Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I got the public interest job I wanted!  (Read 2070 times)

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I got the public interest job I wanted!
« on: February 25, 2007, 01:03:17 PM »
I thought I would put a different perspective on the 1L job hunt.  I ONLY applied to public interest jobs, and got a really fantastic one.  While making tons of money this summer would be nice, I didn't want to sit in a back office exclusively doing research and writing memos all summer.  I went to law school to pursue a public interest career. Though 40% of my classmates wrote personal statements about wanting to do the same, most are now scrambling to get big firm jobs for the summer.  It's kind of hypocritical to me, but to each his own.

Anyway, I got the job through what essentially is a public interest "OCI" process.  Though I didn't get granted an official interview with this organization (I was an "alternate"), I talked my way into meeting with them by handing the interviewer my resume after they were done with the other candidates.  I was offered the position the next afternoon (on Sunday!). 

I am thrilled that I am going to be making a difference this summer, even if it is only for $4,000 in grant money.  :)

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I got the public interest job I wanted!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 01:39:37 PM »

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 06:29:01 PM »
Mmmmmm, I love cookies!  As a matter of fact, they are paying me in Chips Ahoy this summer! ;D

GA-fan

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 08:35:51 PM »
Congrats! Pat yourself on the back, and try not to answer with a huge smile when your panicked classmates ask what you're doing this summer... Now you can relax and study instead of killing time interviewing!

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 09:25:37 PM »
That is great to hear.  What kind of job did you get?
Bumpersticker and Laptop (Attending): MSU '10
Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)
I'm sorry can you hold (WL): American
Dropped call (OUT): OSU

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 11:01:18 PM »
I am working at a public interest minded firm started about 4 years ago by some graduates of my LS.  I will get to do client intake, write motions, briefs and memos and do a lot of research. I also will get the chance to help them build their consumer law practice. They only need me to work 6 hours a day, which will leave plenty of time for me to get a paying job on the side.

Just found out that the dress code is casual.  I can wear jeans if I want!  (except on court/intake days)

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 11:41:02 AM »
Congratulations, I am excited for you!
Bumpersticker and Laptop (Attending): MSU '10
Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)
I'm sorry can you hold (WL): American
Dropped call (OUT): OSU

Buddy Holly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 12:24:31 PM »
I thought I would put a different perspective on the 1L job hunt.  I ONLY applied to public interest jobs, and got a really fantastic one.  While making tons of money this summer would be nice, I didn't want to sit in a back office exclusively doing research and writing memos all summer.  I went to law school to pursue a public interest career. Though 40% of my classmates wrote personal statements about wanting to do the same, most are now scrambling to get big firm jobs for the summer.  It's kind of hypocritical to me, but to each his own.

Anyway, I got the job through what essentially is a public interest "OCI" process.  Though I didn't get granted an official interview with this organization (I was an "alternate"), I talked my way into meeting with them by handing the interviewer my resume after they were done with the other candidates.  I was offered the position the next afternoon (on Sunday!). 

I am thrilled that I am going to be making a difference this summer, even if it is only for $4,000 in grant money.  :)

Congrats! You are right - most people come to law school planning on doing public interest and never even come close to pursuing it. However, some people do go the firm route first and pay off their bills and THEN do public interest.

Anyways, sounds you got an awesome job! Yay!

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 05:55:25 PM »
good for you.

i got a public interest job too, doing legal aid & policy work. the evaluation of applicants was based more on merit than on grades, so i got the job more than a month ago, when grades were not yet available. i've been able to relax while many of my classmates are stressing out about jobs.
case '09

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 12:54:44 AM »
Policy work sounds interesting.  It also is nice to finally be done with worrying about finding a job, isn't it?