.( Not quite sure on this part.)

The immunizations are a lot cheaper here in Taiwan, so I got mine here this week to save $$.
So I suggest you guys to do the same if the situation applies.  ;D

I hope it helpes. :D

lizd

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2007, 10:50:11 AM »
Thanks, that helped!

lizd

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2007, 09:47:15 PM »
Hey, in case you guys haven't seen it, there is new info posted about orientation on the DSL website:

http://www.dsl.psu.edu/stuservices/orientation.cfm

I guess it may not be new, but it's the first I've seen it. It has the cases we'll be using during orientation.

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2007, 10:55:17 AM »
Thanks!

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2007, 04:17:57 PM »
The O'Brien and Fisher cases are standard reading for 1Ls.  You will most likely read them again in your torts class, well if you happen to have Prof. Ackerman at least.

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2007, 09:30:59 AM »
Kilroy, I have a question for you...

I'm trying to budget and plan for the semester, and I know I will need to update my professional wardrobe for when the time comes to interview for summer jobs. I've also heard there are some networking functions and what-not. Will I need a nice suit for anything during the first semester, or can I wait till December to do some shopping?