Law School Discussion

Interview tips you wish you knew before you went!

brewha

• I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Interview tips you wish you knew before you went!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 09:15:05 AM »
Be sure you have a good answer to "What will you bring to our organization?"  It's another one of those BS interview questions that some people still like to ask (along with the aforementioend "Name your weaknesses").

Most interviews I've had, were more like pleasant conversations than interviews.  They go along the lines of "Oh, I see you worked here-or-there, tell me about what you did," or "That's an impressive award; how did you qualify, or why did you win it?"  (I'm a 0L, but all my post-undergrad work expereince has been in the legal field, so all my interviews have been conducted by attorneys).

Time to drop the lawschoolnumbers on your signature.  No one on this side of the board cares what you did in undergrad or where you applied/accepted/rejected.  That is for the kiddie board.

GA-fan

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 07:20:41 AM »
All of the questions above are signals of a lazy interviewer, IMO. Or just trying to give you enough rope to hang yourself. The "what are your biggest weaknesses" question can only lose you the job, you can't win it. Don't mention your lack of organization skills or your inability to take constructive criticism. I still use the canned "I don't know when to stop revising/leave it alone" response, because you just don't want to shoot yourself in the foot. And pray that this is in the middle of hte interview where you can answer it and divert rather than the beginning or hte end where they'll actually remember your response.

rugercaptain

• Shirley, Probie, & Sarah--gone to Rainbow Bridge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 09:11:28 PM »
I hate the question, "What are your weaknesses?" I always want to punch the interviewer in the face whenever I hear that one. What a lame question.

Turn the answer to this question into a positive for the employer/firm.  As in, "My greatest weakness is that I'm very detailed-oriented and somewhat of a perfectionist.  I don't feel comfortable submitting a project/memo until I know I've researched all of the pertinent information."  

Whatever your "weakness" is, it must be perceived as a strength by the potential employer.

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 12:00:59 AM »
I, too, use the "My greatest weakness is that I'm a bit of a perfectionist" bit. Works everytime. Employers LOVE hearing that one.

rugercaptain

• Shirley, Probie, & Sarah--gone to Rainbow Bridge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 08:33:32 AM »
I, too, use the "My greatest weakness is that I'm a bit of a perfectionist" bit. Works everytime. Employers LOVE hearing that one.

I'm an old-fart non-trad...I learned that trick a long time ago.   ;)

When I interviewed for my current position twenty years ago, I had to remind myself that the goal was to get the job, not piss-off the interviewer.  The fire chief, an uneducated, boorish, sexist, egotistical boob, asked me these obviously illegal questions (illegal even back then):  Are you married?  Planning on getting married?  Are you gonna have children and quit?  My god, I was HOT.  But I wanted the job so I politely answered "no," "no," and "no" to assuage his fears of hiring a "girl" to do a "man's" job.   ::)   But I really wanted to grab him by his collar brass and lay him out to whaleshit.   :D

I am really looking forward to leaving the fire service and starting law school this fall...  

Weezer1223

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 04:37:24 PM »
Just be yourself. I spent hours preparing for all the standard interview questions. When I actually did the interview, the attorneys never asked those questions. With one guy we had a conversation about Jamaba Juice (I worked there) and at another firm we talked about hunting and OU football.

I was kind of thrown of track, to be honest.

jd06

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 04:55:15 PM »
Just be yourself. I spent hours preparing for all the standard interview questions. When I actually did the interview, the attorneys never asked those questions. With one guy we had a conversation about Jamaba Juice (I worked there) and at another firm we talked about hunting and OU football.

I was kind of thrown of track, to be honest.

Great advice.  Your resume tells the employer what a legal eagle you are. If we didn't think you could do the work we wouldn't be talking to you.  At my firm, what we really want to know is whether you'll "fit in."  Simple as that.