Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are good classes to take as a 2L and what classes to avoid until 3L  (Read 1949 times)

TheBlake

• View Profile
Besides Con Law, Evidence, and Criminal Procedure, does anyone have any other suggestions of core law classes that I should consider as a 2L that will benefit me throughout the remainder of my law school career?

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Take more difficult but important classes like Wills and Trusts, Tax, any upper level legal writing courses that may be required, etc. Save interesting classes that you will enjoy for your 3d year.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
Don't waste your time on Crim Pro unless you want to go into criminal law. Just take the Barbri classes.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Remedies and Commercial Paper/Transactions are generally pretty easy classes.  Same with anything negotiations-oriented.  HTH.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

John Galt

• View Profile
Any tax and secured transactions classes are good to take 2L but not 3L. If you take secured 2L, Bankruptcy wll be easier 3L. Sales covers a lot of the same stuff covered in contracts, assuming you had a UCC heavy contracts class, so thats nice 3L.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Take more difficult but important classes like Wills and Trusts, Tax, any upper level legal writing courses that may be required, etc. Save interesting classes that you will enjoy for your 3d year.

One could also argue that taking classes you will get the best grades in will benefit you more early on than as a 3L. I have two friends that got pwn3d during OCI this fall but after cleaning up on first semester grades clinched Chicago BigLaw SA positions. Obviously that is not going to apply to everyone, just some perspective.
Better 2L grades will also help more if you have to OCI as a 3L.

Obviously, easier classes does not always equal better grades. My A in a horrendous evidence class yet a B in my cake-walk of a professional responsibility speak volumes on that issue.

As an aside, I disagree with the Crim Pro comment. I think it is a very useful and interesting class (it's just a Con Law class exclusive to the 4th-5th-8th amendments) and one that can come in handy if you or your friends ever have a brush with the law.

I agree with the comments regarding getting your basic commercial law courses in before you venture into the more advanced classes.
Air Force JAG Corps