Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When to send transfer applications?  (Read 1271 times)

BME_Law

• View Profile
When to send transfer applications?
« on: February 27, 2007, 09:33:07 AM »
Does the transfer group follow some sort of rolling admissions or just accepted/rejected? 

Do you suggest sending the applications ASAP or waiting until I am confident that I have everything I need on the application?  For example, we have a 1L Moot Court competition from the middle to the end of March.  My application and statements are done, but I was thinking about waiting until the end of March to see if I win the competition.  I feel as though this would look good on my transfer application if I won the competition or did well (made the finals).

ETA: The application(s) are not due until May 1 and would go out the last week in March (if I wait).  The files do not need to be completed until July 1.  If I do not wait until the competition, I would send them out beginning of March.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
Re: When to send transfer applications?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 10:50:53 AM »
Your apps are May 1? Where are you applying? I applied to three schools last year and I didn't send any of them in until sometime during June.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 11:04:54 AM »
and prepare to be frustrated with some of the schools dragging their heels no matter how early you send them in. go to the Yahoo group and read old threads from late last July through August and you will see us all bitching about which schools we had been calling and pushing for an answer. maybe it would be a good idea to text search those messages for the schools you are interested in to see if they were one of the later ones. (harvard and stanford were especially bad, if i remember)
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 12:29:46 PM »
I doubt you will find out until the last week of July no matter how early you apply.

BME_Law

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 01:30:09 PM »
I doubt you will find out until the last week of July no matter how early you apply.

First, thanks for the responses.

Second, I am not sure which school it is because I am not back at my apartment (have everything laid out there).  Only the application portion is due May 1, not the entire file (LOR, transcripts, certification, etc.).  Two schools are due June 30 or July 1 for the entire thing (application included).  On the application, it asks the other schools to which I am applying.  Does it look better to say "none" (not a lie, but consciously decide to only apply to one)?  When I sign the application, I am essentially saying that everything on it is true.  What if I think that is the only one I want to apply to, then change my mind later?

I am not worried about when I hear back.  I was concerned with the process: rolling admissions or simply admit/reject.  I figured that the sooner I get my application in the better, but since my file won't be completed until later I guess it won't really matter.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 02:18:48 PM »
First, thanks for the responses.

Second, I am not sure which school it is because I am not back at my apartment (have everything laid out there).  Only the application portion is due May 1, not the entire file (LOR, transcripts, certification, etc.).  Two schools are due June 30 or July 1 for the entire thing (application included).  On the application, it asks the other schools to which I am applying.  Does it look better to say "none" (not a lie, but consciously decide to only apply to one)?  When I sign the application, I am essentially saying that everything on it is true.  What if I think that is the only one I want to apply to, then change my mind later?

I am not worried about when I hear back.  I was concerned with the process: rolling admissions or simply admit/reject.  I figured that the sooner I get my application in the better, but since my file won't be completed until later I guess it won't really matter.

I can't imagine that the schools read a whole lot into the "other schools applying to." If I were an AdCom, the only possible thing it might signal is an interest in a particular program. For instance, if you say you are interested in school X because they have a great IP program, but the other schools you've applied to barely have an intro survey course in IP law, your statements might ring hollow. On the other hand, if you say you've also applied to Stanford, Boalt, GWU, Santa Clara, U of Houston, & Cardozo, it shows you aren't just blowing smoke up their ass.

As far as getting your apps in earlier, you hit the nail on the head. Most won't consider you until you are complete. Although, with transfers, since they are so late in the year, some schools make exceptions if you are highly competitive. In the Yahoo group, for instance, there were anecdotes some schools accepting a few folks who were still missing LORs. Other applicants to the same school didn't get any response until their applications were complete. So it can't hurt to get the app in as early as you can, but I wouldn't bend over backward, or sacrifice any preparation time for finals in order to do so.

BME_Law

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 02:39:19 PM »
Makes sense.  That's what I was thinking, but seeing as how I haven't done this before I figured that I would get some feedback.

Thanks for all of the responses and help.

1LHastings

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 01:25:05 PM »
Does the transfer group follow some sort of rolling admissions or just accepted/rejected? 

Do you suggest sending the applications ASAP or waiting until I am confident that I have everything I need on the application?  For example, we have a 1L Moot Court competition from the middle to the end of March.  My application and statements are done, but I was thinking about waiting until the end of March to see if I win the competition.  I feel as though this would look good on my transfer application if I won the competition or did well (made the finals).

ETA: The application(s) are not due until May 1 and would go out the last week in March (if I wait).  The files do not need to be completed until July 1.  If I do not wait until the competition, I would send them out beginning of March.

Don't you need all your grades from the 1st year in order for them to review your file ?  I doubt you'll get those until June right?