Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ave Maria Law School Moving to Florida  (Read 3233 times)

GA-fan

Re: Ave Maria Law School Moving to Florida
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 10:01:16 PM »
Well, then maybe you aren't what the school's looking for anyways. I mean, come on, it needs people that will do well to help establish it more and more as the years progress. Just like every other law school has throughout history.

It doesn't matter if you go there or not, I don't care, but don't act like you know what you are talking about because some random blog you read. They said that the accredidation issue was to be decided after the decision was MADE, not after the MOVE was made. Now they are waiting on that info, which everyone believes they will stay accredited. And the only thing that will change people's minds is if they would lose the accredidation, which should soon be determined. Then they will have a vote and hey, that means they won't move, but that shows you they want what's best for the school.

Also, everyone isn't wanting to work in FL, just like everyone doesn't want to work in MI. It is a national law school, so students get jobs all over the country.

It's clear that you want to be an Ave Maria student. We see that. But there might actually be opinions other than yours that are valid. The school is taking a HUGE risk in this move. You really may not be accredited next year, and you may lose yield for the next several years because the students won't want to pack up and move half way through school. You underestimate the consequences here. This may pay off, but it is a very large gamble to leave your alumni base behind. And a large portion of students will likely suffer for it over the next few years.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 07:03:57 AM »
It is a national law school

Sorry, but this is NOT true.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 12:43:20 PM »
It is a national law school

Sorry, but this is NOT true.

Highly credited. I cannot get over with the amount of Ave Maria trolling that has sprung up in light of the move.

Never have I seen a T4 with more illusions of grandeur. 
Air Force JAG Corps

batgirl789

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 01:35:53 PM »
I think it is unreasonable what the school will do to this years entering class. Ave Maria offered me a nice scholarship, which made me seriously consider attending as I enjoy the idea of exiting law school with minimum student loan debt. But moving twice, from Seattle to Michigan to Florida, is quite unappealing: it will force my husband to change jobs twice, plus the pain of moving all our stuff. I also think this will screw up networking and job opportunities. On their web site, Ave Maria mentions the option of spending the third year of law school as a "visiting student" at another school. But still, it's a lot of work and headache for a lower tier school. I predict that Ave Maria will have fewer people enroll because of the move.

loki13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2007, 01:13:52 PM »
This discussion reminded me of an old saw I learned while applying to law schools...
Q. How do you say Tom Cooley in latin?

A. Ave Maria.

(rimshot)

Seriously, Ave Maria has some nice things going for it for a low-ranked conservative religious law school in Michigan that is uprooting itself to a market oversaturated in low-ranked law schools. And I wish them all the luck in the world. But what they are doing is risky. Maybe it will pay off, and maybe it will go down in flames like a Domino's drive trying to meet the old '30 minutes or less' pledge.

wolfpack2

• Sr. Citizen
  • I should be reading cases....
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2007, 03:20:56 PM »
It doesn't matter if you go there or not, I don't care, but don't act like you know what you are talking about because some random blog you read.

UM I believe I said I could be wrong, and it wasn't from some blog it was from them a few months ago.  Maybe you're taking this a little too personal.

I think it is unreasonable what the school will do to this years entering class. Ave Maria offered me a nice scholarship, which made me seriously consider attending as I enjoy the idea of exiting law school with minimum student loan debt. But moving twice, from Seattle to Michigan to Florida, is quite unappealing: it will force my husband to change jobs twice, plus the pain of moving all our stuff. I also think this will screw up networking and job opportunities. On their web site, Ave Maria mentions the option of spending the third year of law school as a "visiting student" at another school. But still, it's a lot of work and headache for a lower tier school. I predict that Ave Maria will have fewer people enroll because of the move.

I agree with this 100% just replace "husband" with "boyfriend" (although we will be married before my 3rd year). It's not worth the stress of packing up our entire lives for one year in a state full of huge bugs, aligators, and hurricanes. If their students wanted to live in FL they could have applied to one of the many other schools down there.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 12:55:23 PM »
This discussion reminded me of an old saw I learned while applying to law schools...
Q. How do you say Tom Cooley in latin?

A. Ave Maria.

(rimshot)

Seriously, Ave Maria has some nice things going for it for a low-ranked conservative religious law school in Michigan that is uprooting itself to a market oversaturated in low-ranked law schools. And I wish them all the luck in the world. But what they are doing is risky. Maybe it will pay off, and maybe it will go down in flames like a Domino's drive trying to meet the old '30 minutes or less' pledge.

Hilarious. That's worth an increase on the reputation points.
Air Force JAG Corps

sehrwunderbar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2007, 11:44:16 AM »
BTW, what are reputation points and how come mine is -9?

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 09:14:17 PM »
One you post a certain number of times on this board you can either commend or defame a user based on his/her posts. That vote either raises or lowers your LSD reputation. No real rhyme or reason to it other than the impulses of other posters.
Air Force JAG Corps

jcarroll17

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 07:07:25 PM »
One you post a certain number of times on this board you can either commend or defame a user based on his/her posts. That vote either raises or lowers your LSD reputation. No real rhyme or reason to it other than the impulses of other posters.

it is subjective hatefullness ... or popularity... much as will be the practice of law.

cheers! hehe