Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: John Marshall - Atlanta v. South Texas  (Read 5499 times)

Oliver

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: John Marshall - Atlanta v. South Texas
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 03:12:17 PM »
I think they are making ~$60-80,000 per year.  Houston is a large market and even the smaller firms tend to pay pretty well.  Probably 25 lawyers and below.

I don't think Houston's market is that easy because there are three law schools in that city.  South Houston has a big class of about 300 students.  In addition, UT is not far away with about 500 students per graduating class and not to mention graduates from University of Houston, Baylor, Texas Tech etc. 

I wonder how many of Southern Texas law gradutates end up jobless or settle for non-law jobs. Even with that being said, it's still better than the no-name school in Atlanta facing competition from GSU, UGA, Emory, Alabama, USC, UNC, all Florida schools, etc.

Contract2008, I wonder if the reason you're feeling ignored is because you aren't making very much sense.  South Houston is not a law school.  Neither is Southern Texas. 

When you mention Houston's 3rd law school, you must mean Texas Southern.  It's a joke.  Graduates from South Texas and U of Houston fare MUCH much better than Texas Southern, which has been investigated by the ABA and has an abysmal bar passage rate.

There is competition, but South Texas grads in Houston do take care of their own and hire other South Texas grads, just not at the biggest firms.

AtlantaSteve

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SPerkinsManheim
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 03:16:37 PM »
Don't forget to mention that John Marshall won the regional mock trial competition last year and will have a law review next year.

Huh, not even I knew about the Mock Trial thing... I haven't done much looking into it yet because it will be a year or so before I'm eligible to participate.  However, I did know that we won the regional championship for the ABA Client Counseling Competition last year.  The winner always hosts the following year's regional championships, and I volunteered to help out.  I was only supposed to be a door greeter or something like that.  However, the attorney set to be the mock "client" in the championship round ended up being ineligible due to how the brackets played out (I believe that he had already judged one of the finalists in an earlier round).  As a result, I got thrown into being the "client" for the 3-hour final round, which was probably almost as stressful for me as it was for the competitors.  I learned a hell of a lot, though.

MelissaM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 04:00:45 PM »
AtlantaSteve

If i do decide to go to JMLS-Atl then I'll be living with my parents at least for the first year to cut down on living costs, but the bad part is they live about an hour northwest of Atlanta, in Ellijay. So I'll be commuting. Do you live close by the school or do you commute as well? I know Atlanta traffic is a nightmare, however I'm willing to make the truck to save $10,000+ in rent, utl., food, etc. for the first year. I'm considering getting a place the second and third year more near the school but by then I may be able to find a roommate and be able to work some during the summer to save up.

AtlantaSteve

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 04:23:38 PM »
AtlantaSteve

If i do decide to go to JMLS-Atl then I'll be living with my parents at least for the first year to cut down on living costs, but the bad part is they live about an hour northwest of Atlanta, in Ellijay. So I'll be commuting. Do you live close by the school or do you commute as well? I know Atlanta traffic is a nightmare, however I'm willing to make the truck to save $10,000+ in rent, utl., food, etc. for the first year. I'm considering getting a place the second and third year more near the school but by then I may be able to find a roommate and be able to work some during the summer to save up.

I live out in the suburbs, but still it's a lot closer than Elijay.  It takes me about 20-25 minutes to get to school on the weekend, maybe an hour or more in Mon-Fri heavy traffic.  I've met some students with crazy commutes, though.  One of my classmates lives on the other side of Lake Lanier and drives an hour and a half each way for class, that's about as far as your haul.  I know several students who live in the Carolinas, yet stay with family or roommates during the week and drive home every weekend.

Atlanta traffic is nasty... but unless there's a major event going on (like basketball March Madness), it's generally predictable.  If you leave very early, or a lot later than the normal 9-to-5'ers, you can miss most of it.  It all depends on your class schedule.  Maybe another option is to drive until you get to the northside of town, then ride a MARTA train the rest of the way through the really congested parts (students get discounted fares, and the train stations have free parking).  I would start putting the feelers out early on about wanting a second-year roommate, though.  Lots of other people will be in the same boat... and if you DO decide to get an in-town roommate, the best situation would be with a fellow law student who's under the same workload as you.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 04:35:52 PM »
Melissa, I think the better options are FIU, UALR, and South Texas.  Both UALR and South Texas have good regional reputation and well-established for years. As for FIU, it just got accredited, but because of it's high numbers (LSAT and GPA), it's a Tier 3 already. 

If JM doesn't have high numbers, it will probably stay at the bottom of Tier 4 and don't get much respect just like Texas Southern.  You metioned about no curve...that's something you should look more into.  Do they have a high percentage of students dropping/forced out?  Lots of tier 4 schools, especially the newer ones, like to weed out students after the first year.  If you think you'll be at least at the top 50%, you don't have to worry about it much, but still, the bottom 20% people leaving means your class rank will be lowered and competing with the upper 80%. 

studentofthelaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 04:43:59 PM »
I'm from Florida and really want to stay in the general area.

South Texas has a really large alumni group in Florida, and is a pretty well respected school there.

I personally think you are crazy to be considering a non-accredited school over one that has a good reputation in Houston (the 4th largest city in the country) and the state in which you want to live.  Just my two cents.

AtlantaSteve

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 06:48:09 PM »
Yup, if you go to any lower ranked school and place in the bottom 20%, you're going to have to hustle harder than everyone else until you get a real resume established.  Still, unless you're heading to Yale on a full scholarship, there will ALWAYS be people on LawSchoolDiscussion.org to tell you what a loser you are.  These boards are definately not for the thin-skinned.  Ultimately, you just have to visit as many schools as possible in person, and not be shy about asking as many questions as possible at each.

GA-fan

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007, 11:30:28 AM »
I'd hold out for FIU if I were you- instate tuition, isn't it? Plus it's now accredited and premiered as a T3- With apps down overall for the last few cycles, I would hold off on putting down a deposit on J. Marshall b/c it's unaccredited so far, and wouldn't consider S. Texas if you want to work in Ga or FL. Just my .02- I met a few kids from FIU at teh FL bar meetings this year, and they were pretty nice and seemed very professional. I was impressed. I think the school has some good things going for it...

MelissaM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 10:38:45 PM »
Yeah I am waiting to hear back from FIU, but last year I applied and was waitlisted and then rejected so I'm sort of assuming it will be the same way this year (although I raised my LSAT). I figure it I do get in then it'll be a nice surprise haha. Yeah FIU is in-state for me approx $9000/year which is a real bargain. I've heard a lot of good things about FIU but for now I'm pretending like it's not an option because it really isn't until I hear more. I am going to South Texas this Monday-Tuesday so I will definitely ask questions.
I'm from Florida and really want to stay in the general area.

South Texas has a really large alumni group in Florida, and is a pretty well respected school there.

How do you know about the alumni group in Florida? Any personal experience?? As for JMLS I was told by other students that attend there, as well as the director of admissions, the ABA was there a few weeks ago and encouraged the school to pull up their GPA and LSAT scores and so they will be working on that for the upcoming admissions considerations. I know it may sound crazy to some people that I'm actually considering JMLS, but I mean the accredidation thing at first I thought was a big deal and in calling the ABA, GA Bar and the school it doesn't really sound like a huge problem, especially if the school is excelling in most expectations. We shall see though. Thanks for the advice though....everyone has made my decision THAT much harder  ;)

Shirley Schmidt

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007, 03:34:26 PM »
I am a former Tampa resident, now attending STCL.  There are large alumni associations in the Tampa and Miami areas.  We have a Florida Law Students Association here at STCL, and we stay very involved with the alumni in Florida.

STCL does not feel like a large school, at least not compared to undergrad. I am friends with the majority of people in my section, but I also know 3Ls from upper level classes, and 1Ls from being involved in extra-curricular activities. 

I encourage you to take a tour when you come visit.  STCL has a lot to offer!