Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bad employer reputation?  (Read 880 times)

SpaghettiOs

• View Profile
Bad employer reputation?
« on: March 09, 2007, 11:24:44 AM »
I got a job last week.  At first I was thrilled just to have a job, but I am starting to think that I might be better off doing an externship or taking classes.  The attorney told me flat out that he required 65-70 hours per week this summer (but I do get a week of vacation).  I will be making 11.50 an hour.  That's not that bad in itself (it definitely sucks though), but the attorney has a hardcore, shameless ambulance chaser reputation in the community.  He has been sanctioned several times for this. I know I am going to get a ton of experience, but the thought of doing this kind of work churns my stomach.  My greatest fear right now is that this is more than just a summer job, and more like rabbit hole.  I had a terrible dream last night that I was filming one of those awful lawyer commercials where I had to bark and act like I was a plaintiff's attack dog.  It was awful. Am I about to step foot on a slippery slope over here, or is this really just a summer job?

TNlawman25

• View Profile
Re: Bad employer reputation?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 11:58:45 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the guys rep necessarily affecting your rep. However, it wouldn't be worth it to me to do a job I despise (and get paid crap) for some experience. Just my take.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 02:02:22 PM »
You can get more experience, doing a job you enjoy, and have a more relaxing summer doing something else, even if that something is part-time or unpaid.

Expecting a 1L summer intern to work 65-70 hours a week is *&^%.

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 12:22:06 AM »
Sounds like a feminine hygiene product, I would rather work someplace respectable part-time for free.

Buddy Holly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 09:39:10 PM »
I got a job last week.  At first I was thrilled just to have a job, but I am starting to think that I might be better off doing an externship or taking classes.  The attorney told me flat out that he required 65-70 hours per week this summer (but I do get a week of vacation).  I will be making 11.50 an hour.  That's not that bad in itself (it definitely sucks though), but the attorney has a hardcore, shameless ambulance chaser reputation in the community.  He has been sanctioned several times for this. I know I am going to get a ton of experience, but the thought of doing this kind of work churns my stomach.  My greatest fear right now is that this is more than just a summer job, and more like rabbit hole.  I had a terrible dream last night that I was filming one of those awful lawyer commercials where I had to bark and act like I was a plaintiff's attack dog.  It was awful. Am I about to step foot on a slippery slope over here, or is this really just a summer job?

That is HELL! I am working 9-5 MAX at my firm this summer with about an hourish lunch break in between (free lunch with partners and associates every day). After 5 on some days they have cocktail receptions and other events to impress the summers.

My pay? About $3000 a week. No offense, but your job sounds awful. You should just do something for free.