Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law review too much time?  (Read 2133 times)

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
Re: Law review too much time?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 11:23:03 AM »
I finished my short write-on competition about a month ago, and will hear back from 1 of the 4 journals at my school this Friday.  I am on Moot Court and a member of the SBA executive already.  If I make journal, I'd like to do my comment over the summer combined w/a part-time job.  About how many hours per week would those of you on law review or another journal say that you put into your note or comment?
UGPA: 3.4, 3.9 last 3 years
LSAT: 163
B.A.: University of Nevada
Majors: History/Poli Sci

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Friends: Loyola-Chicago, UC-Davis

Rejections: None

Fiancee: American

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 12:47:11 PM »
You should check to see it its possible to write your comment over the summer.  All three journals at my school (the main one and 2 secondary) requires everyone to go through the comment writing process during 2L, and have a set schedule of deadlines for when you have to have chosen a faculty advisor, when you have to have a topic, and when drafts are due.  Other schools aren't as rigid, perhaps.

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 02:26:15 PM »
All 4 of my school's journals allow summer comments.
UGPA: 3.4, 3.9 last 3 years
LSAT: 163
B.A.: University of Nevada
Majors: History/Poli Sci

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Friends: Loyola-Chicago, UC-Davis

Rejections: None

Fiancee: American

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 06:45:49 PM »
Nice.  I kind of wish mine did - would've made 2L less hellish.

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 07:46:07 PM »
What is the protocol for quitting a journal once you are on, can you still write it on your resume (ignore obvious ethical issues)

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 08:45:48 PM »
What is the protocol for quitting a journal once you are on, can you still write it on your resume (ignore obvious ethical issues)

At my school (and I assume most), you must serve 2 years on Law Review before you can put it on your resume, although you can have it on your resume while you're on LR.  In fact, at my school, it's against the Honor Code to serve less than 2 years and still have LR on one's resume.  It's absolutely ridiculous, but you can see the rationale:  if you can put LR on your resume after one year, most people would probably quit after serving one year.  At least, I would quit...

amoebalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 10:47:55 AM »
"It doesn't help you be a better lawyer but nevertheless firms look at it as a proxy for excellence so you just suck it up and do it."

It also might be a decent gauge of whether you'll be able to handle the overwhelming and excruciatingly-tiresome work that many BigLaw firms will be expecting you to do as an Associate.

If you can handle law review and keep a smile on your face, maybe you can handle BigLaw, too. :)