Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Temple Class of 2010 (entering in Fall 2007)  (Read 33128 times)

danielle83

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Temple Class of 2010 (entering in Fall 2007)
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2007, 03:37:29 PM »
Hey, I'm not sure of the exact address but it's on Ridge St and it's apparently bordering the very southern tip of the Manayunk area.  According to the real estate agent it's a nice area, but we are thinking of flying into Philly in the next few weeks to see it if the owners are interested in our offer.

That tax thing kind of sucks but I don't think we would want to move much further from the city and I'm not sure which areas would not have that tax that would be such an easy commute.

Thanks so much for your help!

Templedude7

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2007, 04:31:20 PM »
Hey, I'm not sure of the exact address but it's on Ridge St and it's apparently bordering the very southern tip of the Manayunk area.  According to the real estate agent it's a nice area, but we are thinking of flying into Philly in the next few weeks to see it if the owners are interested in our offer.

That tax thing kind of sucks but I don't think we would want to move much further from the city and I'm not sure which areas would not have that tax that would be such an easy commute.

Thanks so much for your help!

Danielle,

Another thing you might want to consider before you buy a house in the city. Besides the wage tax, this year there will be a "reassessment" of Real estate taxes. What this means is that many properties in the city will have significant increases in their taxes.

Here is a link to one of the organizations who is advocating this corrupt idea:
<http://www.philadelphiaforward.org/citywide_reassessment>

If you scroll down, you will see a map of Philadelphia and the areas which are currently "undertaxed" and those which have been "overtaxed." The Board of Revision of Taxes will be assessing the properties at full value and it is up to city council to reduce the tax rates so as to not hit home owners with a significant increase. Considering how corrupt and inept this city council is, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people get screwed this year. So my suggestion is to think long and hard about buying in the city. You could always buy a little outside the cit and get a nicer area.

kelley123

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007, 12:08:56 AM »
Anyone else get a letter about being named First Year Scholar? The letter is kind of vague as to what this really is...I mean I'm not complaining since its added scholarship money..I just didn't know if anyone knew anything else or has one  :-\
<3 Temple, USD, Loyola Chicago$, Pace$$, St. Louis$$
<?3 (WL)  AU, UMD, Brooklyn
</3 Fordham, BC

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=kelley123

PhilaGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2007, 09:37:34 AM »
I don't know, but congratulations on getting the award!

Has anyone else received their OwlNet pin # but nothing else to tell us how to log on?  I'm not sure if we're supposed to get a different mailing with our username, or if it's something we set up when we get to school, or what.  I know that if I can't log in soon and change my pin to something I'll remember, though, I'm going to lose the paper...if I haven't already...

Barbie22

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2007, 11:18:50 AM »
from what i read about last year, we wont get those until july-ish if i remember correctly.

savage_fred

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2007, 11:07:38 AM »
Are they ever going to cash my seat deposit check or do they wait until tuition is due? I hate having outstanding checks, especially outstanding checkes for $350.00.

Barbie22

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2007, 12:06:40 PM »
 350?  did you pay both deposits already?

savage_fred

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2007, 03:27:37 PM »
350?  did you pay both deposits already?

Yeah, I went ahead and paid both deposits. The checks have been outstanding for about two weeks now following the email from the admissions department that confirmed their receipt. I went ahead and called Temple and they said they have to send the checks over to some other general University department before they get cashed so it can take a while. 

Barbie22

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2007, 02:14:52 PM »
I know most people have already decided to attend Temple.  With that in mind, is anyone else concerned about the at graduation employment rate - Temple's being 65%.  9 months after grad employment rate is 95%  Theyre not bad, but i feel like those are not spectacular either. 

Temple Gator

• Temple Law in 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2007, 08:19:16 PM »
I know most people have already decided to attend Temple.  With that in mind, is anyone else concerned about the at graduation employment rate - Temple's being 65%.  9 months after grad employment rate is 95%  Theyre not bad, but i feel like those are not spectacular either. 

If Temple's job placement is significantly below some other school that you want to attend, in a city where you want to work, I say go to the other school -- assuming job placement is one of your top criteria. In my case, Temple is above my other choices in that regard -- especially if you factor in salary and job types also.

Of course, the "at graduation" number is always going to be lower for schools that have a lot of graduates aiming for public interest or government or prosecutor or public defender jobs or small law firms. That's because those employers can't make projections far enough in advance and can't take the same risk required to hire applicants who haven't passed the bar yet.