Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Legal-related (volunteer or otherwise) work in 0L summer?  (Read 353 times)

anothergirl

• View Profile
Legal-related (volunteer or otherwise) work in 0L summer?
« on: March 05, 2007, 12:09:31 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has ideas about this. I don't want to spend this summer studying, but I'd like to get some familiarity with the legal profession in some way. I'm changing careers from a very non-law related profession, so I have no legal experience at all, but good general administrative experience.

After talking to lawyers I know, it seems that the worst thing to do would be start studying law books on my own with no context! They've all said, "Relax and take a vacation", which I'm doing in May. But then...the summer awaits. My previous career was all on a contract basis and I'm done with my last one, and now I'd rathar try to do something law-related to transition to law school.

I don't think I have the right skills at the moment to get a job as a paralegal or anything like that, especially since I'm just looking for the summer and anything I do will end or be lessened dramatically when school starts. I'd just like to do something where I am in the environment, even if I'm just helping with clerical tasks, so I can experience some of the day-to-day routine. I don't care if it is a firm or public interest group or what. My law interests right now are varied, so I'd be open to pretty much anything.

I know there are plenty of non-law volunteer opportunities, but did anyone here do something legal-related in their 0L summer that someone with no previous exp could do?

Thanks!
Center Orchestra (attending):
First Tier (accepted):Rutgers-Camden-$, Widener, Drexel-$$$, U. San Francisco, Temple, Villanova, Santa Clara-$$
In the Ticket Line (wait-listed):
Sold Out! (rejected):

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=anothergirl

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
Re: Legal-related (volunteer or otherwise) work in 0L summer?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 02:31:02 PM »
What city are you in now? I might be able to point you in the right direction.

I volunteered doing intake at a legal aid clinic, and it really improved my perspective on law school. More importantly, it gave me something positive about my character and law related to put on my resume. It also gave me something to talk about in my 1L summer job interviews. I highly suggest doing something like volunteering at a legal clinic.

anothergirl

• View Profile
Re: Legal-related (volunteer or otherwise) work in 0L summer?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 02:44:07 PM »
I'm in the Philadelphia area.

Thanks for the suggestion...I had thought of that but was unsure if you'd need to at least have done 1L to be of use.
Center Orchestra (attending):
First Tier (accepted):Rutgers-Camden-$, Widener, Drexel-$$$, U. San Francisco, Temple, Villanova, Santa Clara-$$
In the Ticket Line (wait-listed):
Sold Out! (rejected):

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=anothergirl

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile