Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it true .. NO FREE TIME?  (Read 2630 times)

NOOONE999

• View Profile
Is it true .. NO FREE TIME?
« on: March 23, 2007, 01:06:54 PM »
I know I am NOT a law student yet but I will be in the fall so that is why I am directing my question here. I am wondering how much free time will I have? Can I fly home to see my parents now and then? will I have any free weekends to myself? Is it really as bad as people make it out to be? Can someone answer me honestly and give me an example of how much time they really spend doing homework and classwork and how many classes you take a day? Do you go to school all week? Saturdays? I just want an example. I just want to know what life is like as a typical law student. I would like people from differnt schools to answer b/c I am assuming that students at differnt school will have different experiences.
Thanks so much.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

JohnnyAwesome

Re: Is it true .. NO FREE TIME?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 01:15:21 PM »
I had many of the same questions as you did, I thought I would have no free time, but I found that I have as much as I did in undergrad. The operative thing is because in undergrad I was working 25-35 hours a week, now I'm not working at all. So it balances out. I give it about 3-5 hours a day depending on the work load for the week. However, during the first semester when your memo is due, expect your free time to be cut dramatically, in the two weeks coming up to the due date you'll gradually increase the amount of time you spend working until it almost is exclusive of your entire day. Also the 2-3 approaching finals expect to be dead to the outside law school world. It's hard, but it's not as much as other people will make it seem. I was able to play rugby full time, maintain a social life and do very well my first semester. On the weekends expect a few hours a day on saturday and sunday (if you're flying home, that may be ample) or you can do it all at once in one day and take the other off. Some people make it seem much worse than it is, but in my opinion it's not all that bad.

Harvey Birdman - Attorney at Law

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 05:50:27 PM »
I had many of the same questions as you did, I thought I would have no free time, but I found that I have as much as I did in undergrad. The operative thing is because in undergrad I was working 25-35 hours a week, now I'm not working at all. So it balances out. I give it about 3-5 hours a day depending on the work load for the week. However, during the first semester when your memo is due, expect your free time to be cut dramatically, in the two weeks coming up to the due date you'll gradually increase the amount of time you spend working until it almost is exclusive of your entire day. Also the 2-3 approaching finals expect to be dead to the outside law school world. It's hard, but it's not as much as other people will make it seem. I was able to play rugby full time, maintain a social life and do very well my first semester. On the weekends expect a few hours a day on saturday and sunday (if you're flying home, that may be ample) or you can do it all at once in one day and take the other off. Some people make it seem much worse than it is, but in my opinion it's not all that bad.

I agree 100%

It all depends on how efficient you are at working.  If it takes you 2 hours to do an hour of reading (mixing in web surfing, IM'ing, tv) then youll feel as though you dont have much time.  If you are somewhat efficient you can have a good amount of free time.

lizd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 08:11:05 PM »
tag

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 08:35:38 PM »
I have more free time, mainly because I study differently.  Unlike in undergrad where i screwed around, while trying to do my work.  Now, I come home, spend a few hours getting work done.  Then, I have nothing left for the rest of evening.  I am usually finished by 5 everyday, and I do little on the weekends.  It is all about planning, and just getting it done.

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 09:44:51 PM »
tag
i cite this as one of countless threads which prove my original point some weeks ago (someone will find the quote) that this is a place for sheep who need reassuring that all will be well.  weak little 22 year-olds scared of the world.  dude, law school is entirely voluntary.  i absolutely adore the way people obsess over the silliest things like "will i meet somebody?" or "how humiliating is the socratic method...really?" or "will i soil myself when i am called upon?".  i'll bet you are the variety of tit who pays for chemo for his cat while millions of people die every year from malaria...yep, you're the guy who thinks SUV emissions are a big deal when we have obscenities like the Darfur, East Timor, and female circumcision going on...what a bunch of weak ninnies...it is f&%king school guys...if you worked at a 711 the rest of your puff your standard of living would still exceed that of most of the human beings on the planet you egotistical idiiots...i cannot wait to meet all of you in the cold, cold world, i'll eat your lunches your assortment of sad, twitching nerve bundles.  what an effete group of dilletantes we sound like. jesus, i'm going to go puke.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 09:48:12 PM »
tag
i cite this as one of countless threads which prove my original point some weeks ago (someone will find the quote) that this is a place for sheep who need reassuring that all will be well.  weak little 22 year-olds scared of the world.  dude, law school is entirely voluntary.  i absolutely adore the way people obsess over the silliest things like "will i meet somebody?" or "how humiliating is the socratic method...really?" or "will i soil myself when i am called upon?".  i'll bet you are the variety of tit who pays for chemo for his cat while millions of people die every year from malaria...yep, you're the guy who thinks SUV emissions are a big deal when we have obscenities like the Darfur, East Timor, and female circumcision going on...what a bunch of weak ninnies...it is f&%king school guys...if you worked at a 711 the rest of your puff your standard of living would still exceed that of most of the human beings on the planet you egotistical idiiots...i cannot wait to meet all of you in the cold, cold world, i'll eat your lunches your assortment of sad, twitching nerve bundles.  what an effete group of dilletantes we sound like. jesus, i'm going to go puke.

Holy crap. Have you seriously lost it?
Air Force JAG Corps

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 10:21:36 PM »
tag

Wow, you got all that out of the original post?  I thought the OP was just asking how much free time people have in law school.  I guessed I missed a lot :(

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 07:34:07 AM »
tag

Get out much?
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.