How can I improve 1L spring grades?

How can I improve 1L spring grades?
« on: March 08, 2007, 02:12:45 PM »
My 1L fall grades:

Contracts: A-

Torts: A-

Con Law: A-

Civ Pro: B+

I have Crim, Prop, Con Law, and Civ Pro this semester.

How can I boost my exam performance this semester? More practice exams? Talk to professors regarding my fall exams? Study more?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, doods.

Ronald Hyatt

• Hedgehog
    • View Profile
Re: How can I improve 1L spring grades?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 02:33:43 PM »
Since you couldn't possibly be asking this question for real, I will just assume that you are fulfilling a subconscious need to brag and/or receive some praise, even if it is to anonymous idiots on a message board. It would probably be more effective, however, if you just called your mom. She is certainly more qualified to tell you how special you are.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 04:38:58 PM »
I was being serious. 

What is the difference between an A- and an A?  Sheer luck?  Being particularly brilliant that day?  Or is it something that I can actually try to implement as I prepare for my exams? 

Sorry if I came off the wrong way, but I would still appreciate any suggestions that people may have in this regard. 

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 06:56:36 PM »
Butters,

I would start by going to each of your professors and asking them this question.  The best advice I can give you is to IRAC.  Have you learned this yet at your school?

Issue - spot the issue

Rule- State the rule

Analysis- Provide strong analysis

Conclusion - write your conclusion

Don't worry if this is confusing now.  It will get easier after you practice some.  Another idea is to take practice exams and make course outlines.  However, your grades are pretty strong and suggest that you probably don't need to alter your study habits significantly.  [maybe you can offer me some advice;)]  I think if you just practice IRAC, you probably will see some results when grades come in. 

Good luck!!!

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 07:06:54 PM »
This is a joke right? I mean if you're serious...then...WOW...and ppl wonder why law school is so cut throat.

Ronald Hyatt

• Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 07:37:08 PM »
OP, settle down. You did as good any anyone could HOPE to do. You will definitely place in the top 5% of your class with those grades unless your school has an A- centered curve. Keep doing whatever you did.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 08:22:01 PM »
Kill self.  Alternatively, pose this quandary to one of your classmates and have him/her do the job for you.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 11:04:25 PM »
Going to office hours is definitely the key!

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 07:10:20 AM »
I was being serious. 

What is the difference between an A- and an A?  Sheer luck?  Being particularly brilliant that day?  Or is it something that I can actually try to implement as I prepare for my exams? 

Sorry if I came off the wrong way, but I would still appreciate any suggestions that people may have in this regard. 

I think it's essentially sheer luck... I walked away with nearly identical grades to your own (three A- grades, one B) and then took a short course. Turns out that in the short course, which was with the same professor who gave me a B, I walked away with a straight up A... my exam answers look mostly the same to me ;)

GA-fan

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 07:13:19 AM »
Butters,

I would start by going to each of your professors and asking them this question.  The best advice I can give you is to IRAC.  Have you learned this yet at your school?

Issue - spot the issue

Rule- State the rule

Analysis- Provide strong analysis

Conclusion - write your conclusion

Don't worry if this is confusing now.  It will get easier after you practice some.  Another idea is to take practice exams and make course outlines.  However, your grades are pretty strong and suggest that you probably don't need to alter your study habits significantly.  [maybe you can offer me some advice;)]  I think if you just practice IRAC, you probably will see some results when grades come in. 

Good luck!!!

I'm sorry- are you in law school? Anyone who is at ANY school has heard this advice 25 times. Someone who gets A-'s doesn't need to know how to IRAC, because they clearly "get" the material. I'd suggest reading "Getting to Maybe" which is the only advice book I've seen that really shows you how to stand out from your peers on an exam. Most of the rest of the advice will get you to the median of your school's curve, basically because you're only getting the same advice that everyone else is getting (and how do you think that would make you stand out from the crowd?).

Or just realize that your current grades are good enough to get you most of the place you'd want to be (unless you want to clerk for SCOTUS) and move on.