Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2010  (Read 32635 times)

psumike09

• View Profile
Re: Class of 2010
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2007, 10:20:47 AM »
How are you guy working your food budget?  What's your monthly expenditure? I thought about the Dickinson College Meal plan but that seems a little expensive.

I got Fin Aid detrmination yesturday with a new tuition figure.

No happy hour for me thanks.  My work schedule is unpredictable.  I'm sure there will be plenty of social events during orientation. 

Your finances are really determined by where you live, by what you eat and especially drink. I live outside of Carlisle, I pay a little more than others for my apartment, so a little less on food. As far as food, the Cafe' Per Se (the Dickinson food service) offers some options, you'll figure out which days are bring your lunch days, which days are go home home days, and which days are MickeyD's, Arby's, Wendy's, or Cafe Per Se- all are in walking distance. 

There will be more happy hours than you can imagine within the first week, so look for people then.

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2007, 10:32:27 AM »
My husband and I have put ourselves on the following budget (if you're single, you'd prob. divide this in half):

1st week of the month - $140 ($100 for groceries, $20 each for eating out)
2nd week - $80 ($40 for groceries, $20 each for eating out)
3rd week - $100 ($60 for groceries, $20 each for eating out)
4th week - $80 ($40 for groceries, $20 each for eating out)
5th week - $80 ($40 for groceries, $20 each for eating out)

We generally have no problem getting by on these amounts (although sometimes we'll make an exception for a special occasion). If we don't use all our grocery money, we give ourselves a little extra for eating out, and vice versa.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2007, 10:58:10 AM »
My wife and I live on a budget, although it isn't too tight considering.  We only go the grocery store every few weeks.  We don't borrow anymore than tuition.  We manage to pay for books, football tickets and other things out of pocket, plus we manage to not use our credit cards except for emergencies or when we travel.  We do our budget monthly.  I will actually give you the budget, except how much we save.  She might get mad if I let our salaries slip out.  Our apartment is pretty affordable. (2 bedroom, 1 bath, water/sewer included, plus no pet rent for our 2 cats -- we live in Lower Paxton Township (25 minutes from school))  Our monthly budget:

Apartment -- $710
Cars (2)  -- $440
Utilities -- $200 (Cable/electric/internet -- can be slightly higher in winter)
Food      -- $400 (Includes eating out)
Gas       -- $250
Cells     -- $70-80

== $2080

Plus we have our car/renters/life/health insurance and savings we put into.  This number seems high, but we are married and we do have two incomes.  My wife works full-time as a software engineer and I work part-time, which first years are not allowed to do until second semester.  If you ignore the expenses such as car payments, gas and cells, the test is pretty standard.  We used the same budget when we lived in Carlisle.  My first year was a little different when I wasn't married.  My budget was:

Food      -- $200
Cell      -- $40
Car       -- $100
Insurance -- $275 (includes car insurance and health insurance)
Utilities -- $200 (Apartment Gas/Electric/Cable-internet)
Apartment -- $440 (1 bedroom downtown Carlisle)

== $1255 a month

I never went out, except literally once all semester.  Ask my friends.  But, I did drive to NOVA (Northern VA) every other weekend, since my wife was working in DC at the time.  So I also had a pretty hefty gas bill for my car.  You could easily add 100 a month for students who go out to the bars, and everything else.  But I attributed by gas bill driving to be about the same as their going out.  So that is a wash.  It can be quite expensive to live in Carlisle, even though relatively speaking it is a cheap area.   

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2007, 11:40:18 AM »
Thanks,  Thats about what I've predicted.  I'm looking at around $150 for food from sams, and 90% eat in.  My brieakfast consists of coffee, and a side of coffee.  I fear that McD's, but it may become a reality since it's so close. I'm aiming to live downtown.  I'm hoping not to use my car too much (If I have one...long story).

What about the dickinson college gym membership.  Do you use that or is there a better place?  I'm hoping to burn some energy in there, and maybe grow a muscle or two.
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2007, 12:05:51 PM »
Thanks,  Thats about what I've predicted.  I'm looking at around $150 for food from sams, and 90% eat in.  My brieakfast consists of coffee, and a side of coffee.  I fear that McD's, but it may become a reality since it's so close. I'm aiming to live downtown.  I'm hoping not to use my car too much (If I have one...long story).

What about the dickinson college gym membership.  Do you use that or is there a better place?  I'm hoping to burn some energy in there, and maybe grow a muscle or two.

You know, I don't know people who use it.  Most of my friends who belong to gym use the YMCA which is one block over and a few blocks down from Trickett.  Apparently the YMCA has a rate for households or something like that. 

lizd

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2007, 04:27:38 PM »
I didn't realize the Dickinson College gym or meal facilities were an option. I looked on their website to see if there was a "guest" rate but didn't see one - does anyone know how to find more details? The apartment I rented is just a couple of blocks from the YMCA - it looks like a nice facility.

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2007, 04:33:09 PM »
I didn't realize the Dickinson College gym or meal facilities were an option. I looked on their website to see if there was a "guest" rate but didn't see one - does anyone know how to find more details? The apartment I rented is just a couple of blocks from the YMCA - it looks like a nice facility.
I forget where I saw the info.  Check the current students part of our site.  The gym is approx: $150 for the year. 
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

lizd

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2007, 04:43:20 PM »
Thanks. Found it here www.dsl.psu.edu/handbook/dickinsoncollege.cfm for anyone else interested.

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2007, 06:12:42 PM »

SO you're going to survive on mass-produced junk food? I may have to take pity on you and bring you an apple from time to time  :)

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2007, 07:59:24 PM »

Sams, like the wholesale place?  Good luck.  Nearest one is between Harrisburg and Hershey.  You are better off just going to Walmart.