Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Best Cell Phone Company in NYC / surrounding area?

Verizon
 4 (66.7%)
T-Mobile
 1 (16.7%)
U.S. Cellular
 0 (0%)
Unicel
 0 (0%)
Cingular
 1 (16.7%)
Sprint
 0 (0%)
Nextel
 0 (0%)
Other
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 26, 2004, 11:43:28 AM

Author Topic: Best School to Attend - Need some info from the Veterans here!!!  (Read 2725 times)

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
Re: Best School to Attend - Need some info from the Veterans here!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 01:57:41 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot to add one thing about Ole Miss. They're known for their attractive ladies, not just the SEC football tailgate parties. If you're a single guy, they have the most good lookin' girls that I have seen on any college campus, even more than my alma mater Alabama, AND law school students are the academic bigshots on that campus, if you know what I'm saying.

Even your 1L year shouldn't be all work. I played a lot, took most of my weekends off, and did just fine. You'll go crazy if you don't let loose every once and a while.

Try to visit the campuses before making your decision, it's a lot of money to pay for some place that you won't be happy.

ALSO, on Ole Miss, you may want to check and see if you can apply for in-state tuition after your 1L/living there a year. Some states will let you do this in grad school. It would save you a bundle.

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 02:30:28 PM »
Good deal:)  I will check into asap. ha

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 02:43:58 PM »
A zero chance of getting a job from John Marshall in ATL if I want to work in Florida?  I seriously doubt that.

Doubt all you want. You asked for advice. My advice is that most law schools are regional. The further down their ranking the more regional they are. Go ask this question on the pre-law board, you will get the same advice. Think about all the law schools in southern Florida that employers down there are used to recruiting and hiring from. Why would they take a chance and hire you from some unknown school in Atlanta?

Technically speaking you have a 4.3% chance of working out of state (see below), not necessarily in southern Florida. Those two people could be working in Birmingham, Greenville, or Tallahassee.

-----
http://www.johnmarshall.edu/students/career.php (2 out of 46 employed out of state)
-----

...and I still don't understand why you applied to all those regional schools all over the country when you want to work in south Florida.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 07:36:21 PM »
Oh Ron how you manipulate the numbers and don't tell the whole story.  I applied to all of the afore menioned schools. These are the ones I have been accepted to.  I do agree with some of your statements though.  Ideally I will be in the top 20% of my 1L class and transfer to University of Miami, UF, or maybe FSU.  I do not argue that those are the prime schools for employment in Florida.  As for a 4.3% chance of working outside of Georgia, that is just not the case.  The reason that is the current stat is because John Marshall recently received their ABA approval.  Before this recent implementation change, all graduates HAD to work in the state of Georgia.  This is not the case anymore.  So I definitely would not say their is a zero, or now 4.3%, chance of getting hired out of the state of Georgia.  Not to mention, it is all relative.  I hear all this T4 bashing....but how about the thousands of students who attend non-ABA schools?  I bet they would love to be in a T3 or T4 ABA law school.  Just as those lower tier students want to move up to T2 or T1.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 07:53:48 PM »
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come off like I was "T4 bashing." I will continue to stand by my statement, though.

Most law schools--pretty much every law school outside of ~T25--is regional, and the further down the ranking you get, the more regional it is.

What part of this do you not understand? Why do you insist on disagreeing with me? No reasonable law student would disagree with this reality. It is just the way it is. I didn't set up the system this way. I thought I would do you the favor of letting you know.

If you go to school in Atlanta, the odds are that you will have to work in or near Atlanta. Are there exceptions? Sure. Would I tell you the same thing if you were going to a T2 in Denver? Yes. It is just the way the system works. No bashing intended.

I apologize profusely for trying to give you advice so you can make an informed decision. Since you seem dead set on wearing blinders to reality, I will let you go on thinking that you will be happily working in Miami after you graduate from law school Denver, Newark, Indianapolis, Atlanta, or Little Rock. Just don't come back here complaining in four years because I won't be here anymore to tell you "I told you so."
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 08:01:50 PM »
Ha, sounds good.  We are allowed to disagree.  I would think south Florida employers would be more open to hiring a University of Denver grad or Seton Hall grad or Loyola grad than a Florida A&M grad or Florida Coastal grad.  I don't think you understand that I have applied to those schools (UF, Miami, FSU) and did not get in.  Those are the prime schools.  Hopefully I can trasnfer in.  But I don't see any reason to just give up on south Florida employment becuase I go to a T2 outside the specific region of south Florida.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 08:12:03 PM »
I understand that you didn't get into, UF, FSU or UM, but did you get rejected from Nova Southeastern and St Thomas too? Either of those would have been better choices if you want to work in So Florida.

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 08:52:59 PM »
I disagree that Nova or St Thomas would be a better choice than University of Denver or Seton Hall - even if I plan to work in South Florida.  Like I said, my main goal is to hopefully transfer into Miami, but if I can't I think I would have better credentials coming out of University of Denver or Seton Hall than mill shop Nova or STU.  But then again this is all arbitrary, for each person or employer you will get a different response.  Most will agree that Miami, FSU, and UF place very well in Florida - the best.  But if you asked employers if they would rather hire a grad from Seton Hall or St. John's or Denver as compared to Nova or St. Thomas..... I would bet you would get mixed responses.

GA-fan

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 09:58:04 PM »
Some people will never learn. The OP needs a reality check. If you want to work in S.FL., go to a top 14 school, or a school in S FL. Even UF or FSU won't guarantee you end up in this area.
Don't plan on transferring. Plan on being at the median at whatever school you go to, to think any higher is a dream or a goal, but not a certainty. Even the median at UF and Miami are scraping to get jobs at graduation, and many below that have to take the bar before they get an offer. Imagine where the lower-ranked schools put you. This isn't to scare you, just to give you a healthy dose of reality, which will set in pretty clearly about half-way through 2L when you're job hunting.
If you really want to be a lawyer, does it matter where you practice for the first 5 years? If it doesn't matter, then go to the best school you get into, so you'll actually get a chance to be a lawyer when your graduate.

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 11:46:02 PM »
I couldn't disagree with you any more.  I didn't realize a 2L had all the answers.  Like I said in many posts before, I don't plan on transferring - it was just an idea and a REAL option, not a dream.  That is why I would attend University of Denver or Seton Hall before Florida Coastal.  Do you not think I have friends who are attending or have attended law school?  Maybe you have a bleak outlook on the job market.  I have many friends who came out of FSU and UF and even Nova who are definitely not scrapping for jobs...lol..I just think a T2 school would place better - thats all.  I am just tired of the "T1 know it alls" on this board who offer to give a real dose of reality in their pessimistic view; which in reality all it is a skewed perception of life.  There are some on this board who tell it like it is and also offer a positive view.  Thanks to those.  But to the rest of you guys - you are the reason their are paranoid 1L students and the wave of bs rumors and false propoganda that circulates like cow droppings.  It stinks and no one wants to be around it.  And if the future outlook is that bad, maybe you should decide on a career change.
PS - This was typed after an evening of drinking...so I apologize in advance for the whirlwind this may cause:)