Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SCOTUS book  (Read 559 times)

luckyboy

• View Profile
SCOTUS book
« on: March 15, 2007, 04:04:32 PM »
anyone know/read/recommend any good books about the politicing of the supreme court, preferrably with an emphasis in the last 40 years opposed to new deal and before?

tobyfunke08

• View Profile
Re: SCOTUS book
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 01:49:06 PM »
Try Jan Crawford Greenburg's new book "Supreme Conflict: . . . ."  I'm about a quarter of the way into it and I'm enjoying it so far.  Up to this point, she has discussed the Reagan nominations that resulted in the elevation of O'Connor, Scalia, and Kennedy to the bench.  She then discusses how certain Justices are similar or different to what specific Presidents discussed.  From what I know, she seems to be quite legit; I found out about the book when my conlaw professor was discussing it for Greenburg's comments on the whimsical nature of Kennedy in his decision-making process.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 04:50:21 PM »
The new book by Rosen is really, really interesting about all the arguing that goes on in the deliberating chamber etc. Even though it was just about Justices, it read like it was a mystery novel or something. I can't remember the full name of it, it's Supreme Court . . . something, something. Sorry, it's St. Pat's Day and I'm wasted, but I'm sure that Rosen's book is the best Supreme Ct. book to come along in a long time.

Have a good time today and wear your green.

tumbler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 06:36:05 AM »
Closed Chambers,The rise,fall and future of the modern supreme court,by Edward Lazarus.He clerked for justice Blackmun

luckyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 12:41:26 PM »
thanks, just what I was looking for, now i just need summer to get here so i have time to read.