Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Temple Class of 2010 (entering in Fall 2007)  (Read 34548 times)

AZ ERMD

• View Profile
Re: Temple Class of 2010 (entering in Fall 2007)
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2007, 09:18:28 PM »
OK, I guess I should chime in here.  I will be attending Temple in the fall.  As far as housing goes, I am under contract on a house in Elkins Park.  As an older 'non-trad'  with a wife and 4 pets, renting is out for me.  I do have a question about the property reappraisals, is it just in philly county or does it extend to montgomery co?  Anyway, see you in the fall.  Unless you are some rabid gunner type then I will completely ignore you in the fall.... ;D

-AZ
"Work is the curse of the drinking classes"

-O. Wilde

PhilaGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2007, 09:46:35 PM »
As far as I know, Elkins Park wouldn't be affected by reappraisals, since it's not in Philly.  That doesn't mean that the town can't switch things up on you, but as far as this particular issue goes, you should be safe.

AZ ERMD

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2007, 11:23:39 AM »
Thanks for the info.

-AZ
"Work is the curse of the drinking classes"

-O. Wilde

aminah

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2007, 12:15:25 PM »
I just wanted to say hello to fellow Temple 2010 classmates. I just found out about this board through LSN's.  It looks like I am the only Temple lifer here- I attend Temple undergrad and will graduate this May with a BA in political science and economics. I love philly so I decided to send in my deposit to Temple, I'd be very happy staying here and attending temple.  However, I am on the priority waitlist at UMD and may decide to go there if I get in.   I plan on studying environmental & land use law with a focus on public policy and legislation.

And for everyone not from philly- the best part of the city is Kelly Drive when its warm outside- its so beautiful   ::)

Temple Gator

• Temple Law in 2007
    • View Profile
Temple Law aesthetics or lack thereof
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2007, 01:09:25 PM »
Has anyone noticed that the Temple law school website and viewbooks are not nearly as impressive as some from much less respected schools (i.e. "third tier")? And, it's not just the appearance -- it's also relatively hard to find information on the Temple website; and the viewbooks are pretty thin and lacking in detail.

It can be hard to overlook these weaknesses and seek out the hard facts that really matter. Do you think these "marketing" issues help explain why Temple's "conversion" rate is relatively low? (The percentage of admitted students who actually enroll is lower than most schools I've considered.)

As far as the aesthetics of the website and viewbooks... Do you think there's any relationship to the very, very plain appearance of the facilities? Is this a Philadelphia thing? Is style just less important in Philly?

Of course, since I like Temple and plan to attend, I like to think these factors are weeding out people who are too easily influenced by those things, thereby resulting in a better, smarter student body.

savage_fred

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Temple Law aesthetics or lack thereof
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2007, 01:51:24 PM »
Has anyone noticed that the Temple law school website and viewbooks are not nearly as impressive as some from much less respected schools (i.e. "third tier")? And, it's not just the appearance -- it's also relatively hard to find information on the Temple website; and the viewbooks are pretty thin and lacking in detail.

It can be hard to overlook these weaknesses and seek out the hard facts that really matter. Do you think these "marketing" issues help explain why Temple's "conversion" rate is relatively low? (The percentage of admitted students who actually enroll is lower than most schools I've considered.)

As far as the aesthetics of the website and viewbooks... Do you think there's any relationship to the very, very plain appearance of the facilities? Is this a Philadelphia thing? Is style just less important in Philly?

Of course, since I like Temple and plan to attend, I like to think these factors are weeding out people who are too easily influenced by those things, thereby resulting in a better, smarter student body.

I haven't paid too much attention to the aesthetics of the Temple Law website or viewbooks and I don't know enough about the city of Philadelphia to determine whether or not the Temple Law presentation is a reflection of Philadelphia style. I have visited the campus and Klein Hall seems to be a highly modern and efficient piece of architecture without many bells or whistles. Upon researching the building I noticed that it was built in 1972 to replace the old law building that was destroyed by fire. Taking this into account, I would guess that Klein Hall was built hastily without much regard for style/content in order to replace the old building and to get the Law School back up and running following the fire.

As for the website, I have found it to be one of the most informative and easily navigable of all the schools I applied (I didn't apply to any T3 schools). It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but I think this is more of a funcion of the unflattering school colors , not design choice/layout.

Finally, Temple seems to have more area-specific viewbooks than most schools. Thus far I have received the general viewbook, the trial advocacy viewbook, the international law viewbook, the intellectual property viewbook, and the faculty publication viewbook. As viewbooks go, they aren't overly-informative nor have I found them lacking information. They didn't answer all the questions, but then again that's impossible.     

Overall, I don't think it is possible to draw any conclusions about the quality of a law school from the quality of their public relations materials. I did, however, kill some minutes at work by taking the time to reply to this post. 

savage_fred

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2007, 01:58:37 PM »
I know most people have already decided to attend Temple.  With that in mind, is anyone else concerned about the at graduation employment rate - Temple's being 65%.  9 months after grad employment rate is 95%  Theyre not bad, but i feel like those are not spectacular either. 

I'm not worried.

Temple Gator

• Temple Law in 2007
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Law aesthetics or lack thereof
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2007, 02:34:02 PM »
Perhaps a more relevant consideration is whether the library and other parts of the facilities are as conducive to learning as some other schools. For example, I visited Suffolk and was absolutely stunned by the law library, moot court rooms, etc.  And I've read, in Susan Estrich's book, that the studying environment has more impact on you than you might think.

Obviously, I've chosen Temple over Suffolk, so I can't be too worried about this. But, I would like to know what others think about these issues. Maybe someone on this board has seen more of the law library and found some great spots for studying, for example.

danielle83

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2007, 09:08:51 AM »
Hey, more Philadelphia related questions for people from the area.  We are flying in to look at houses probably next week and I wanted opinions on a couple of areas.  The areas that seem to be most affordable for us with an easy comute are Mt. Airy and Germantown.... how are these areas?  Also, my fiance is convinced that Fishtown is the next up and coming area and that would be the best investment but everyone I know from Philly told me there is absolutely no way we should live there.  Any input?

Thanks guys!

Barbie22

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2007, 09:51:16 AM »
I know most people have already decided to attend Temple.  With that in mind, is anyone else concerned about the at graduation employment rate - Temple's being 65%.  9 months after grad employment rate is 95%  Theyre not bad, but i feel like those are not spectacular either. 

I'm not worried.

Why.