Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Temple Class of 2010 (entering in Fall 2007)  (Read 33622 times)

Temple Gator

• Temple Law in 2007
    • View Profile
RE: I chose Temple over...
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2007, 02:24:37 PM »
pitt, wisconsin, maryland.

What made you choose Temple over those others? I'm especially interested in what you might know about Wisconsin, since I'm still waiting on a decision from there. I'll probably stick with Temple regardless.

With Pittsburgh vs. Temple, I'm guessing the deciding factor is just which city you prefer. Or was it something else?

Barbie22

• View Profile
Re: Temple Class of 2010 (entering in Fall 2007)
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2007, 02:42:34 PM »
Wisconsin is too expensive - they gave me no money.  I'd rather be in Philly than madison/chicago.  Pitt gave me more money with no conditions, but again - id rather be in Philly.

MD, im actually waitlisted at but am wishfully hoping ill get pulled.  If they dont pull me ill go to Temple.

cmickey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2007, 02:55:38 PM »
mt airy and germantown in general are not that nice. there are pockets that are nice.. commuting to temple via public transportation would be kinda annoying from those neighborhoods as well.

Can you explain why the public transportation from those areas is difficult? Are you talking about the regional rail lines?

well you can take regional rail, which takes 20 minutes and stops running before midnight, which means you might as well live in chestnut hill a tad further outside the city for a nicer environment, or any of the other suburbs...

or you can take the bus which would take 45 minutes and be a female dog to wait for..

danielle83

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2007, 04:57:43 PM »
Thanks for the area info.  Unfortunately, the only way we can afford to live in most of those areas is if we buy somthing really small which just won't work, we'll drive each other crazy.  We might buy right outside of Manayunk so that would be alright and we are looking at a few places in University City.

I chose Temple over George Mason, Miami, Villanova, Drexel and University of New Mexico.  It was a real toss-up for me between Miami and Temple but my fiance preferred Philly and we are closer to our families in NY.  Plus I am interested in trial advocacy so Temple is great for that. 

cmickey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2007, 05:18:57 PM »
Thanks for the area info.  Unfortunately, the only way we can afford to live in most of those areas is if we buy somthing really small which just won't work, we'll drive each other crazy.  We might buy right outside of Manayunk so that would be alright and we are looking at a few places in University City.

I chose Temple over George Mason, Miami, Villanova, Drexel and University of New Mexico.  It was a real toss-up for me between Miami and Temple but my fiance preferred Philly and we are closer to our families in NY.  Plus I am interested in trial advocacy so Temple is great for that. 

The Manayunk/Roxborough area is a great option.. its safe and there is quite a bit to do in your immediate surroundings..

Temple Gator

• Temple Law in 2007
    • View Profile
Visiting Philly
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2007, 03:03:27 PM »
Is anyone interested in meeting for lunch to talk about the law school, neighborhoods, or life in general? My wife and I will be visiting Philly soon -- May 5 through May 8 -- to look at apartments. It would be nice to meet another Temple law school student (incoming, current, or alum).

Some info about us... I'm going to be one of the older students at Temple -- let's say mid-thirties. We have a child, with another on the way. My wife's almost a decade younger than me. I'll be in the part-time evening program. I'm considering transferring to full-time after the first year, but we'll have to see how things go.

To contact me, just use the little e-mail icon over there to the left of this text, a little below the user name area. Or, use the "Personal Message" (PM) feature of this website message board. There's another little icon for that over there by the e-mail icon.

imusselm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2007, 03:43:30 PM »
Hi,
I'm another Temple person... I'm entering the evening division though, any others out there? Ive seen the one other so far (Gator). Ive been around Philly for awhile... finishing up an MS at another local university...
As far as living places... I am biased toward east falls, where I live. Its closer than Manayunk, and inside the 1st public transportation zone. So even though it is only 1 stop on the train before manayunk its considerably cheaper. Houses are decent, and right near the train station! Almost every northbound train stops at Temple, so its pretty easy to get there. However, east falls has all the same types of houses as manayunk and a lot less hype.
I can try to answer any other questions on places to live. University City isn't bad, but its a bit pricey thanks to all the Penn kids. I would definately stay away from Fishtown... Center city isn't bad to buy a place, but its quite expensive unless you go south...

GraphiteDirigible

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Law aesthetics or lack thereof
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
Has anyone noticed that the Temple law school website and viewbooks are not nearly as impressive as some from much less respected schools (i.e. "third tier")? And, it's not just the appearance -- it's also relatively hard to find information on the Temple website; and the viewbooks are pretty thin and lacking in detail.

It can be hard to overlook these weaknesses and seek out the hard facts that really matter. Do you think these "marketing" issues help explain why Temple's "conversion" rate is relatively low? (The percentage of admitted students who actually enroll is lower than most schools I've considered.)

As far as the aesthetics of the website and viewbooks... Do you think there's any relationship to the very, very plain appearance of the facilities? Is this a Philadelphia thing? Is style just less important in Philly?

Of course, since I like Temple and plan to attend, I like to think these factors are weeding out people who are too easily influenced by those things, thereby resulting in a better, smarter student body.

You should see Seton Hall's correspondence. They don't even have brochures (I haven't received any yet anyway) and the only thing they've sent me other than a letter or payment form has been an extremely basic Excel printout of the 1l calendar.

Here, look at their website. (http://law.shu.edu/).

Anyway, I'll most likely be attending TU as well. I'm WL at American and, since my interest is int'l, I'll go there if I finally get accepted. However, if I don't I'm still fired up about TU.

Anybody, in here from CO or KS or GA? I'm from GA went to college in CO and currently reside in KS.
Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head
I put 'em back in the jacket of the one I love
Carry that velvet sack full of pretty colored marbles
And I'll ask you for 'em back, when I'm ready and done

ututsumuju

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2007, 04:22:57 PM »
Any younger people going to Temple??

danielle83

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2007, 04:35:10 PM »
I just turned 24, is that young?  I love going out to the bars and clubs if that's why you are asking!