Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Laptop Notebook for Law School?  (Read 1317 times)

Consideration

• View Profile
Best Laptop Notebook for Law School?
« on: March 02, 2007, 11:31:05 AM »
Please include price, why, and where you bought or intend to buy it? Also the weight of the laptop.

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Best Laptop Notebook for Law School?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 11:38:14 AM »
there is no best really.  I would suggest this though
1) Light weight
2) As much RAM as you can possibly afford
3) Best warranty plan you can afford
4) Don't get a dell... they suck and their customer service is lacking at best

holler21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 07:46:24 PM »
I am pretty happy with my Toshiba. 

If you're thinking Mac (everyone who has one loves it), make sure that your schools exam taking software is compatible with Macs. 

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 11:25:08 AM »
I don't know a lot about the compatability of macs v. pc, but if you plan on using you laptop professionally after school, almost all law firms use PCs from what I've heard and seen.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 01:43:27 PM »
Find out if your school uses a program called "SofTest" for exams, if it does, don't buy a Mac (they're not compatible as far as I know).  I recommend an IBM/lenovo laptop, get a lot of RAM, a 3-year warranty (preferably the one where they come out to you to fix it), and a back-up hard drive.  It sounds paranoid, but every year a friend of mine either loses everything or would lose everything if they didn't have it all backed up.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 01:44:58 PM »
1) Light weight

I agree with this post except for the Dell comments.  A lot of people hate on Dell, but mine has been great and the one problem I did have (I spilled water on it) was fixed by Dell within a week.  Under the warranty I had they weren't even required to fix it, but did anyway.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 01:48:02 PM »
1) Light weight

I agree with this post except for the Dell comments.  A lot of people hate on Dell, but mine has been great and the one problem I did have (I spilled water on it) was fixed by Dell within a week.  Under the warranty I had they weren't even required to fix it, but did anyway.

I had two friends whose little silver Dells (whatever the model # is) caught on fire within the same quarter.  Literally on fire.  Like, one girl had to buy a new coffee table ... and these weren't the ones with recalled batteries.  Another friend had her Dell's (same model) "S" key go out, when she called customer support they took her through a series of steps that made her entire computer crash ... two weeks before finals.  Every time I see someone on the phone with Dell customer support they look like they're going to tear their hair out (and I see it a lot).
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

Bob D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 10:14:55 AM »
I don't think this is something you should spend too much time worrying about. It's not like your going to school to learn computer programming.

Go to Best Buy and buy whatever notebook computer you would like to be carrying around. I would go for something as light as possible.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 02:56:22 PM »
Yeah, you won't worry about it till it crashes the night before finals.  Don't go to Best Buy, build an IBM on their website www.ibm.com and get a three year warranty.  You don't need an insane graphics card, a 150 gig hard drive, or a mega-fast processor, but you'll need a lot of RAM and a large enough hard drive that you won't risk maxing it out (that was my mistake; my hard drive is tiny).

meestameesta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 03:45:53 PM »
I purchased a Sony Vaio VGN SZ120.  It has a great balance of portability (4lbs.) and power (2 gigs of RAM, Intel Core Duo processor, Vid Card with 128mb of dedicated RAM).  The two main negatives is the price and that in order to achieve the 4lbs., it is quite fragile.  That being said, it has a built in camera, and more impoprtantly a built in mic, which integrates well with MS One Note.  With this I am able to record my lectures and they sync up with the key strokes.  When I am unable to keep up in class or unclear on notes I have taken, I click on them and am able to listen to that part of the lecture again...this has proven to be extremely valuable.  This is the machine I would recommend if you are willing to spend the money.

Dell's have sucked for awhile but Dell has recognized that their customer service and overall quality was becoming a bigproblem.  They have indicated that they are going to go strenghten these weaknesses and so you may not want to write them off yet...just
something I have heard.

SMU uses exam software that is not Mac compatible. I would think long and hard before buying a Mac for law school.
yeehaw Dallas