Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Temple Class of 2010 (entering in Fall 2007)  (Read 33986 times)

Barbie22

• View Profile
Re: Temple Class of 2010 (entering in Fall 2007)
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 09:13:52 AM »
I just got accepted to U of Florida and their in state tuition (around 9k) after 1l is veeery appealing.  Decisions....

savage_fred

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 06:22:46 PM »
I will be attending Temple Law in the fall. I look forward to a challenging experience and I'm especially attracted to the school for its' writing program and I hope to write on to one of the journals. I don't know too much about Philly (I'm from New Mexico,vis Oregon, via Kansas), so I'm excited to get there and check it out.

savage_fred

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 06:25:58 PM »
Does anyone know exactly how hard it is to qualify for in-state tuition at Temple Law? I'll be moving from Florida, living off-campus in Pennsylvania (probably Phildelphia County).

I read some info about this that says it's subjective. You put together a list of evidence that shows you really intend to stay in Pennsylvania after graduation (register car in PA, register to vote in PA, etc.) and submit your request for in-state status.

If the prospects look bleak, I might be able to rely on this fact... My father is planning to give me some PA farmland that's been in the family for generations. He's been talking about doing this in the next year or so -- for reasons completely unrelated to me attending Temple. But, the tax implications of this make me wary.

Any insights?

I asked the admissions office this very question and the information above is pretty accurate. They said a permanent job offer is a guarantee for in-state tuition as is owning land/property.   

danielle83

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 06:56:12 PM »
Hi everyone!  Just mailed my Temple deposit so I just wanted to say hi.  My name is Danielle, I did my undergrad in psychology at Carnegie Mellon University and have been working in Albuquerque, NM in mental health for the past two years while getting a masters degree in professional counseling.  I am so looking forward to Temple!  I am originally from NY, so no instate tuition as of now but I am engaged and will be married in August.  Since my fiance will be working full time and we are planning on buying a home, I am hoping for in-state tuition as well.  I am planning on studying health law but I am very interested in trial advocacy and international law as well.  Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Templedude7

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 02:08:11 PM »
Welcome Danielle and bump!

Barbie22

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 03:25:26 PM »
So when are people going to look for housing? 

Templedude7

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 03:48:38 PM »
Well I'm from Northeast Philadelphia and thats where I will be residing. I'll be commuting on the regional rails. I personally don't recommend that people live near campus. However, Center City is an ideal location.

PhilaGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 03:53:18 PM »
It's not too terrible to find housing in Philly.  A lot of leases here start in June, so if you don't have any other obligations for the summer and can move here then, it's a good time.  But you should be able to find July and August leases, too.

danielle83

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 07:34:19 PM »
That's cool that some of you guys are from Philly.  I know most of the time we'll be studying, but on the rare night we have time to go out I have heard Philly has an awesome bar scene/nightlife so I'm excited to check out some of those places!

savage_fred

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 11:09:07 AM »
I'm gonna move out there in late July/early August. I'm looking for places in and around the Center City or the University City area, but none of the places I've contacted will start filling an August lease until June. I've found what appear to be liveable places in the area ranging from $600-850/month. I won't have a car, so I'm looking to live close to the SEPTA.

This site seems to be the most promising:

http://www.4wallsinphilly.com/