Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Best Cell Phone Company in NYC / surrounding area?

Verizon
 4 (66.7%)
T-Mobile
 1 (16.7%)
U.S. Cellular
 0 (0%)
Unicel
 0 (0%)
Cingular
 1 (16.7%)
Sprint
 0 (0%)
Nextel
 0 (0%)
Other
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 26, 2004, 11:43:28 AM

Author Topic: Best School to Attend - Need some info from the Veterans here!!!  (Read 2732 times)

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
I know there are alot of options here but these are the schools I am considering.  I will probably practice in South Florida.  Where should I attend?!? ???

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Best School to Attend - Need some info from the Veterans here!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 01:06:50 AM »
tough call!!! I'd say go with either the florida school that is ranked highest or Loyola NO

roygbiv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 01:58:28 AM »
Go to school where you want to practice. If there are multiple schools in the area, pick the higher ranked one. You have a tough hill to climb otherwise because all of your choices are highly regional.

I know there are alot of options here but these are the schools I am considering.  I will probably practice in South Florida.  Where should I attend?!? ???

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 02:03:54 AM »
Considering that they're all fairly regional.
If you're sure you want to practice in FL, go to one of the FL schools of course.

BUT if you want a solid college experience, just in case you didn't already get one, I would say Ole Miss. Oxford, MS is a really fun college town and Ole Miss Law grads have a pretty solid alumni network in the Southeast.

University of Denver would be good, if you can see yourself living out your days in Denver.

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 02:37:31 AM »
If you're sure you want to practice in FL, go to one of the FL schools of course.

BUT if you want a solid college experience, just in case you didn't already get one, I would say Ole Miss. Oxford, MS is a really fun college town and Ole Miss Law grads have a pretty solid alumni network in the Southeast.

University of Denver would be good, if you can see yourself living out your days in Denver.

Thanks. Its interesting you brought that up.  I played college baseball so I never really did the whole college thing.  I was up at 5am working out, then classes till noon, then baseball from 2 until dark.  And during the season we were always playing games or traveling.  So I also thought the same idea.  But again, I am thinking that this is time for law school and not time to do the whole college thing.

Also, wouldn't any of those schools get me atleast a descent job if I moved back to South Florida at some point?

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
Re: Best School to Attend - Throwing Crap At A Wall to See What Sticks!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 03:34:09 AM »
I don't mean to be rude, but--it's never good when someone starts that way, you know that they are prolly gonna be rude--what exactly were you thinking when you applied to that seemingly random group of schools? Did you just hang a list of law schools on the wall and throw darts at it?

Why would you apply to Denver, UI-Indy, and Seton Hall knowing that you want to practice in South Florida? While respectable schools, they don't have ANY presence in South Florida! Then to top it off you applied to a bunch of T3/T4 (and barely accredited sub-T4) schools that also have NO South Florida presence. I mean, what exactly was going through your mind? Is there some coherence to that list of schools that I am missing? Do they all have specialty programs in some obscure field like Government Contracting, or Regulatory Licensing?

Hasn't anyone told you that most law schools are regional? In other words, only employers in that particular region have heard of it and will recruit from it. So, if you go to John Marshall (Atlanta), for instance, you have zero chance of getting a job in South Florida.

May I ask why you didn't apply to obvious choices like UF, FSU, Miami--only ranks five spots above Seton Hall & Denver and it is actually in South Florida--Nova SE, Stetson, St. Thomas, or Barry?
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
Re: Best School to Attend - Wait Just A Gosh Darn Second!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 03:51:54 AM »
wait a minute... you are a 0L... you can't get one past me... i is sharp like a knife.

i believe you were looking for this site: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/

they are far more understanding of this sort of irrational what-if and obsessing of the application process.

this side is for bitching and moaning about OCI and procrastinating when you are supposed to be writing a Comment.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 11:24:56 AM »
Stay away from FAMU and Florida Coastal. I know they're in Florida, but they have 0 rep in Florida at all. You'd be better served going to Ole Miss or Loyola if you want to work in South Florida than those two.

Seton Hall is interesting though, just for the fact that there are so many NJ/NY transplants in South Florida. That might actually provide you with some contacts.

Thanks. Its interesting you brought that up.  I played college baseball so I never really did the whole college thing.  I was up at 5am working out, then classes till noon, then baseball from 2 until dark.  And during the season we were always playing games or traveling.  So I also thought the same idea.  But again, I am thinking that this is time for law school and not time to do the whole college thing.

Also, wouldn't any of those schools get me atleast a descent job if I moved back to South Florida at some point?

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 12:47:06 PM »
Attend the one with the cheapest tuition.

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 01:22:32 PM »
Ahh, Ron Jeremy...didnt you learn in law school assumptions are the mother of all fu&$ ups?:)....I never said I didnt apply to UM, UF, or FSU.  I did apply their but didn't get in.  I applied to Denver, Seton Hall, etc. on a part time basis and got in.  I can always switch to to the full time program at some point or do well and transfer out after my first year.
A zero chance of getting a job from John Marshall in ATL if I want to work in Florida?  I seriously doubt that.