Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are "good grades?"  (Read 3472 times)

LubedPumpkin

• Happily flushing at my TTT.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PhunkyKatie
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal
    • Email
What are "good grades?"
« on: March 25, 2007, 10:25:47 PM »
Is there a cutoff? Obviously, there may be a difference depending on where you go - a 3.0 from T3-4 is could be seen as crap compared to a 3.0 from a T1-2, but generally. what's good? Rank factors in as well, I'm sure. How does it all play? How can you say, with any confidence, that you have done well?
'pumpkin
----------------------
Signed, Sealed Delivered: Albany
Hit the Road Jack:
Get it While You Can: Suffolk (Waitlisted/Withdrawn)
Do I Ever Cross Your Mind:Quinnipiac

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=schlin96

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What are "good grades?"
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 10:36:06 PM »
I'd say it all depends on class rank; if your school has a B+ average, then I wouldn't consider a B+ "good" (although it depends on your standards).  I'd say if you mean the word "good" to have any bite, top 10% is about the cutoff if you're below the t14.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 10:38:08 PM »
Insecurity abound in these first two posts.

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 10:40:57 PM »
grading scales vary from school to school, and generally (depends) tier to tier.  If you're just looking for a simple answer, to "what are 'good grades?'" class rank is where you should look. Top 5% at a T1 is awesome, just as Top 5% at a T4 is awesome. However, Top 75% at a T14 may be good, whereas Top 75% at T4 is not so good.  Across the board, gpa's are not descriptive enough.

StrenuouslyObject

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 11:15:21 PM »
Is there a cutoff? Obviously, there may be a difference depending on where you go - a 3.0 from T3-4 is could be seen as crap compared to a 3.0 from a T1-2, but generally. what's good? Rank factors in as well, I'm sure. How does it all play? How can you say, with any confidence, that you have done well?

This could not be more wrong. 

Grades are a product of the curve that each school utilizes.  I know a T4 school whose curve is a 2.3.  Think that 3.0 is still crap?  On the other hand, my T2 uses a 2.9 curve:  3.0 is only "decent" here. 

I think most would agree with me that your rank is more important than your grades because if you have only a 3.5 but are number 4 in your class, you're obviously kicking ass; but if you're 3.4 only puts you at #20 in the class, you're still in good shape but not as good as the kid with the SAME GRADES but a higher rank than you.

Now, of course you must also factor in the prestige of your school, as a number 4 rank at Yale (sidenote:  do they even rank?) will be held in higher esteem than a number 4 rank at Cooley (sorry, Cooley folks). 

HTH

I just realized that rick basically said the same thing as I did in an earlier post.  I apologize for restating what has already been said. 

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 11:55:15 PM »
Rank is definitely more important. However, those latin words after your name look nice as well and they're determined entirely by GPA.

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 12:11:38 AM »
That is not entirely true, some schools award honors on rank as well.  For example, summa might be top 10%, cumma might be top 30%. 

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 09:21:02 AM »
Insecurity abound in these first two posts.

Hmm.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

Bob D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 11:15:06 AM »
The only thing that matters is class rank, not grades.

At Harvard, good grades are anything that is high enough so you can graduate.

At non-top 14 schools, good grades mean top 10% of the class.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 12:24:01 PM »
That is not entirely true, some schools award honors on rank as well.  For example, summa might be top 10%, cumma might be top 30%. 

Yeah, "cumma" is awesome.  You should put that on your resume.   ;)