Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2L Summer Offers and Clerkships  (Read 1767 times)

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
2L Summer Offers and Clerkships
« on: March 21, 2007, 09:39:28 PM »

How does this work? I know Biglaw assures you a job and bonus for federal clerkships.

I'm guessing most firms would hold your spot for Federal clerkships, but what about State Supreme Court, and will some firms just flat out not let you clerk first?

When would you bring it up, assuming you get an offer in August and the federal clerk apps. start then or soon after?

Kait

• View Profile
Re: 2L Summer Offers and Clerkships
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 10:02:10 PM »
Almost all firms value clerkships because of the experience they offer associates and will therefore allow you to take one prior to starting full time (and hold your spot), regardless of whether it is a federal or state clerkship. 

The one thing to be sensitive to, though, is that some firms are a little hesitant when it comes to clerkships because they are afraid that after having invested time and money training you during the summer, you will take the clerkship, boost your resume, and then apply to a firm elsewhere with your higher credentials, thus putting them out the amount of money they spent on you. 

I would not tell the firm about your intentions to pursue a clerkship until you have an offer. 

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 10:14:22 PM »
I talked about it during callback interviews, especially with newer associates who had recently done a clerkship.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 09:19:12 PM »
Almost all firms value clerkships because of the experience they offer associates and will therefore allow you to take one prior to starting full time (and hold your spot), regardless of whether it is a federal or state clerkship. 

The one thing to be sensitive to, though, is that some firms are a little hesitant when it comes to clerkships because they are afraid that after having invested time and money training you during the summer, you will take the clerkship, boost your resume, and then apply to a firm elsewhere with your higher credentials, thus putting them out the amount of money they spent on you. 

I would not tell the firm about your intentions to pursue a clerkship until you have an offer. 

I don't necessarily agree with this. In interviewing with V20 firms I would usually say i wanted to do litigation, and the immediate response half the time was "so you probably want to clerk" and then say good things about clerking and how much they like it.