Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hofstra's Curve?  (Read 5787 times)

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hofstra's Curve?
« on: February 27, 2007, 04:05:09 PM »
Hey All,
     Anyone know what the curve is like at Hofstra? I just got accepted with a merit scholarship that requires me to maintain a 3.25 GPA. Any idea what sort of class standing that's like? Top 1/3? Top 1/4? I'd hate to go in and find out the hard way that only the top 10% of the class breaks a 3.25...
Thanks,
Rob

PS: Anyone going to the Accepted Student Open House in late March?

St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
Re: Hofstra's Curve?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 04:13:02 PM »
Hofstra knows: http://law.hofstra.edu/StudentLife/StudentAffairs/Handbook/stuhb_chapter_2.html#academic_regulations

------
Students are marked on the following grading scale, using both letter grades and quality points.
A   4.00   C   2.00
A-  3.67   C-  1.67
B+  3.33   D+  1.33
B   3.00   D   1.00
B-  2.67   F   0.00
C+  2.33 

Students are required to maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0. Students failing to maintain this average are subject to academic probation or dismissal as indicated below.

. . .

the teacher shall assign grades to the J.D. students in the course so that the mean class GPA falls between 3.0 and 3.2 and also complies with the following:

A or higher…………….No more than 10%
A- or higher……………No more than 25%
C+ or lower……………At least 15%
C- or lower…………….At least 6%
------
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hofstra's Curve?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 04:28:01 PM »
Ah, thanks... so it looks like I'll need to keep close to a B+ average to keep the scholarship. I wonder what percentage of their incoming 1L class comes in with a merit scholarship and how many of those still have the scholarship for their 2L year?
Thanks,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY