Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rejections from Law Schools  (Read 15167 times)

gotcha

• View Profile
Rejections from Law Schools
« on: March 19, 2007, 08:32:51 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am new here and just registered today.  I have been stressing for a couple of months now due to not receiving any acceptance letters from law school.  I applied to my safe schools but yet still got rejected.  I am left with 4 more safe schools that has not responded to me and I have no idea if they will send me an acceptance letter.  I have a feeling that they will reject me as well since I am starting to lose hope.  I went to an accredited private university (Argosy University) and finished with a 3.23GPA - BA in Psychology.  I also received an AA in Criminal Justice from a not so known College (Everest) and graduated with honors.  I received a 141 on my LSAT.  With all this information, is there any way that I will be accepted in an ABA approved law school?  :(  Thank you for your time.  Good luck to all of you.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
Re: Rejections from Law Schools
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:46:34 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a flame or not, but I'll bite on this being real. I'm not sure what your safeties are, but if you shot for anything higher than a T4, you wont get in. And to be brutally honest, most T4's are probably a stretch for you at this point. Couple of questions/suggestions

1. Are you a minority student?

2. Did you apply to Cooley/Appalachian Law?

3. How many times did you take the LSAT?

If you're a minority and you applied to Cooley/Appalachian/Regent or a similarly situated T4 school, then I think you have a 50/50 shot at getting into one of those. Otherwise, my best suggestion for you would be to hire a tutor and retake the LSAT this summer and reapply. If it makes you feel any better, I scored a 139 on my first practice LSAT, and was able to bring that up to a 151 when I took the actual test. If you could pull yourself into the 150 range, bringing your average up to a 146/147, then you'll stand a better shot. A last ditch option is to wait the couple of years it takes for your LSAT to expire, gain work experience, and retake the test and reapply. Good luck

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 10:14:06 PM »
Hi, thanks for your response. 

Yes, I am a minority.

I have employment/experience history from law firms working as a Bankruptcy Legal Assistant (I didn't do filing or any regular assistant duties) My duties were reviewing motions and stipulations for 17 states nationwide.  I also have experience in Healthcare, Background investigations for nuclear power plants and currently working as a loan officer for a mortgage company.  I have been working since 19 and I am not 27. 

Here are the lists of the schools I am still waiting on.
Golden Gate University
Southwestern Law
St. Thomas University
Indiana University - Indianapolis
University of Baltimore

I just recently applied to the following schools below:
Florida Coastal School of Law
Texas Southern University
University of La Verne

I seriously don't know if my school has anything to do with this because I believe that I am the first graduate to attend law school from my undergrad school. I also was thinking if its my major in Psychology.  I don't know anymore to tell you honestly.  But I have made some plan B's.  I was thinking of pursuing another Bachelor's degree in Business from a California State University and review the LSAT and re-take it again for the second time.  What do you think I should do?

Could be falling for the biggest flame ever being that you've started 3/4 different threads asking essentially the same question

Don't see the point in pursuing another degree...add Cooley and other low T4's to the list and pray...otherwise take a year off and reapply

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 11:20:05 PM »
Hi, thanks for your response. 

Yes, I am a minority.

I have employment/experience history from law firms working as a Bankruptcy Legal Assistant (I didn't do filing or any regular assistant duties) My duties were reviewing motions and stipulations for 17 states nationwide.  I also have experience in Healthcare, Background investigations for nuclear power plants and currently working as a loan officer for a mortgage company.  I have been working since 19 and I am not 27. 

Here are the lists of the schools I am still waiting on.
Golden Gate University
Southwestern Law
St. Thomas University
Indiana University - Indianapolis
University of Baltimore

I just recently applied to the following schools below:
Florida Coastal School of Law
Texas Southern University
University of La Verne

I seriously don't know if my school has anything to do with this because I believe that I am the first graduate to attend law school from my undergrad school. I also was thinking if its my major in Psychology.  I don't know anymore to tell you honestly.  But I have made some plan B's.  I was thinking of pursuing another Bachelor's degree in Business from a California State University and review the LSAT and re-take it again for the second time.  What do you think I should do?

Assuming this isn't a flame, you need to take the lsat again.  If you want to go to law school, this really isn't an option.  141 is a pretty horrible score to be honest.  Your undergrad gpa isn't bad, and it shouldn't matter too much that its from a pretty unknown university.

And what minority are you? Some get preferential status in admissions, other minority groups don't.

But over all, your LSAT is what's bringing you down, not your major, university, work experience, etc.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 12:45:08 AM »
Your undergrad gpa isn't bad, and it shouldn't matter too much that its from a pretty unknown university.

Not to be rude, but it probably does matter that Argosy Univ. is a TTT version of University of Phoenix
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 07:29:12 AM »
Your undergrad gpa isn't bad, and it shouldn't matter too much that its from a pretty unknown university.

Not to be rude, but it probably does matter that Argosy Univ. is a TTT version of University of Phoenix

Didn't realize that; if that's the case, then that's obviously not helping the OP any.

galex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 11:44:08 AM »
I'd never thought about that before.  Does a student from a school like Argosy, University of Phoenix, etc. have any chance of getting into an ABA school?  The schools apparently are accredited even if the general perception is that they aren't (it was news to me just now.)

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 01:29:57 PM »
My guess would be yes, but that the GPA would be discounted by the AdCom.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

NOOONE999

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 02:49:25 PM »
It may be the LSAT score alone, noone can know for sure, but it would not hurt to ask the rejections why they made that decision. I had a 151 and a 3.4 but i believe they round that GPA off b/c I looked on my actual law school report that was given to all the law schools that I applied to and even though my UGPA was a 3.45 it went on paper as a 3.2 something. I found this odd so I called LSAC and sure enough they explained that they round the credits and GPA differently then my undergrad school had. You may want to go look at exactly what the law schools are getting from the LSAC. I got into Appalachian but I withdrew, I also got into Fl. Coastal and Barry but I am still waiting on Stetson and others. The LSAT score was a bit low so I would consider taking it again if you do not get accepted anywhere.

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 11:35:56 AM »
Cooley may be your best shot and you can actually determine your acceptance before you apply. The school publishes the formula used to determine admittance. If you meet the formula, you're automatically in.

It's also very simple math for the numerically impaired, such as myself.