Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reneging on a Job Acceptance  (Read 3670 times)

starter

• View Profile
Reneging on a Job Acceptance
« on: March 24, 2007, 12:49:57 AM »
I accepted an offer from a small firm earlier this week.  However, today a firm that I contacted some time ago got in touch with me about setting up an interview.  All things considered I'd probably rather work for Firm B but I haven't interviewed much less received an offer.  If I do receive an offer and the pay is significantly better would it be completely stupid to renege and go to work for Firm B this summer?  I'm thinking of the bridges that I might burn and things such as that.

roygbiv

• View Profile
Re: Reneging on a Job Acceptance
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 01:47:10 AM »
Have you taken contracts yet?

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 07:31:09 AM »
You can't take an interview after you have an offer.  NALP rules.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 08:36:46 AM »
You can, but you're being a total d*ck and burning a lot of bridges.  This is in addition to all the rules you may be breaking - NALP if the firms belong (the small firm might, but what about the other?) and your school's conduct code - career services may have more than a few things to say about what you're considering.

Bottom line - if you weren't thrilled to be working at the first firm, you shouldn't have accepted.  You did accept their offer, and are contractually bound to work there this summer.  Grow-ups don't always get to do 100% of what they want.

starter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 09:46:26 AM »
Yes, I've taken contracts but I'm also familiar with the employment at will doctrine that applies in my state.  Neither of the firms are in the NALP Directory and neither come to my school to recruit.  The only rule I'll be breaking is the rule against being a dickhead which might be strong enough for me not to accept if I do get an offer from Firm B.

The responses don't seem to positive (as I kind of expected) but I also suspect that most of you are in the very top of your classes and have no problem getting interviews and offers.  I, however, am not and find those two things much harder to come by. Here's the story behind this.

I got in contact with Firm B (and many other firms) about a month ago and had all but given up on them and every other firm because most had not responded and the ones that had said they weren't hiring.  It's easy to sit back and say I should have waited before accepting a job from Firm A but when it is Mid March and you have exactly one offer and nothing else on the table it's hard to not accept what is in front of you.  The pay isn't what I want but it was a legal job and I'm a 2L.  Kind of bad not to have a legal job for your 2L summer.  I have no doubt that Frim B would pay more, much more and has potential to lead to something permanent whlle Firm A is a dead end job.  I don't see what's wrong with at least going on an interview and seeing what they have to offer. 

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 10:32:04 AM »
Stop being law students and start being people.  This isn't a contracts issue or an employment at will issue.  Its a politics and people issue.  Is firm A in your school's area?  Do they typically recruit from your school?  In other words, would you be throwing your school's rep under the bus by potentially renegging?  And if so, does it matter?  Is there any way that you could split the baby here?

The first thing you need to do is find out what this means for you vis-a-vis your career services office.  If you're breaking NALP rules, you may be cutting yourself off from your school's career services office. 

I would probably go on the interview and if things start getting down to brass tacks then you can figure out what to do.  Are you a 1L?  If so, then you could use this as a get to know you interview and then play this thing off the bounce for next summer.  Also, what is the profile of firm 1?  If it is just a small firm, I would suspect that they will understand your situation - i.e. that you would prefer something with the potential for future employment.  Its not like not having you is going to cause the firm to go under.

starter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 11:50:10 AM »
Stop being law students and start being people.  This isn't a contracts issue or an employment at will issue.  Its a politics and people issue.  Is firm A in your school's area?  Do they typically recruit from your school?  In other words, would you be throwing your school's rep under the bus by potentially renegging?  And if so, does it matter?  Is there any way that you could split the baby here?

The first thing you need to do is find out what this means for you vis-a-vis your career services office.  If you're breaking NALP rules, you may be cutting yourself off from your school's career services office. 

I would probably go on the interview and if things start getting down to brass tacks then you can figure out what to do.  Are you a 1L?  If so, then you could use this as a get to know you interview and then play this thing off the bounce for next summer.  Also, what is the profile of firm 1?  If it is just a small firm, I would suspect that they will understand your situation - i.e. that you would prefer something with the potential for future employment.  Its not like not having you is going to cause the firm to go under.

Both firms are in the area of my school, about 60-70 miles away.  Firm A is a sole practitioner, Firm B is a firm of 6 attorneys in a larger city than Firm A.  Neither firm recruits at my school nor ever has to the best of my knowledge.  Neither is listed in the NALP directory. 

As I said before, I'm a 2L and I think Firm B could have more career potential. 

Harvey Birdman - Attorney at Law

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
are people actually insinuating that accepting an offer for a job is a binding contract?

wow

take firm B if they offer you a job, but contact firm A as soon as you make that decision so they can find someone else.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 08:44:27 PM »
everyone stop calling a sole practicioner a "firm."
pudding is delightful

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 11:18:46 AM »
I would e-mail firm A and say thank you so much for the offer....you're really really excited about it.  You loved firm A and you're really excited about it and if you go there you'll be dedicated 100% but you just found out that you have an interview at another firm and you'd like to at least give them the same opportunity you gave firm A.

Whatever you do do not turn down firm A before you have an official offer from firm B.