Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who here f#$#@#g! hates law school right now  (Read 1631 times)

roscoesChicken

• View Profile
Who here f#$#@#g! hates law school right now
« on: February 21, 2007, 10:36:21 AM »
I am at a tier 2 law school, and I am hating my experience.  Its the deadlines, the calling in classes used to force you to read cases, its the intense legal writing papers that are scrutinized down to every last word....on top of that, at a tier 2 you are forced to despise your classmates because of the pressure to get a good class ranking.  I guess this is more of a rant than anything useful to post.  I was just wondering if there is anyone feeling this right now, and are considering dropping to go do work full time in something else more fun and exciting?

Sako

• View Profile
Re: Who here f#$#@#g! hates law school right now
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 12:10:57 PM »
I am at a tier 2 law school, and I am hating my experience.  Its the deadlines,
You hate having to get things done on time...
the calling in classes used to force you to read cases,
You hate having to get your work done...
its the intense legal writing papers that are scrutinized down to every last word
You hate having the quality of your work examined...
....on top of that, at a tier 2 you are forced to despise your classmates because of the pressure to get a good class ranking.
You hate having to earn what you get and competing with other people...
  I guess this is more of a rant than anything useful to post.  I was just wondering if there is anyone feeling this right now, and are considering dropping to go do work full time in something else more fun and exciting?

Yea, I don't think that the legal profession is for you. 

On the other hand though, I'm not sure what that collection of characteristics does qualify you for. ::)

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 12:20:37 PM »
I am at a tier 2 law school, and I am hating my experience.  Its the deadlines, the calling in classes used to force you to read cases, its the intense legal writing papers that are scrutinized down to every last word....on top of that, at a tier 2 you are forced to despise your classmates because of the pressure to get a good class ranking.  I guess this is more of a rant than anything useful to post.  I was just wondering if there is anyone feeling this right now, and are considering dropping to go do work full time in something else more fun and exciting?

It's cheaper to quit now than to incur more debt for an unfun and unexciting profession.

Last I knew, law school wasn't manditory.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 12:33:36 PM »
This reminds me of a scene in Scrubs:

JD: Did you really have trouble with metabolic diseases?
Cox: No...I'm a good doctor.

1. I'm sure everyone feels "this" right now b/c it is law school. It is the universal experience. Most people are not pussies about it though.

2. Most jobs/anything worth doing in a professional context will not be "fun and exciting."

Sack it up and/or grow up.
Air Force JAG Corps

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 12:49:15 PM »

I'm pretty the point of all of that is to prepare you for the legal profession though.  Once you get past the first year I think you'll enjoy it a lot more.

UHLAW09

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 01:34:53 PM »
I'm at a tier 2, and I can say at times its stressful, but I dont hate it. HOWEVER,  I have begun to depise 90% of my classmates, but that's really just because I'm around them constantly and their voices/mannerisms have begun to get to me. haha.

I'd say just push on, everyone has a day like this regardless of what they do

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 02:13:41 PM »
I'm at a tier 2, and I can say at times its stressful, but I dont hate it. HOWEVER,  I have begun to depise 90% of my classmates, but that's really just because I'm around them constantly and their voices/mannerisms have begun to get to me. haha.

I'd say just push on, everyone has a day like this regardless of what they do

Is anyone else out there in a situation like me where 90% of their classmates are genuinely good people who will help you out when you need that help?  I find that a huge group of my old 1L section still attends entire section parties and we all generally get along.  Is this an anamoly?
pudding is delightful

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 03:13:02 PM »
I have days where I can barely tolerate most of my classmates. As far as hating law school goes, I like law school but I hate whoever is in charge of scheduling for this semester.

We had mock trial last weekend, client counseling comp this weekend,  journal competition is over the whole next weekend (which is the first end of spring break) THEN the week after spring break our appellate briefs are due AND the moot court competition begins. All the big events this semester are compounded into a 3 week period. It kinda pisses me off, but I guess it's better than having any of it right before finals.

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest.

UHLAW09

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 06:34:22 PM »
I have days where I can barely tolerate most of my classmates.

I think this is what I was more trying to say. I dont actually hate my classmates as people(aside from maybe 2-3% of them.) In the end most of them are great people who really would help you out and if they asked for help I'd be more than willing to give it. What I was saying was that sometimes being around the same people all the time you get to notice the little things and then combined wtih stress and lack of sleep you begin to hate them. it's not really personal.

I'm sure we'll all be at our section parties.

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 08:11:37 PM »
I have days where I can barely tolerate most of my classmates. As far as hating law school goes, I like law school but I hate whoever is in charge of scheduling for this semester.

We had mock trial last weekend, client counseling comp this weekend,  journal competition is over the whole next weekend (which is the first end of spring break) THEN the week after spring break our appellate briefs are due AND the moot court competition begins. All the big events this semester are compounded into a 3 week period. It kinda pisses me off, but I guess it's better than having any of it right before finals.

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest.

In four weeks you'll be able to congratulate yourself for a job well done and treat yourself for a weekend