Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown vs. BU $$$  (Read 1598 times)

zephyr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Georgetown vs. BU $$$
« on: February 28, 2007, 05:49:05 PM »
Help me ponder this...

I received a $30k per year scholarship from BU, nearly full tuition. Would I be making a grave mistake if I chose it over Georgetown with no money? I haven't received GULC's financial aid package yet, but I am assuming that my numbers aren't going to be getting me much money, if any.

Graduating with very little debt is important to me. I'm coming straight from UG and I'm really not tied down or anything, but I would like to be able to start saving for a down payment on a house, buy a car, and start a family after law school. I'd also prefer not to have to eat ramen noodles three meals a day for a decade after I graduate(WAAY too much sodium).

My interests are in public service/interest, maybe doing policy stuff or working for the DOJ or US Attorney's office. I am not interested in biglaw. BU would give me some flexibility to work in a field that I enjoy and not be forced into working 70 hours/wk in a firm. However, Georgetown location and connections in DC make it one of the best places for someone with my career interests.

I'm from the Boston area and would prefer to work in New England after graduation.

I loved Georgetown when I visited, but the BU offer really surprised me and I am now leaning toward the cheaper option. Is Georgetown worth the HUGE debt in the long run, or would I be crazy to pass up a ton of money at a well regarded school?

Obviously these are still hypotheticals and a lot could change, but I would appreciate some of your thoughts to help me with this decision.
Jim McAllister: Larry, we're not electing the f-ing Pope here. Just tell me who won. -Election

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
Re: Georgetown vs. BU $$$
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 05:52:34 PM »
For public interest, go with BU and money.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 12:08:10 AM »
im a 1L at BU and i def think it makes sense to go here in your position, esp considering you want to stay in new england area and debt is an issue. BU is very well respected, IMO and most of my 3L friends are doing great job-wise.  I know its not a T14, but at number 22 it aint too shabby

if u have any questions about it, send me a message :)

sprite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 01:29:33 AM »
i'm in a similar situation, only i'm looking at $40,000 a year from BU versus probably no money at harvard.  i also want to do public interest, and am concerned about not having my debt paid off by the time my boyfriend and i think that we want to start a family.

suzie, would your advice change given the option of harvard?

zephyr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 12:50:58 PM »
Thanks for your input, Suzie. How does BU do as far as public service jobs go? I see more of an emphasis on it at BC, and the career placement numbers match that. And where do you stand as far as the BC v. BU argument goes? Did you choose BU over BC? If so, why? I'm planning a visit to BU on Monday.

Sprite, I'm not sure about your position. Isn't it true that Harvard only gives out money based on need? I'm not sure of your financial situation, but maybe you'll get some need-based grants from them? They must have some money to throw around. I'd imagine their LRAP is the balls too.
Jim McAllister: Larry, we're not electing the f-ing Pope here. Just tell me who won. -Election

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 06:31:29 PM »
i did choose BU over BC.  I chose it over GW and fordham as well for one reason only: $$$.  they didnt give me as much as you guys (i only got 15k a year) but that was worth something to me cuz the rankings were so similar at all the above schools. plus i really only want to be in NY and BU places better in NY then GW/BC. 

BUT now that im here i must say, that I definitly think that i made a great choice. the professors are INCREDIBLE.  well they've been consistently ranked in princeton review rankings i dont know how many years in a row as being the number 2 law school for best professors (W &L was number one) by "best" i mean in terms of teaching ability, style, etc.

in terms of public interest, I think we do okay. im in the process of  applying for a public interest grant now, a nd it seems the school is deovted to helping you, i got a lot of help from CDO and i just landed an internship i really wanted in NY. 

the school really is great.  the building is ugly but the quality of the students are excellent and so is the reputation.

as for sprite:  im not sure if you take it over harvard. but if you are DEAD SET on public interest then maybe.  b/c no matter WHERE you go its still less then 50k a year post graduation..

kolya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 04:45:28 AM »
Woah there, hold on a second.  They're both great schools, but GT is just a bit better in everything, plus it's inside the somewhat arbitrary T14 bracket.  Debt means a lot when going into low-paying public service jobs, but have you seen GT's loan repayment assistance programs?  You should check it out at http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/lrap/.  It pretty much makes public interest doable for any GT grad, and their connections/reputation will open up many more doors for you, especially in DC.

Bob D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 10:19:41 AM »
"Would I be making a grave mistake if I chose it over Georgetown with no money? "

I really do believe you are making a grave mistake by going to BU. I did what you plan to do, go to the cheaper school, and I regretted it forever.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 02:17:38 PM »
if biglaw was the desired end result then it would have to be GT hands down - though if the OP is *dead set* on public interest then BU ($$$) is the easy pick.

what is full price tuition at GT? 35g a year?

whatever it is, the OP should figure out the price differential and compare that against the average income for entry level attnys in teh public interest sector. factor in interest, account for raises, etc. and try to get an idea of how long you'll be paying off your GT loans...

yeah, GT is a great school but it isn't so significantly  better (esp when you consider that the OP wants to stay in the boston area) than BU that a student would be justified in turning down $$$ when the desired end result is a career in public interest ....

zephyr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 05:49:50 PM »
"Would I be making a grave mistake if I chose it over Georgetown with no money? "

I really do believe you are making a grave mistake by going to BU. I did what you plan to do, go to the cheaper school, and I regretted it forever.

Could you elaborate a little bit?