Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cleveland St., Duquesne, or IU - Indy?  (Read 12962 times)

nlva21

• View Profile
Cleveland St., Duquesne, or IU - Indy?
« on: March 18, 2007, 11:42:33 AM »
Please help me decide which law school to choose! I have until April 1 to decide where to put my first-year deposit although I'm considering putting down multiple deposits because of my uncertainty.

I got accepted to Cleveland St. w/ a $4,000/yr. scholarship, Duquesne (no $), and IU - Indy (no $). I'm a PA resident, so I'll be paying out-of-state for Cleveland St. and IU - Indy. I know IU - Indy is ranked highest, but I would rather practice closer to home (I live in Western PA, 1 hr. from Pittsburgh, 1.5 hrs from Cleveland).

So I'm considering Cleveland St. and Duquesne more closely because of location. Any advice on which one is better? They both seem to have good local reputations, but what separates the two?. Also, I got wait-listed to Pitt and am waiting to hear back from Case, so those could factor into my decision too.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Guy LeDouche

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cleveland St., Duquesne, or IU - Indy?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 03:21:52 PM »
If you are from Pittsburgh, go to Duquesne, live at home and you will save over 4K in living expenses which will be comparable to the scholarship that Cleveland St. gave you.  Try to come out of law school with the least amount of debt possible. 

Also, Duquesne has an excellent reputation in Pittsburgh and their alumni like to hire from the school (some of the small-mid size firms will also be more attracted to you if they know you are from Pgh. because they will think that they have some stability).

On the other hand, if you get into Pitt, go there, the program is better and they grade on a B curve (as opposed to Duquesne's C curve) which believe me looks much better when presenting your transcript to an interviewer.  Duquesne has basically dealt their students a serious disadvantage in the Pgh. job market by instituting a C curve. 

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 03:56:30 PM »
IU-Indy is a good school. Go there, they probably have a decent foothold in a big city market. Just a thought. Make sure you visit all the campuses before deciding, it makes a big difference.

nlva21

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 01:27:23 AM »
Thanks for the advice! I just received a $10,000/yr. scholarship to IU-Indy today, so that totally changes my mindset. I'm visiting Indy tomorrow and it looks promising that I'll be heading there for law school, although I'd reconsider if I did end up getting into Pitt.

Thanks again!