Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Living in Atlanta - Apartments?  (Read 1075 times)

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
Living in Atlanta - Apartments?
« on: March 01, 2007, 12:34:20 AM »
Hey so I may be on the way to John Marshall Law School in Atlanta in August.  Can I get any advice from Atlanta natives or law school students in Atlanta.  There seems to be hundreds of apartment complexes in Mid-town.  I just want something close to the school in a good area.
Thx...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Living in Atlanta - Apartments?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 07:31:47 AM »
The Post complexes usually aren't bad.  You can do better in terms of rent, but they're usually quality apartment complexes.  I'd recommending taking a weekend and coming to check places out.  My leasing office at least keeps good hours on the weekends, and are happy to show people around.  Complexes are not equal, and some of my friends ended up having bugs and all kinds of nastiness.  (they didn't have a chance to come and look, and just picked an apartment complex in a decent neighborhood near the school).

Buckhead is a nice area to live in.  Lots of people rent out apartments and small houses in Decatur, which I absolutely love.  I'm not sure about areas any nearer to downtown and John Marshall though.  From either of these 2 places, you're commute wouldn't be too bad.

VawlGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 12:33:39 PM »
Check with Promove - they're a free apartment locating service for Atlanta.  A few of my friends have used them with good results (they get you good move-in specials, etc.)  I'm working with them now ti find somewhere for the hall...hopefully they're as good as I've heard.

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 07:47:29 PM »
Thanks, do you both live in Atlanta?

VawlGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 10:25:02 PM »
I live in Knoxville now.  I graduate from law school in May and then I'm headed (back) to Atlanta to work.  It's a great city!

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 11:46:47 PM »
Sounds good.  Where are you graduating from?  May I send you an email and pick your brain about ATL?:)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 10:57:33 AM »
Check with Promove - they're a free apartment locating service for Atlanta.  A few of my friends have used them with good results (they get you good move-in specials, etc.)  I'm working with them now ti find somewhere for the hall...hopefully they're as good as I've heard.

Absolutely call Promove.  Its free, they will do all the leg work.  You can find your perfect apartment in a single day. This is definitely your best bet.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 11:58:13 AM »
Midtown along Piedmont Ave or Peachtree St. between Ponce and 14 st. is arguably the best neighborhood in the city if you care about being able to walk to bars/restaurants etc.  It is also close to John Marshall, which is on W. Peachtree at about 17th st.  Problem is that there aren't any nice apartment complexes in that area that don't cost a fortune and pro-move only deals with complexes.  Check out www.creativeloafing.com to find something more affordable from a private small scale landlord.

chaser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 12:22:06 PM »
I would say check the Creative Loafing, which is free, check craigslist.org, and check the Homefinder section of the Atlanta Journal on Sunday.

Midtown is a nice area, by and large.
"Civilization is the process of reducing the infinite to the finite."  Oliver Wendell Holmes

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 08:43:54 PM »
you also might want to check out www.rentlist.net.  It is mainly condos rented out by the owners.