Law School Discussion

Georgetown vs. BU $$$

zephyr

• View Profile
Re: Georgetown vs. BU $$$ -- and what about Cornell?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 02:51:13 PM »
Thank for the advice, everyone. I'm visiting Cornell on Friday, so I'd like to throw that into the equation. How does that compare?

And at this point in my life, I don't think I'm "dead set" on public interest (or anything for that matter), but I do see myself in a gov't legal career.

Bob D

Re: Georgetown vs. BU $$$
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 03:01:57 PM »
"Would I be making a grave mistake if I chose it over Georgetown with no money? "

I really do believe you are making a grave mistake by going to BU. I did what you plan to do, go to the cheaper school, and I regretted it forever.

Could you elaborate a little bit?

Read my last post on the "What law school has the best quality of life?" thread.

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 04:03:16 PM »
Dude this board is for bitching about actual lawschool work and for arguing with each other over petty *&^%. Go take your Georgetown vs. BU$$$ thread over to the kiddie board.

And as a side note, does anyone else find that whenever you see one of these stupid "I've been accepted to a higher ranked school with no money, but also a slightly lower ranked school with money" questions, the OP inevitably states "graduating with little to no debt is important to me...because I'm looking to work in public service/interest/military" yadda yadda yadda....

So what are these people retarded? How the hell did they get into these schools in the first place? They go on with this long question, and then they basically answer it when "explaining thier situation."

Help me ponder this...

I received a $30k per year scholarship from BU, nearly full tuition. Would I be making a grave mistake if I chose it over Georgetown with no money? I haven't received GULC's financial aid package yet, but I am assuming that my numbers aren't going to be getting me much money, if any.

Graduating with very little debt is important to me. I'm coming straight from UG and I'm really not tied down or anything, but I would like to be able to start saving for a down payment on a house, buy a car, and start a family after law school. I'd also prefer not to have to eat ramen noodles three meals a day for a decade after I graduate(WAAY too much sodium).

My interests are in public service/interest, maybe doing policy stuff or working for the DOJ or US Attorney's office. I am not interested in biglaw. BU would give me some flexibility to work in a field that I enjoy and not be forced into working 70 hours/wk in a firm. However, Georgetown location and connections in DC make it one of the best places for someone with my career interests.

I'm from the Boston area and would prefer to work in New England after graduation.

I loved Georgetown when I visited, but the BU offer really surprised me and I am now leaning toward the cheaper option. Is Georgetown worth the HUGE debt in the long run, or would I be crazy to pass up a ton of money at a well regarded school?

Obviously these are still hypotheticals and a lot could change, but I would appreciate some of your thoughts to help me with this decision.

Ronald Hyatt

• Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 04:10:52 PM »
Dude this board is for bitching about actual lawschool work and for arguing with each other over petty *&^%. Go take your Georgetown vs. BU$$$ thread over to the kiddie board.

And as a side note, does anyone else find that whenever you see one of these stupid "I've been accepted to a higher ranked school with no money, but also a slightly lower ranked school with money" questions is asked, the OP inevitably states "graduating with little to no debt is important to me...because I'm looking to work in public service/interest/military" yadda yadda yadda....

So what are these people retarded? How the hell did they get into these schools in the first place? They go on with this long question, and then they basically answer thier own questions in the first place.

TITCR

zephyr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »

And as a side note, does anyone else find that whenever you see one of these stupid "I've been accepted to a higher ranked school with no money, but also a slightly lower ranked school with money" questions is asked, the OP inevitably states "graduating with little to no debt is important to me...because I'm looking to work in public service/interest/military" yadda yadda yadda....

So what are these people retarded? How the hell did they get into these schools in the first place? They go on with this long question, and then they basically answer thier own questions in the first place.

TITCR

Forgive me for troubling you. I guess I'm supposed to make this decision first, and then I've earned the right to discuss specific issues on the "General" board.

I was hoping I'd get some advice from some people who have made these decisions and have had a year or two to reflect on them. The "kiddie" board is mostly applicants like myself who do not have the benefit of your experiences, so I'd rather not rely on the conventional wisdom of the LSD pre-law board. In a year or two I'll be happy to give some advice to someone in my current position. Unfortunately you don't feel the same way.

And if I've answered my own question I wish you'd point it out for me, because I can't seem to find it yet.

Ronald Hyatt

• Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 09:53:16 PM »
Forgive me for troubling you. I guess I'm supposed to make this decision first, and then I've earned the right to discuss specific issues on the "General" board.

I was hoping I'd get some advice from some people who have made these decisions and have had a year or two to reflect on them. The "kiddie" board is mostly applicants like myself who do not have the benefit of your experiences, so I'd rather not rely on the conventional wisdom of the LSD pre-law board. In a year or two I'll be happy to give some advice to someone in my current position. Unfortunately you don't feel the same way.

And if I've answered my own question I wish you'd point it out for me, because I can't seem to find it yet.

Your apology sounds less than sincere, but to show you how big a guy I am, I will forgive you anyway.

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 09:02:38 AM »
Yes you did answer your own question. You said you didn't want a lot of debt, and you were looking to do public interest/policy. Those are low paying jobs, you will have a lot less debt if you go to BU instead of GT. So I think you have your answer. (which you did give yourself)

TITCR

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 09:30:09 AM »
You got money, you wanna practice in that area...what were you deciding again? Oh, whether you want to be a rank whore or not?

shellrae007

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
sounds like you've made up your mind (as everyone else has already pointed out).  Go to BU.