Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dean Sunni Drops The Ball and USNWR Ranking  (Read 8315 times)

pappahood

• View Profile
Dean Sunni Drops The Ball and USNWR Ranking
« on: March 13, 2007, 10:16:08 PM »
NEWS: Sunni recently, early reports have indicated, told students that neither she nor any of the other incompetents (well, i guess they prefer to be called "staff") filled out the USNWR and therefore students should brace themselves for a drop in the rankings.

Now, my disclaimer here is that I have received via a few independent sources, yet nothing is set in stone yet.  Moreover, even if they did forget to fill out the survey, USNWR might not drop them in the ranking.  Rather they may be omitted.  Either way, I'm tossing this out there for potential matriculates to discover BEFORE they, well, matriculate.

WHY WORRY? Because i got screwed by the same thing when i first attended.  UMKC was 99th on the law school rankings and I thought that being T100 was far better than 3rd Tier (somewhat true).  Yet, when I started there in the fall, UMKC had fallen off the table and was 3rd Tier.  Something to think about for all you ppl who have acceptance letters in your hands...

WHY DO YOU CARE
1) Because employers do.  Why the hell does anyone ever do law review? It sure isn't for the fun of cite checking and bluebooking now isn't it?

2) Its gonna sting for years to come.  When a school drops significanlty in the rankings, that hurts the next years applications and acts as a deterrent for both potential applicants and potential matriculates (i.e. ppl choosing b/w UMKC and other schools).  This all, in turn, will decrease selectivity and other factors that the USNWR looks at when ranking schools every year.  In other words, it can start a cyclical downward cycle that sucks the school permanently downward in the rankings and, most importantly, in employer's eyes.

3) It just simply reflects on the sheer incompetency of the administration running the school.  How difficult is it to fill out a survey?  Even more so when you realize that MANY STUDENTS BASE THEIR CHOICE OF SCHOOL ALMOST PRIMARILY ON THE USNWR RANKING OF THAT SCHOOL.  Thats not to say that school visits, atmosphere, and locale don't play a large role too.  But i'd posit that the largest factor is often the ranking.  I'd go to Univ. of MN over Univ. HI any day ...

4) There is no four.  I'm tired. 

As always, I'll leave myself open for any hatemail you want to bring.  Or any questions you may have about UMKC or law school in general.  This time, however, I'll be using umkcsucks@gmail.com for you to directly contact me. 

Laters.

saywhatagain07

• View Profile
Re: Dean Sunni Drops The Ball and USNWR Ranking
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 07:38:05 PM »
I realize that this was written a while ago, but I figured I would give my two cents on it anyway.

Being a sophomore at Mizzou and someone looking to practice in-state, I have given consideration to all of the law schools in the state of Missouri.  Its true that UMKC Law is the lowest on the totem pole when compared to SLU Law, Mizzou Law, and WashU Law.  But isn't it also true that the major law firms in both St. Louis and Kansas City look favorably upon a UMKC Law graduate as long as they performed well?

Now of course I realize that a UMKC Law graduate would probably find it hard to land a job out of the state, since it is a regional school.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Dean Sunni Drops The Ball and USNWR Ranking
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 11:52:26 PM »
I realize that this was written a while ago, but I figured I would give my two cents on it anyway.

Being a sophomore at Mizzou and someone looking to practice in-state, I have given consideration to all of the law schools in the state of Missouri.  Its true that UMKC Law is the lowest on the totem pole when compared to SLU Law, Mizzou Law, and WashU Law.  But isn't it also true that the major law firms in both St. Louis and Kansas City look favorably upon a UMKC Law graduate as long as they performed well?

Now of course I realize that a UMKC Law graduate would probably find it hard to land a job out of the state, since it is a regional school.

WUSTL ... IL(MO)/IA(MO)/MU(MO)/SLU(STL)/KU(KC) ... UMKC(KC) ... Washburn(KC)/SIU(STL)

Depending where you want to go those are the people you have to compete with.  What I read going into law school was that the better the school, the deeper into the class firms will reach to hire.  If you have a choice to go to KU or MU over UMKC, I think it's worth it to go to either over UMKC.  Large firms in Missouri probably only look at the top 15-20% at MU.