Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Temple Class of 2010 (entering in Fall 2007)  (Read 32419 times)

MReilly

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Temple Class of 2010 (entering in Fall 2007)
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2007, 06:26:25 PM »
I took the email to mean that they would offer a spot in the evening division...but doing so would take you off the list for available spots in the day dicision. When I emailed back and forth with the admissions dean, she made it sound like I would be getting the official paperwork to save my seat in the evening division. I'll keep you posted if it turns out to be different...

riskyasset

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2007, 11:32:01 PM »
Hey guys...

I'm currently a 1L at Temple finishing up finals.  If you guys have any questions regarding where to live, places to hang out, etc etc... feel free to ask away.  I'm gonna use this as my procrastination tool, haha.

A few things... to the KC guy... i'm from TN (home to superior ribs)...i can show you all the places to get ribs in this town, haha... i also make my own mean slab.

... Temple's average age is always 26... i think they factor in the evening division which is inherently older... all my friends are between the ages of 19-26.  I'm 23 so it's probably a self selective crowd.  If you're a youngin', you won't feel weird.

Center City is the place to live (although alot of students live in the art museum area).  I'd stick to places that are close to the ORANGE line (which runs north to the law school).  If you get a roommate, rent is not unbearable.  If you have questions about areas of town... just leave a line. 

Enjoy your pre-law experience.

dger24

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2007, 07:41:32 AM »
MReilly...it looks like you're right...I spoke with Johanne and she indicated that while it wasn't a 100% guarantee of a seat, it was a 99.99%.  The way she put it was "the admission committee wouldn't have made the offer if they hadn't planned on making good on it".

savage_fred

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2007, 10:38:46 AM »
Hey guys...

I'm currently a 1L at Temple finishing up finals.  If you guys have any questions regarding where to live, places to hang out, etc etc... feel free to ask away.  I'm gonna use this as my procrastination tool, haha.

A few things... to the KC guy... i'm from TN (home to superior ribs)...i can show you all the places to get ribs in this town, haha... i also make my own mean slab.

... Temple's average age is always 26... i think they factor in the evening division which is inherently older... all my friends are between the ages of 19-26.  I'm 23 so it's probably a self selective crowd.  If you're a youngin', you won't feel weird.

Center City is the place to live (although alot of students live in the art museum area).  I'd stick to places that are close to the ORANGE line (which runs north to the law school).  If you get a roommate, rent is not unbearable.  If you have questions about areas of town... just leave a line. 

Enjoy your pre-law experience.

KC Barbecue is superior...no doubt about it. They each have their own unique style, but I prefer the KC version for obvious reasons. Quick question for you. How has the first year summer job search worked out for you and for others in the class? Do the majority of students find summer work?

riskyasset

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2007, 11:12:30 AM »
Hey savageFred...

Finding a job for the 1L summer has been surprisingly painless.  I went to Penn undergrad, and I've never really gotten a summer internship or anything prior to the start of summer... so this is like a real change for me.  Many of my friends are working pretty kickass jobs at large law firms and inhouse counsel type gigs (these are especially available options if you are diverse in some way).  Others are working for the DA's office or US Attorney's office.  I think for the most part... finding a job won't be that difficult, especially if you can do well academically.  You shouldn't stress about your summer job... career services take care of you, they really do.  Temple Law grads are everywhere in Philly...but worse case scenerio is that you work for a local judge or be a professor's research assistant.  (which has its own perks....*cough* connections *cough*)

savage_fred

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2007, 01:24:41 PM »
While we've got you here. Can you give an overall assessment of your first year at Temple? Was it easier or more difficult than you thought? Better or worse quality of experience? Overall impression of fellow classmates? And anything else you wish you knew going into Temple.

MReilly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2007, 06:04:29 PM »
MReilly...it looks like you're right...I spoke with Johanne and she indicated that while it wasn't a 100% guarantee of a seat, it was a 99.99%.  The way she put it was "the admission committee wouldn't have made the offer if they hadn't planned on making good on it".

Are you taking the evening option for this first year, or are you holding out for the day division?

dger24

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2007, 06:41:03 PM »

[/quote]

Are you taking the evening option for this first year, or are you holding out for the day division?
[/quote]

I'm going to take the evening division; although the day division would be nice, I don't want to risk not getting in to the day... you just can't beat that in-state tuition.

riskyasset

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2007, 09:34:11 PM »
SavageFred...

I'm generally very satisfied with my experience at Temple.  I think the professors are top notch and love the friends that I've made.  Law school really is like high school with happy hour, haha... but yea... you can't really afford to get behind on reading and stuff.... exams are hard... law school is hard... students are great...i was surprised at how diverse it is in terms of geography and schools (kids ranging from like Princeton to like State School X).  Generally everyone helps each other out... not that cutthroat... i've lost my notes many times, and everytime, my classmates are bailing me out with their notes. 

The main con I have is the following .... i know a bunch of people who got their books stolen from their lockers (but they are renovating the lockers this summer) ...but i just think that's kinda sad.... who steals?  Cheating also happens I guess... it's a high stress environment during finals and i'm sure cheating happens everywhere... the sad thing is... the administration doesn't seem to come down that hard on them for fear of bad press.... and finally... the worse thing that happened this year is the pending departure of temple's best asset... a legal writing professor... he was head of the dept and responsible for Temple's high ranking... so watch out for Temple's drop in the Legal Writing rankings (i guarantee it drops well out of the top 5). ... oh and North Philly sucks... so don't live there... dont live near campus (everyone takes the orange line up anyways or drive).

templeace

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2007, 11:57:16 PM »
I'm in for the temple day division. I am from Philly, and I'm not even sure where I should live lol. Going to law school closer than I went to high school is awesome to me, and I am going to try and kick ass at Temple. I love the diverse campus and dont worry about the security..... it is daytime at Temple at 3 AM in the morning. The security is so ridiculous, its almost insulting.

I would like to know more info about the 1L summer job prospects and if I should load up on loans even though I am from the city (I really dont want to live with my parents any longer).

Any suggestions on great places to stay? I'm almost embarassed not knowing even though I'm from Philly.