Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Temple Class of 2010 (entering in Fall 2007)  (Read 33377 times)

Barbie22

• View Profile
Re: Temple Class of 2010 (entering in Fall 2007)
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2007, 11:05:39 PM »
Yea, the roommate referal.  Ive lived with 5 other people in a house before (4 girls...yea) so i think i can handle 2/3 roomies.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2007, 08:21:46 PM »
Everyone reading this needs to consider the benefits of living in South Philly.  Sure, it's dirtier and you're in a working class neighborhood, but it's much cheaper ($550 for 1Bed / $800 for 2Bed) and the Broad St Sub line is right there.  South Philly does have a slightly higher rate of non-violent crime than Center City, but very little violent crime.  Besides, the food is better and cheaper in S Philly--Cheesesteaks, Italian BYOBS, and Korean BBQ.

Old-and-in-the-Way

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2007, 09:22:17 PM »
Besides, the food is better and cheaper in S Philly--Cheesesteaks, Italian BYOBS, and Korean BBQ.
[/quote]

Not to mention the best authentic Mexican food in the city:  La Lupe, Taqueria Veracruzana, and Plaza Garibaldi

wooshi23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2007, 09:29:22 PM »
Besides, the food is better and cheaper in S Philly--Cheesesteaks, Italian BYOBS, and Korean BBQ.

Not to mention the best authentic Mexican food in the city:  La Lupe, Taqueria Veracruzana, and Plaza Garibaldi
[/quote]

no way! the best mex. food in the city (though slightly gentrified mex food) is los catrines aka tequila's philly at 17th and locust, I could practically move in there I love it so much.

speaking of yummy south philly food- italian market area is actually doing their version of restaurant week (for those of you non philly folks restaurant week is when lots of the nice restaurants in the city offer $30 a person price fixed 3 course menus) it started last friday I think so it should still be going on for a day or two.

savage_fred

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2007, 11:31:38 AM »
Everyone reading this needs to consider the benefits of living in South Philly.  Sure, it's dirtier and you're in a working class neighborhood, but it's much cheaper ($550 for 1Bed / $800 for 2Bed) and the Broad St Sub line is right there.  South Philly does have a slightly higher rate of non-violent crime than Center City, but very little violent crime.  Besides, the food is better and cheaper in S Philly--Cheesesteaks, Italian BYOBS, and Korean BBQ.

What can you tell me about the area around Passyunk & Broad/Snyder? All I know from my brief visit to Philly is that it's fairly close to the cheese-steak junction but I didn't spend much time checking out the neighborhood.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2007, 10:48:20 AM »
It's not bad.  I'd live further off of Broad toward the river, though, if given the choice.

savage_fred

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2007, 10:48:38 AM »
It's not bad.  I'd live further off of Broad toward the river, though, if given the choice.

I won't have an automated transport machine so I'm trying to live fairly close to the Broad Street SEPTA. Why would you want to live further towards the river as opposed to the Broad/Snyder area? How would you classify the immediate area surrounding Broad/Snyder & Passyunk on a scale of 1-10 (1=decrepit festering cespool of vice & murder; 5=some prostitution, petty crime, moderate level of filth; 10=shimmering icon of urban development and Morman ideals)? 

Barbie22

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2007, 12:08:12 PM »
What neighborhoods in Philly have decent parking?  Ei. wont have too hard a time finding a spot and wont get broken into.  I dont mind if its outside of philly... hows Manayunk? 

imusselm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2007, 02:29:12 PM »
Parking:
Manayunk near main street is a bit rough, but further away I think it is easier. Philly has parking permits which anyone with a utility bill can get for 35$, they are needed in many locations. In theory they help keep parking problems down. Not sure this really works though. Manayunk is one of these, as is East Falls and almost all of center and south philly.
As for south Philly, I would try to stay as close to the river as possible, though other areas are nice. Its a block to block thing, so I would encourage seeing the place before you commit. I would also recommend staying as far north as possible, though I am sure there are areas in the south that are alright. Close to south street parking will be difficult, and on south street it will be near impossible without paying for a spot.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Ian

PhilaGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2007, 04:35:19 PM »
I lived just off Rittenhouse Square for awhile and parking was a NIGHTMARE.  More often than not, I couldn't get a nearby spot and had to walk 8+ blocks (almost a mile) home from my car.  I never wanted to move the car because then I'd need to find a spot again, so I pretty much didn't go anywhere I couldn't walk/cab (thus defeating the whole purpose of having my car).  It's not much better in any of the other "desirable" areas, and unless something has changed recently, the city doesn't cap the number of parking permits they issue, so there could be 500 permits issued for a zone with only 200 street spots.  Unless you're willing to pay for a spot in a garage or lot, I really really don't recommend having a car in Center City.  Plus, insurance on a car in the city is through the roof.

A couple friends of mine live around 10th and Carpenter, near the Italian Market area.  They rarely have trouble finding parking, but the cars have been broken into.  Another friend has had good luck in the Art Museum area, but it really depends on what part you're in -- closer to the Parkway, it's much more difficult to find a spot, but too far up starts getting kind of sketchy.  And most of the people I know who live up there own houses with garages, so they don't count.

Where I live, it takes 30 minutes to the Temple train stop on the R5, and about the same to drive into Center City (would be about 40 minutes to drive to Temple).  It really isn't that much further away from Center City than Manayunk is, but the parking is definitely easier.  I can't really speak to other areas because I don't know much about their parking situations.