Law School Discussion

Working During 2L Year

Working During 2L Year
« on: March 16, 2007, 10:43:03 AM »
For those of you who are older, what percentage of 2L's at your school have some sort of paying legal employment during the school year?  Is this fairly normal and/or is it easier to obtain this type of employment going to a school in the city? 

For the people that do work, is it mostly research assistant positions with professors or judicial externships?  What other options are there?  Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

Re: Working During 2L Year
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 12:09:25 PM »
I'm curious to know about this same subject.  I want to know if it is realistic to work approximately 20 hrs a week during 2L and 3L.  I'm trying to think of ways to mitigate some of the costs of attendance.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 12:22:36 PM »
I'm working at a small firm right now in my 1L summer and they want me to work during the school year too... Obviously I cant work full time during the school year, so I will just work as much as my schedule allows.  If it was up to the firm they would want me to come in full time but they know this can't happen.

I think this is common for busy small firms.  If you go to school in LA/NY/Chi there should be tons of small firms out there who need part time law clerks.  I am guessing you can work as much as your schedule allows, but if you are taking a full load of classes 2L, I doubt you can work more than 15-20 hrs a week max.

k2217

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 12:29:04 PM »
I'm curious to know about this same subject.  I want to know if it is realistic to work approximately 20 hrs a week during 2L and 3L.  I'm trying to think of ways to mitigate some of the costs of attendance.

I started out LS part time...so I could work 40 hours per week..so my 1L classes were split between two years.  However, during that second year I was allowed to take electives so I ended up taking a full load.  So I cut back my work hours to 20 per week that year.  It's definitely doable.  And actually really beneficial, because you are applying things you learn from class.  You get experience in the real world, so that you don't become completely absorbed in the land of law school.

I'd recommend it...especially since you won't even be taking those hard curved 1L courses while your working.  Just try to schedule the majority of your classes on the same days...I work M, W, and Fri and have most classes on T, Th and an evening class on M and W.  Trust me, you'll be fine.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 12:54:51 PM »
i just finished my 2L year, i worked the whole year, averaging like 18-19 hours a week of work and taking 15 credits both semesters, it takes time management, schedule your classes in bunches, i worked 2 days a week for like 5 or 6 hours (8-2), we didnt have class on friday and worked a full day, my grades actually went up too, just mark sure you dont take all hard classes, but my drinking time suffered considerably

LBJFan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 02:08:32 PM »
Yeah, I worked during 2L. Worked 2 jobs during 3L. (both were law/legal jobs)

It works out fine unless you're concentrating in something. If you are then there are certain classes you have to take and there's less flexibility with you're class selection. Last semester I had school T, W, Th from 3-6:30 (14 credits) so I was able to work full days on M & F and half days the rest of the week. I did all my homework on Saturday and hung out on Sunday.

It can work.

LBChic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 12:16:52 AM »
I worked with someone who was a 3L at a T3/4 in Houston - he worked ~20-25 hrs a week with us.

Of course, you could barely call what he did "work" - he was either studying or, more often, playing computer games. And this was on a major political campaign. No wonder we lost.