Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2010  (Read 32834 times)

jman333

• View Profile
Re: Class of 2010
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2007, 06:04:59 PM »
Anyone know how the grade curve works here?

i had asked kilroy that and he responded to me:

" I can't tell you the exact number because it changes each year, but the handbook states it is 2.9 - 3.1.  It breaks down like this:

Expect 15% A and A-.
Expect 15% C+ and below.
Expect 3-7% D and below.
Half are B+ to B-

Rougly 5 percent fail."

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2007, 06:35:24 PM »

" I can't tell you the exact number because it changes each year, but the handbook states it is 2.9 - 3.1.  It breaks down like this:

Expect 15% A and A-.
Expect 15% C+ and below.
Expect 3-7% D and below.
Half are B+ to B-

Rougly 5 percent fail."

Seems like that is missing 8-12%?
Bumpersticker and Laptop (Attending): MSU '10
Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)
I'm sorry can you hold (WL): American
Dropped call (OUT): OSU

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2007, 06:43:44 PM »

Expect 15% A and A-.
Expect 15% C+ and below.
Expect 3-7% D and below.
Half are B+ to B-

Rougly 5 percent fail."

Yep.  More than half have B- to B+, and roughly 5 to 7% will fail.  The thing about PSU-DSL is that the curve is "suggested grading norms."  They are by no means set in stone.  The missing 8 to 12% is wiggle room for faculty to hand out more Bs or more Cs.  They rarely ever go over the A mark, just so you know.  As a matter of fact, more will go under 15% As and give 5 to 10% As.  My crim pro class was a great example, I managed to pull off an A (I have no idea how).  My prof came to congratulate me when he got the grade report.  That was when he informed me only 2 people got As, out of 75 students.  Obviously, he felt overall the class didn't deserve lots of As, so he handed out more Bs. 

jman333

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2007, 09:26:15 PM »

Expect 15% A and A-.
Expect 15% C+ and below.
Expect 3-7% D and below.
Half are B+ to B-

Rougly 5 percent fail."

Yep.  More than half have B- to B+, and roughly 5 to 7% will fail.  The thing about PSU-DSL is that the curve is "suggested grading norms."  They are by no means set in stone.  The missing 8 to 12% is wiggle room for faculty to hand out more Bs or more Cs.  They rarely ever go over the A mark, just so you know.  As a matter of fact, more will go under 15% As and give 5 to 10% As.  My crim pro class was a great example, I managed to pull off an A (I have no idea how).  My prof came to congratulate me when he got the grade report.  That was when he informed me only 2 people got As, out of 75 students.  Obviously, he felt overall the class didn't deserve lots of As, so he handed out more Bs. 

oof, 2/75. hope i dont get him, but nice work there kilroy

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
Some professors are like that.  Others will hand out A- right and left.  Just depends on who you get, and how they view the suggested curve.  But, by and large, most profs try to stay pretty close to it.

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2007, 10:25:26 AM »
I see... It's crazy, so much is depending on these grades and the Profs seem to be playing games.  Good thing I'm used to straigt C's.  I found my high school transcript the other day (Class of '94).  What was I doing!?! It wasn't pretty... Didn't Einstein fail high school algebra?
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2007, 11:30:52 AM »
Like most law schools, we use blind grading.  The only thing on your exam is your exam number, which is then matched up with your name in the registrar's office.  So your final exam, unless of course you are in a seminar or a small elective where presentations and papers are the final, is completely anonymous.  But some professors will use class participation in the grade outcome, others will not.  My trust and estates professor will raise your grade if you write your will for class.

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2007, 01:40:30 PM »

Expect 15% A and A-.
Expect 15% C+ and below.
Expect 3-7% D and below.
Half are B+ to B-

Rougly 5 percent fail."

Very impressive!!!  I would love to know how you studied and outlined for the class. 
Bumpersticker and Laptop (Attending): MSU '10
Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)
I'm sorry can you hold (WL): American
Dropped call (OUT): OSU

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2007, 04:40:10 PM »
Any hints about what the tuition increase will be? 
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

jman333

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2007, 06:28:33 PM »
are you guys looking for apts going to call up one of the reality places (if so any recs) and have them show you a buncha places they rep or just call up a bunch of single listings from the housing list and try and set up appts that way?