Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are there Law School Dissertations where you can go to other countries?  (Read 794 times)

rakovsky

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello, in grad school for a Phd you have to write a doctoral thesis.

For Law school to get a JD do you have to write a big report too or a dissertation? Can you if you want to?

I know for some doctoral theses you can go to other countries. For example, an Economics Phd could compare France's economy to the United States economy. Is there anything like that for Law Students?

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
No you don;t have to write a big report or a dissertation.  You can take classes were you can submit a paper as a final instead of an inclass exam.  And I know that there are comparative law classes that allow you to compare different legal systems.   

shimra

• View Profile
    • Email

For Law school to get a JD do you have to write a big report too or a dissertation? Can you if you want to?

I know for some doctoral theses you can go to other countries. For example, an Economics Phd could compare France's economy to the United States economy. Is there anything like that for Law Students?

You can usually study abroad for a semester, but you take classes while doing so.

At my school there is something, completly optional, called "guided research" where you are supervised by a faculty member as you write a paper for three credits or so, but its not as long as a thesis.  You can also get involved in a journal or law review where you'd write a student note or comment of about 40 pages, but you're not expected to do research other than reading books and articles and such.  You summarize an area of law and form an opinion about it, and you can do comparative topics.  Journal notes and comments are about 40 pages in length. 

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Some lawschools do require a paper in order to graduate. (outside of extracurricular Journal requirements) Mine requires an upper-level writing requirement (this is on top of the first year legal writing briefs and memos), but it only has to be 25 pages. However, this paper can satisfy your law review/journal requirement. Also, you can either do this with a paper class or an Directed individual study (where you work with a faculty advisor).

But it looks like from the other responses that not all schools require this.

Also, I doubt you could get to go to another country to fullfill this paper requirement, as it is generally only worth 3 or 4 credit hours.

Finally, our journal notes and comments only have to be 25 pages. (but they can be longer)

shimra

• View Profile
    • Email
Finally, our journal notes and comments only have to be 25 pages. (but they can be longer)

Huh, I wonder why my school required approximately 40 pages.  It was certainly a large amount of work for the 2 credits I received.