Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2007 Widener TAP program-DE?  (Read 9418 times)

Lovely_38

• View Profile
    • Email
2007 Widener TAP program-DE?
« on: March 23, 2007, 04:52:13 PM »
Just trying to find out as much as I can about the TAP program DE. I will be attending this fall. Is there anyone else on here who will be going this summer? Is there anyone who can give me some advice? 

readytogo2

• View Profile
Re: 2007 Widener TAP program-DE?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:45:38 AM »
I am actually thinking about enrolling in the TAP this summer too. I just got the letter the other week and of course need to make a decision soon. I will be going to the campus in Harrisburg and I as well would love to know more about it. If you find out anything, keep me posted. I know that it isn't an acceptance and I have read some pretty harsh things on this message board (ones from the last two years about the program) but honestly, if you are willing to work and you can afford to spend the money on the classes, then you should do it. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

nascarfanof48

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 11:06:13 AM »
I am going to the Harrisburg Campus as well.  However, I misplaced my acceptance letter.  Do you know which 3 classes will be involved?  I'd like to get a head start on this thing. 

anxiety

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 02:04:08 AM »
I am going to the Harrisburg Campus as well.  However, I misplaced my acceptance letter.  Do you know which 3 classes will be involved?  I'd like to get a head start on this thing. 

I did TAP last summer at the Harrisburg campus and was accepted for regular admission. :) The three classes I took were Torts, Legal Writing, and Remedies. I made friends with some older 2Ls who had done TAP previously and heard that Remedies was tossed in for the hell of it that summer, and that usually Contracts is taught instead. There's really no way to get a head start - just be prepared for the first Torts class if you've got Lee. :p He's a great professor but he really grills you.
Disgruntled 3L

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 02:12:24 AM »
I am a 1L at Widener-DE and, although I didn't attend TAP, I have a couple of friends who did and they are all in the top 20-30%.  From what I understand, its pretty hardcore, much more so than the classes you'll attend in the fall.  But, if you do it, you'll find yourself ahead of those who didn't.

Good Luck

caileyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 08:52:23 PM »
I'm going!  I've heard that the program is immensely hard, but can be done! 

JenniferC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 09:06:49 AM »
Hello!  I'm going through TAP, but at the Wilmington campus.  I received the first week assignments yesterday.  I'm excited and nervous at the same time.  I know the program is going to be difficult to say the least, but if we make it through we'll be better students for it.  Oh I saw in an earlier thread that someone was asking about the classes.  Not sure if you know already, but the courses are Legal Methods, Torts and Civil Procedure.  Our books should be at the book store May 14 and we have plenty of work BEFORE courses even start.  Sorry to drag on, but it's refreshing to talk about this with people who understand the situation.  Well, GOOD LUCK to all!

wlde2001

• View Profile
    • Email
Widener Trial Admissions Program - TAP - Delaware/Harrisburg
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 04:08:51 PM »
After reading many of the posts on the law school message boards last year, as a hopeful One L, I have decided to post some informational guidance for those that will be attending or are contemplating enrollment in Widener Law's Trial Admission Program, aka."TAP."

I know I had many questions and reservations about the TAP program, so here is a summation of what I learned:

To start, I think much of the information online about TAP is misleading, very misleading. There are the cynics on some of these boards that will say... "You don't belong in law school." And, "Don't do it. It's a scam." Don't listen to them! For many with HIGH GPA's and low LSAT's (and vice-versa), TAP is a great program to show that you have the cognitive ability to do law school coursework. TAP basically gives you a chance to prove yourself and if you take it seriously enough, you will.

Widener Law usually selects about 200 potential students (110 DE, 90 PA) to attend the TAP program every summer. Widener tries to pick students that have really great "resumes" but are lacking in other areas... usually either GPA or LSAT. This means that you will be going against some really great students and it will get very competitive.

The cost is $1500. Expensive, yes... but, worth it if you get in. I would recommend going this route if you know that you really want to be in law school. However, on the other hand, it is also a good way to determine if you do want to be in law school. It can save you a whole lot of money (like a year or two of tuition) in the long run. People do drop out of TAP and people do drop out of law school. It's not for everyone.

On that note... you are not yet in law school. Save yourself the disappointment later by telling everyone you got in to law school. Basically, you are in "legal purgatory" and it can go either way. I heard a lot of people after the first class regretting the fact that they called everyone they knew to let them know they got accepted. The acceptance is conditional on your performance and you have to perform to get in. I wouldn't even buy a notebook with Widener Law on it until I got in. Bad Karma. Stay away from it.

The program itself will last 6 weeks and consists of three classes - Legal Writing, Torts and Civil Procedure. These are basic first year classes that are good predictors of success. The classes are not watered down and they are not easy. They are meant to challenge you academically. You need to pay attention to what you are learning and go over it until you know it. Make sure you brief, outline, take sample tests and get Examples and Explanations. (It's extra money, but it helps.) Also, do not assume that Legal Writing is an easy class. It is difficult and requires a lot of time to write. Plan accordingly.

Your only grades in TAP will come from your final exams and legal memo. This means that you have to perform on each one. The acceptance threshold is a 2.75 GPA (C+ Average). At face value, that doesn't seem to difficult to achieve. However, you have to remember that you only have three grades. On top of that, A's do not exist. Forget about it. They do not give them and this is on purpose. You don't know enough to get an A. The ranges of grades will be B, B-, C+, C, C-,D. (However, D's aren't usually given unless the exam/paper is horrible. They will usually give a C, C-... knowing that it is not enough for you to get in.) This grade range leaves little room for error, but you can still hit the 2.75 GPA even if you don't do so great in one class.

The final exams are law school essay exams. Learn how to take them. No multiple choice/fill in blank/short answer. Just fact patterns and issue spotting. These are difficult and you need to be prepared to move quickly in order to score the most points. Computers are allowed and I would recommend typing.

Admittance through TAP to Widener Law - DE in 2008 was 17 students, or about 14%. That is much lower than the one-third to one-quarter statistic that Widener gives in the packets. Be aware of this. They do not have a quota or let in a certain number. Just the number that happens to meet the GPA.... that they purposely have a tough curve on.

You will get your acceptance or denial in late mid-late July. It take a while but... the usual big, white envelope is a good sign that you got in.

You will be placed into the part-time law program at Widener for the first year. There are no exceptions to this. Believe me. I thought that there was. However, you can make up the missed classes during the summer session and transfer to regular division after a year. Also, once you get in. No one knows that you are a TAP student unless you tell them. I didn't even know some of the people in my TAP class and just recently found out that some people in my current classes went through the program.

As far as keeping up with the other students, usually TAP students do really well. The Dean's List reception was attended by at least half of the TAP students from last summer. TAP puts you in a good place to succeed and really helps with the fundamentals of law school.

Best of luck to all who attend. You can do it...  just work hard!