Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice Needed  (Read 4881 times)

attilathescott

• View Profile
    • Email
Advice Needed
« on: March 11, 2007, 02:18:13 PM »
Hey Guys/Gals,

My name is Josh.  I, and I know everybody else, is looking for advice when It comes to chances of admission and all of this other stuff.  As it stands now, I am drownling in a pool of applications and semi-guided thought.  So here are my stats, Im trying to get into University of Texas as a number 1 choice, number 2 I think will be Texas tech, not sure though. If anyone could tell me what I need to do to up my chances or what may hurt me, other than not having a 4.0 GPA. I really appreciate the advice, I need it!

Sex: Male

Race: White

Letters of Recommendation: 2 - each from 2 star Generals in the USAF

GPA:  3.65+, still thinking about retaking some course to up the GPA to a 3.7-3.8

LSAT:  Untaken, but in a rigid study program "cracking the LSAT"

Degrees Earned:
Bachelores of Business Marketing, electives being law and government (finish fall '07) Earned Abroad
Associates of Aircraft Maintenance Technology

Points of Interest and Past Work Experience:
Teaching English in Thailand for 1 year under ESL/TESOL Certification.
Fluent in Conversational Thai.
4 Years Military Service (Decorated/Deployment Experience/Dissabled Veteran/Honorable Discharge)
Under the Hazlewood act, for state funding of tuition

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 04:02:19 PM »
I take it you're from Texas and presently a Texas resident? If not, you'll have to demolish the LSAT, for starters. Otherwise, looks good for UT.

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 04:04:42 PM »
impressive resume, all you need is a strong LSAT :D

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 06:46:54 PM »
First, don't bother retaking a class unless your retake will completely replace the class on your transcript.  if the first grade still shows up at all, LSAC will still use it to calculate your gpa.

Second, don't waste your time with Kaplan or whatever company it is that does Cracking the LSAT.  Go with the Powerscore Bibles if you plan to self-study, along with doing real LSATs.

Third, head over to the pre-law side of the board, they'll have much more info re: what the current admission season is shaping up to look like, as well as help studying for the LSAT and putting together your application.

attilathescott

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 05:59:13 PM »
Yes, I am a Texas state resident.  I know I still need to "demolish" the LSAT still though as my GPA is a tad lower than the top eschelon of acedamia.  Thanks for the advice on retaking courses, I'll look into it.

One more thing though, are there such things as 0L law student summer/year jobs?  Ive got a good year to work with and I need a menial job as it stands now, so my thoughts were to go ahead and start getting a "leg up" on the competition and have a job so that I can survive the "in-between time until law school starts." 

Sorry to bug you guys, but the people in the pre-law side, are incredibly disorganized, plus you guys/gals have the experience.  The pre law is like talking to highschool grads just after the SAT, argh!

thanks alot guys,

josh

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 06:15:10 PM »

One more thing though, are there such things as 0L law student summer/year jobs? 

If you are a 0L you aren't a law student... so no there is no such thing as a 0L "Law Student" job.  The only use a firm would have for you is to refill coffee, take lawyers' laundry to the cleaners, etc. - and they can hire high school dropouts to do that.  You need to know at least something about the law to have a law student job.
pudding is delightful

margee

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 06:20:12 PM »
First, your GPA is fine, don't sweat it.  I had a 3.5 and got in with a scholarship.

Second, and I can't say this loudly or often enough,
ACTUAL LSATs

I promise, they're worth it.

Third, there's no such thing as a "leg up" on law school.  Perhaps you meant you'd like a "leg up" on jobs, in which case doing menial work at a law firm or DAs office might pay off in contacts (but only in contacts).  In terms of your resume, though, most non-career jobs seems to be relatively equal (assuming it's not Dairy Queen).  Employers seem to assume they're going to have to teach you everything no matter what job you've had before.  Correct me if I'm wrong everyone.  According to the CSO, though, employers like to see client contact, responsibility, and writing on your resume. 

If you're going to "work on" something, I'd work on your writing.  Seriously. 
Other than that, I'd do something as fun and interesting as possible before LS.  Boring and tedious is NOT the way to lead up to LS.  Trust me.

attilathescott

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 12:20:37 PM »
The "Leg Up" was just for knowledge, not for the actuall admittance to college.  Thanks a lot for the advice though.  I like the idea of doing what I want, considering I will be in a career stance pretty much right after 1L from what I understand.  Great idea on the writing skills also, it seems to be an extrordinarily important skill all around.  Plus I would be able to rack up more money from being a waitor or something rather than "emptying trash cans" as we have heard from previous quotes.     

Orange Soda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 12:07:59 AM »
Actually, working for a law firm is a great way to get a job at a law firm. 

And some people get a leg-up on law school.  Some spend their time making noise about how dreary law school is.  If you really want to be a lawyer, it should be a pleasure to pick up some Examples & Explanations for each of the 1L classes.  You'll need most of them anyway, so it's a no-lose investment.   Just to browse through, and if you're inclined, to study ahead with.  You won't understand everything, but you'll be surprised just how much of this stuff is self-taught. 

Law school is absolutely crammed full of people who hate law school.  If you cannot stand reading this material, or if you eventually find law school so bad that you can't touch law books when you are between semesters, try something else and have fun with it!

But if you really want that leg-up, it's important to note that most law-classes are taught in arbitrary order though everything interrelates.  Knowing the basics of a class before the professor ever enters the room will save you a lot of hassle.  This is unconventional advice, but I had an easy time my first year thanks to this idea.  Also, do whatever you can to obtain outlines for your professors once class begins.  Get them early and edit them throughout the year.

Oh, and consider Houston.  It's right up there with SMU and light-years ahead of Baylor academically (not trying to be provocative here).  You get any VA benefits you'd get at Tech, so why go to the lesser school?  Houston is a terrific town to start working in.

Thanks for your service, btw.