Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Fordham Law worth 180k in debt?  (Read 2754 times)

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
Re: Is Fordham Law worth 180k in debt?
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 10:15:42 PM »
Go to UGA, they have a very dedicated alumni network and a strong reputation throughout the Southeast. Also, Athens is a great college town, and you would get to experience all the glory that is SEC football. Only go to Fordham if you're absolutely positive that you want to be in NYC for a few years.

Bob D

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 10:49:54 AM »
I assume UGA is the University of Georgia?

If you want to work in NYC then don't go to UGA.

If you were asking if you should go to Columbia or NYU then I'd say yes, load up on the debt.

Are you even allowed to borrown $180K? I suppose that $40K tuition plus $20K living expenses does add up to $180K over three years. Ouch.

I think that having well off parents really helps when pursuing a career in the law.

crw23

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 11:43:45 AM »
If you want to practice law in NY I would go with Fordham. It has a great rep in NY. Though it would be harder to get a BIGLAW job out of the bottom half of the class, if you work hard for a mid-size firm you could always lateral. I would try to find out what the bottom half of the class does and makes. There may be opportunities in mid-sized firms or the legal services division of investment firms that pay less then BIGLAW but significantly more than the jobs someone in the bottom half of their class at UGA would make. Also factor in the cost of living which would be much higher in NY.  And from what I remember about applying to Fordham is that it does have some public interest loan forgiveness and a loan program that is more favorable than outside loan. But if you don't want to practice in NY then go to UGA.

Consideration

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 12:28:16 PM »
Hell no.