Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Best Cell Phone Company in NYC / surrounding area?

Verizon
 4 (66.7%)
T-Mobile
 1 (16.7%)
U.S. Cellular
 0 (0%)
Unicel
 0 (0%)
Cingular
 1 (16.7%)
Sprint
 0 (0%)
Nextel
 0 (0%)
Other
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 26, 2004, 11:43:28 AM

Author Topic: Best School to Attend - Need some info from the Veterans here!!!  (Read 2753 times)

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
Re: Best School to Attend - Need some info from the Veterans here!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 12:10:29 AM »
Can you possibly be this obtuse? What I can't figure out is why you would ask for advice when you seem to already have everything figured out. I didn't realize a 0L had all the answers. Unlike you, I have actually attended a T2, and I have seen firsthand the regional job prospects. One last empirical shot across the bow, and I am officially ducking out to let you make your own mistakes.

|  Denver  |  Seton Hall  |  Nova SE  |  St. Thomas
New England:         |    1 %   |      2 %     |      -    |    1.9 %
Middle Atlantic:     |    1 %   |     87 %     |   2.44 %  |    2.8 %
East North Central:  |    2 %   |      2 %     |   0.48 %  |    1.5 %
West North Central:  |    3 %   |      -       |     -     |      -
South Atlantic:      |    5 %   |      4 %     |  95.12 %  |   98.5 %
East South Central:  |    1 %   |      -       |   0.98 %  |      -
West South Central:  |    2 %   |      1 %     |     -     |      -
Mountain:            |   81 %   |      1 %     |   0.98 %  |      -
Pacific:             |    3 %   |      1 %     |     -     |      -
Non-US:              |    1 %   |      -       |     -     |      -

(compiled from: http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/)
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 12:56:43 AM »
You can show me all the data you want but you spin remarks to suite yourself and to avoid the statements.  Or maybe your not avoiding them, your just not getting it?  Here it goes in lamens terms: Obviously more students will place in south Florida coming from Saint Thomas or Nova than Seton Hall or University of Denver.  This will be true based solely on the geographic area.  It makes sense that going to school in south Florida, the law school students will stay in south Florida post graudation and enter the job market.  Now here is the kicker, listen up.  But there are some, few, yet some, students like myself who will come back to Florida from the University of Denver or Seton Hall or St. Johns or Indiana U.  Believe it or not, after graduation one has the choice to practice wherever he or she has that said desire.  Those of us who do come back from these far distant schools, will be much more highly recruited in the job market and hired before a graduate from Nova or St. Thomas.  ;D

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 01:00:36 AM »
I couldn't disagree with you any more.  I didn't realize a 2L had all the answers.  Like I said in many posts before, I don't plan on transferring - it was just an idea and a REAL option, not a dream.  That is why I would attend University of Denver or Seton Hall before Florida Coastal.  Do you not think I have friends who are attending or have attended law school?  Maybe you have a bleak outlook on the job market.  I have many friends who came out of FSU and UF and even Nova who are definitely not scrapping for jobs...lol..I just think a T2 school would place better - thats all.  I am just tired of the "T1 know it alls" on this board who offer to give a real dose of reality in their pessimistic view; which in reality all it is a skewed perception of life.  There are some on this board who tell it like it is and also offer a positive view.  Thanks to those.  But to the rest of you guys - you are the reason their are paranoid 1L students and the wave of bs rumors and false propoganda that circulates like cow droppings.  It stinks and no one wants to be around it.  And if the future outlook is that bad, maybe you should decide on a career change.
PS - This was typed after an evening of drinking...so I apologize in advance for the whirlwind this may cause:)

oh boy.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 07:58:40 AM »
You can show me all the data you want but you spin remarks to suite yourself and to avoid the statements.  Or maybe your not avoiding them, your just not getting it?  Here it goes in lamens terms: Obviously more students will place in south Florida coming from Saint Thomas or Nova than Seton Hall or University of Denver.  This will be true based solely on the geographic area.  It makes sense that going to school in south Florida, the law school students will stay in south Florida post graudation and enter the job market.  Now here is the kicker, listen up.  But there are some, few, yet some, students like myself who will come back to Florida from the University of Denver or Seton Hall or St. Johns or Indiana U.  Believe it or not, after graduation one has the choice to practice wherever he or she has that said desire.  Those of us who do come back from these far distant schools, will be much more highly recruited in the job market and hired before a graduate from Nova or St. Thomas.  ;D

What the hell is the point of asking for people's advice, which has been *very* sound, by the way, when all you're going to say is, "That's nice, but you're not agreeing with the way I think, so I'm not listening. LALALALALA!"

Schools outside probably the T25 are REGIONAL.  Let me say that again:  REGIONAL.  Additionally, schools that are already saturated because numerous law schools in the market are even MORE REGIONAL.  Boston is like this; with 6 schools in the area, plus a few in surrounding states, the only way you're getting a job in Boston is if you have ties to the city, you network you ass off and people love you, or you're at the top of your class.

The same will carry over for Florida, with a ton of schools and many more in surrounding states.  And take into account that the lower down you go in the tier, the fewer opportunities you'll have to travel from where you're at.

Can you get a job from Colorado or Seton Hall in Florida?  Maybe.  If you do well, or have serious ties to the area and are willing to start networking immediately.  Even then you're facing an uphill battle. 

(Before you tell me I'm full of it, and just trying to make you feel bad, let me tell you a story.  I have a friend from GA.  He went into the highest ranked school he got into, which was a school in a very cold, midwestern/plains state (I think it's a T3).  He plans on coming back to GA after he graduates this spring.  He's only gotten only a few interviews, most employers say they're not interested until after he takes the bar.  He's a great guy, and he has tons of contacts and family in GA and knows a lot of lawyers, but the school is utterly unknown here and employers just don't care.  So connection, ties and networking will only go so far).

From John Marshall?  An even bigger maybe, and probably not until you pass the bar.  This is simply because it is T4, such a new school, with little to no reputation outside of GA (and probably even more limited to the Atl area).

Is this what you want to hear?  No, it's not.  But plugging your ears and humming until you get the answer you want is juvenile.  Stop asking for advice if you won't at least consider it.

roygbiv

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 11:07:38 AM »
First, I agree with everything Ron and GA said. It is not impossible to come back after going to SH or UD but it will be an uphill battle. And I also don't know why you're so belligerent since you are the one who started the thread. But that's a different story.

Let me give you a first hand account to help illustrate. My friend left his area to go to school across the country and accept a full-ride at a Tier 3. The intention was that if he did well he'd move back home or at the very least stay put as placement is pretty good in the town. He is now top 10% and law review and is unable to move back home. He got very few interviews and no call backs. She always got the question "if you wanted to live here so bad, why did you not go to a local school?" or "I don't know anything about your school, why'd you go there?" Meanwhile his friends at local schools who did not do as well got those jobs.

And what makes it worse is that getting a job in town was tough too. The local employers were weary that he'd bolt after a year or two and try to leverage her experience back home.

Bottom line is if that since he went to a highly regional school across the country, he got shut out of the choice jobs as a 2L. Employers don't really pay attention to the rankings that low, especially for schools across the country. If he were to move back there after graduation I'm sure eventually he'd get picked up somewhere but it certainly wouldn't be a primo gig since most of those spots are filled through summer associate programs.

So yes, you will be able to get a job if you move back. But understand that rankings at that level don't matter nearly as much as you think and you -will- most likely be at a disadvantage to graduates of the local school(s).

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2007, 11:30:50 AM »
On the positive side. OP's utter disdain for "truth" or "facts" and mastery of denial make him a perfect candidate for a political job. I would suggest starting at the EPA, DoE, or the DoD. I wonder what Rummy's doing now... maybe he could use an intern?
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2007, 11:57:19 AM »
Damn... I know I said I was out of this... and I hate myself for going back on my word... I just wanted to post this excerpt from LSC:

click the thumbnail

roygbiv

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2007, 12:13:51 PM »
I never read the book but I can confirm first hand that it is true. 

I began at a Tier 3 school far away from home. I was living in that city at the time and felt comfortable practicing there. Just to test the waters, I sent a bunch of resumes out to back home for 1L summer. This is a secondary market that takes lots of 1L summers. I didn't get one interview.

I transferred to a top 20 school and got offers both at home and my old city where I started law school where I am splitting. And guess what, my summer associate class is virtually either local students or students that go to good schools who want to come back home.

d**mn... I know I said I was out of this... and I hate myself for going back on my word... I just wanted to post this excerpt from LSC:

click the thumbnail

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 12:38:47 PM »
I'd say you win.  ;)

d**mn... I know I said I was out of this... and I hate myself for going back on my word... I just wanted to post this excerpt from LSC:

click the thumbnail

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 04:07:04 PM »
Nova is not difficult to get admitted and has a fantastic south florida reputation